+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would call them and explain why, I would have no problem coming without DS but as some pp have mentioned some people may or just don't have babysitters, if they are good friends they will understand but don't put it on Facebook, call them all and make it more personalised

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there, its totally fine to specify no kids, absolutely. Since invites have already gone out, i would give a quick call to each guest. Be prepared that some won't be able to make it, but stick with it if you want a child free event. All the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't see any problem with telling people not to bring kids. If you're inviting people who know you well I'm sure they'll understand. It's your baby shower and you're not obliged to have kids at it.
    As a PP said I'd probably allow newborns only as they're not going to be getting into any mischief and they certainly don't need to be catered for.
    As long as you understand that some won't be able to come, it's all good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I think it's fine to say no kids allowed as long as you don't get offended if some of your friends can't make it.

Since inviteshave already gone out via FB could you send another group FB message saying something like "I forgot to write it on the original invite but I just wanted to let you all know that the baby shower will be adults only/ no children. Please let me know if you will still be able to attend. Thanks for understanding".

I wouldn't be offended by a message like that at all and if DH or my mum couldn't babysit I just wouldn't go, no big deal.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl  (27-02-2017),SuperGranny  (28-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am not a first- time mum by any means (currently pregnant with my 4th) & I would be more than happy to attend a child-free baby shower - in fact, I would expect it to be child free unless otherwise specified (newborns excepted). I go to heaps of child-free outings, dinner with girlfriends, movies, etc - DH doesnt work weekends or nights so we both make sure each other gets some kid-free time. I hate the idea that all the kids have to go absolutely everywhere the parents go.

so that said... since it wasnt specified on the invite, I'd just add a comment on the fbook invite saying it will be a child-free baby shower (infants excepted). I would hope for your sake that your friends will understand!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

littleriv  (27-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Havent read all previous posts - but I'd say, "this is an adult only event"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Having had a shower last May i strategically had my invites for my ladies to come and enjoy a high tea with a touch of champers. Bring your relaxation shoes and minds as we enjoy each other's company with just the girls.

I had to have 1 child there but she is completely well mannered and 10. I didn't want kids there either but was ok with 1 as her mum asked if it was ok. It was also a high tea with all of my late grandmas Royal Albert tea sets brought out for the Occassion. Some of friends where actually scared to use them becuse of the age and value of it all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I seriously misread the title of this thread and thought you were asking how to have a child free shower - as in one with running water.

I didn't have a baby shower but went to a few and they were all child free and don't think it was spelled out other than the invite was only to me

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (27-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    As the invites are already out you may have some who cannot attend if they dont have husbands home or babysitters free.

I like to attend things without my children occasionally but circumstances dont always make that possible.

Tell them asap to give them time to try and reorganise

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never 'assume' I can take my kids to events hosted by child free friends. I went to a shower recently & was actually surprised that people had their kids their as it didn't say you could/couldn't on the invite.

I kind of assume a shower is a fairly civilized affair though & best to leave kids at home (babies are ok though).

If I was you, I'd follow up & say it's an adults only affair & chance to enjoy each other's company before baby. But expect some people can't make it because of that. And expect babies to come.