+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Working vs Not Working - Working mum also studying... stressed and sick!

Hi all, I really need some advice for those experienced mummies out there.
    I am a first time mum due in September, I currently work close to full time and also go to uni to finish my bachelor.

Work have given me a very long probation period of 6 months, followed by absolutley no flexibility for leaves (it is difficult to ask for time off for appointments). I did try asking for 3 days per week instead of 4 and they refused as it doesn't suit their requirements.

It has gotten to a point where I need to either leave uni knowing that I will likely not return (will have to focus on working, and baby, saving for house) or stay at uni leaving work.
    My course will finish end of the year with abit of luck.

The other issues is that I am not entitled to any maternity leave due not reaching the hours required/time required.
    Obviously, we need the money and I have to work - but I could go back to being a student and still get some entitlements.
    I'm just finding all this stress is making me very sick, and I just can't do both.

Anyone else been in a similiar situation?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Is your current job going to be of benefit once you finish your bachelor, or will you then look for work elsewhere?

Can you afford to be out of work? If you can put saving for a house deposit on hold for 12 months, I would seriously consider choosing studies over work.

Another thing I would consider, given your workplace is already inflexible with appointment etc., is how they will respond to you possibly needing to take sick leave and the likes once bub is here. It would suck to defer studies and then find the job isn't suited in the future anyway.

BH-KatiesMum is online now Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    if you can afford it I would probably choose the Uni over the work.

Uni - will set you up for better/higher paid work once completed and bubs arrives
    - is much for flexible for newbord/sick/appointments etc

work doesnt sound helpful, you wont get maternity leave anyway and if they arent flexible now, its likely they wont be flexible once bubs arrives so you will need to look for something else sooner rather than later anyway.

it doesnt sound like they are helping you much

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (27-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I would def put off the house for 12 months, and finish your degree. You should be on better pay long term than if you never return so 12 months in the scheme of decades is nothing. They also don't sound like a happy or viable workplace for a mother. I see you in a year or 2 hating your workplace bc they are so inflexible and being trapped bc you now have a mortgage and have thrown in uni.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all. I think I'll stay until my uni is confirmed with what Aus study I can get.
    The job is within my industry but lacks any freedom or advancement in the long term.
    Thanks agian for your support!!