+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Child free baby shower request - how to ask people to leave their kids at home?

Ok so invites have gone out via FB for my baby shower (around 25 girls invited).
    It's at my house which isn't massive and can really only accommodate that volume of people.
    I also have only catered for that many people.
    99% of the guests have kids and it would quickly turn into 40-50ish people if they all brought their kids.
    I really don't want a bunch of 0-10 year olds at my shower (not my idea of a relaxed time with my friends prior to bubs birth).
    I haven't specified but after a comment today at work I think I need to let people know that they need to leave their humans at home.
    Question: How do I do this without coming across rude ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You have to keep in mind that your friends may not be able to arrange babysitting. So for some of them it will be, welcome them with their children or not at all.

How to put it politely? I can't think of a way that won't upset anybody, maybe just "child free event" on the invite? Now that you've already send it out, maybe just specify it on the event page?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh, that's a tough one hunni. I'd perhaps not make it child fee altogether, but politely ask that they leave the kids at home if it's possible as you'd like everyone to have a relaxed, stress free time. That should cut down on some of them. Then for the ladies that have no alternative, ask them to bring snacks for the children as it's only catered for adults. Other than that, I can only think that you'll encounter some indignant friends. Good luck, I hope you work it out. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe put up a post reminding them that it is at home and your house is a little small to accomodate their children, you won't be providing entertainment for them and suggest that if possible it would be easiest if they didn't bring them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely confirm it if you don't want people bringing children, to me a baby shower is one of those events that most people just assume it's ok to bring kids to. You may just need to be blunt and state it, there will be people who won't be able to come or won't want to come because their noses are out of joint about it. I'd most likely try and leave my kids at home anyway if my partner wasn't at work, if he was I wouldn't be able to go.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PipersMummy For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (27-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    It's your baby shower so you have every right to set a no kids rule. But given you are inviting other women with kids and didn't put no kids on the invite, I would expect several not to be able to make it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This happened to me and caused a ton of drama! Not having kids of my own, I just didn't even think that other mums would assume they could bring their kids. One of my workmates happened to mention how my shower would be a good 'lesson' for me, as her daughter would be 'into every corner, every ornament, every power point" I was horrified! Nowadays of course it wouldn't bother me as I'm so used to little ones, but I remember feeling exactly the same way as you. The only thing I could do in the end was change the location, to somewhere people could bring kids if they want. Seeing as you've organised catering this probably won't be an option for you...so as others have said, given that it wasn't stated on the invite, you may have to be prepared that some mums won't be able to make it. I'm another one who wouldn't want to take my daughter if it were me, but if my partner was working I just wouldn't be able to go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I wouldn't be able to go either. DH can work long, weird hours and I really don't have any family options for babysitting through the day.

My first thought TBH was that the OP was a first time mum who will be the one in a few years wanting to bring her kids to events (that's not in any way meant to be nasty OP, I think most of us are like this pre-kids, so just an observation not an insult).

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (27-02-2017),BornToBe  (27-02-2017),mckel  (27-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If anyone has a small or breastfed baby I would make the exception.

Myself if I were invited I would not assume I could take my kids nor would I want to! I would want some time out! When I had babies under 18 months though I would assume it was ok to bring them along.

I have a high respect level though and I would never allow my baby to upset the party in any way.
    I know not everyone is considerate though.

It's your day so just be clear and if people can't come they will have to catch up later or if they take offence they aren't very understanding friends imo.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (27-02-2017),th300  (27-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I went to a baby shower a few years ago which said something along the lines of "for the enjoyment of the mum-to-be, we politely request that children do not attend". I was childless at the time but certainly don't think that's offensive and wouldn't be offended to read that on an invitation now that I do have a child. But if you think people would be offended you could put a message on the FB event stating "due to limited space, we ask that only adults attend" - it is to the point and hopefully won't annoy people.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (27-02-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (27-02-2017)