ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How to wear out an extremely active toddler inside the house

Ideas on how to wear out an extremely active toddler inside the house?

I've tried dancing but it only last a few minutes before he loses interest

We don't have much space so can't fit a trampoline etc inside

We have been going to rhyme time at the library on Fridays but this is no longer working so I need to find something more active for us to do.

I've been looking at kindergym at the pcyc but so far I'm not having much luck getting there - they are either not easily accessible by public transport or will involve me getting a peak hour train with a pram, which will be a nightmare. So I'm still working on that one & need ideas to wear him out in the meantime until I figure something out in terms of transport

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Obstacle course around the house - eg, crawl under the kitchen table, weave in and out of the chairs, make a tunnel with kitcken chairs to crawl through, jump on the bed (or a mattress on the floor if you are opposed to jumping on beds), get a step ladder and put it behind the couch so the child can climb up the ladder and over the couch, (or actually - a step ladder next to any furniture!), rolling a ball on the floor, put a pile of pillows next to the bed/couch/ coffee table/kitchen chair/ whichever piece of furniture you are happy to be stood on, and they can jump off and 'crash' onto the pile of pillows, do animal walks around the house (crab, bunny rabbit, elephant, etc), a gym ball to roll on and bounce on, etc! We quite often do 'indoor playground' or 'indoor onstacle courses' where I encourage my kids to climb and jump on the (safe/sturdy) furniture - eg, they walk across the coffee table, jump onto the couch, crawl across the couch then crash onto a pile of pillows on the floor... and repeat! I also bring in a little slide and mini trampoline that we usually have outside, but it's not neccesary if you dont have space. My kids also love doing yoga with me. If you're not comfortable with climbing on furniture, lots of these activities can still be done without climbing Be creative in the space you have.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

allatsea  (27-02-2017),BettyV  (27-02-2017),binnielici  (28-02-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (27-02-2017),rosey82  (27-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is 2.5 and enjoys yoga with me and doing up a little obstacle course inside - you can put a little mattress on the floor to do somersaults etc. the physio at community health had some really good handouts with ideas

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

allatsea  (27-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    And balloons - DD will play with balloons for aaaaaages! We get out her little golf set and bat them to each other

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Mod-Wise Enough  (28-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Can you use a baby carrier on the train instead of taking the pram?
    Do you have any parks or playgrounds or school ovals in walking distance?
    Is there a local community playgroup at a community center of school?
    Can he go to childcare for a few hours? That always exhausts my dd.
    When I don't want to take dd anywhere I just walk her up and down our street. We walk on the footpath and I hold her hand as much as I can (she hates it) and I walk on the road side of the footpath. I am not averse to using a harness one day in the near future if needed too.
    Aside from that I don't think there's really much opportunity to really tire a toddler out inside the house.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

allatsea  (27-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    https://www.google.com.au/search?q=c...wEVk_qWR8r-zM:

not sure if the link above will work - but if you can find someone handy with a sewing machine, a tent/ cubby house over thenkitchen table
    is perfect for small spaces. It can be very basic!
    Another idea is rolling around on a skatebaord on his belly.
    Or - a small bike called a 'scuttle bug' is great for toddlers and folds completely flat - I can fit it in my handbag! I bring oura inside for my toddler all the time.
    Would he engage in more fine-motor activities such as playdough with you up at the table?
    My 4 year old does OT - so basically all movement related activities - in a tiny room, & I'm amazed at how muxh the OT can get her to do in such a small space. Also, trawl pinterest for ideas - it's a gold mine!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

allatsea  (27-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a 2 year old DS as well who needs to burn energy at home. Some of the things we like to do....
    We like to play hide the toy - I'll choose three or four of his small animals and hide them (in obvious places) then call him back into the room and he has to run around to find them as quickly as he can and bring them back to me.
    We also play firemen a lot (toddler obsessed with fireman Sam!) I make him a little cubby house under the table for his fire station, while he's playing in there I set up 'emergency stations' so a couple of printed out pictures of fires stuck round the room, a few toy cats stuck up trees (balanced on the sofa, coffee table etc) and he runs out of his fire station pretending to drive his fire engine to rescue everyone.
    We read the book about going on a bear hunt then reenact it ourselves with added situations to make the game last longer, his favourite is pretending we're stuck in mud!
    Hope this helps 😊

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Daydreaming For This Useful Post:

allatsea  (27-02-2017),binnielici  (28-02-2017),Redcorset  (28-02-2017),rosey82  (27-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    Can you use a baby carrier on the train instead of taking the pram?
    Do you have any parks or playgrounds or school ovals in walking distance?
    Is there a local community playgroup at a community center of school?
    Can he go to childcare for a few hours? That always exhausts my dd.
    When I don't want to take dd anywhere I just walk her up and down our street. We walk on the footpath and I hold her hand as much as I can (she hates it) and I walk on the road side of the footpath. I am not averse to using a harness one day in the near future if needed too.
    Aside from that I don't think there's really much opportunity to really tire a toddler out inside the house.
    Unfortunately he's never been worn so he won't tolerate it now. I also have a chronic neck issue so I don't think I could start now that he weighs 15kgs

He goes to daycare 3 days a week & it definitely tires him out!

We already go to a playgroup on a Thursday. I can see if I can find another one that runs on a Friday

We have playgrounds that we can get to. However, for me sunscreen is not negotiable - wear it or don't go outside. Mostly these days it ends up being don't go outside, which is why I'm hunting for indoor activities to wear him out.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How to wear out an extremely active toddler inside the house

Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    And balloons - DD will play with balloons for aaaaaages! We get out her little golf set and bat them to each other
    This is what we do with DS he also enjoys chasing his control cars around, or his bowling set.

And we use a monkey backpack harness on him when out as he doesn't like the pram much anymore & do to a back injury I can't chase after him. He likes wearing it & it keeps him from running off.
    Last edited by MyDino; 27-02-2017 at 21:54.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MyDino For This Useful Post:

allatsea  (27-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allatsea View Post
    We have playgrounds that we can get to. However, for me sunscreen is not negotiable - wear it or don't go outside. Mostly these days it ends up being don't go outside, which is why I'm hunting for indoor activities to wear him out.
    Sunscreen used to be a cause of constant arguments here at that age. It got SOMEWHAT better when we made it a routine thing - sunscreen done every morning after breakfast. We've dropped the ball on that a bit, but the arguments are nothing like they used to be...DD knows it's a non-negotiable now.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

allatsea  (27-02-2017)