+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Work Test for PPL and the 8 Weeks Gap Mystery!

Hello Ladies!

I need help.... or your opinion.... or advice... anything.

I am currently working in the childcare industry, and it is a tough industry to be in when you're pregnant, it's very physical and I spend a good 70% of my work outdoors in the heat of the summer. I am currently 6 1/2 months pregnant and work is getting too tough to deal with and I have planned to stop working by early March, and I am due at the end of May.

I was applying for Parental Paid Leave via the Centrelink website, until I realise that I won't be eligible for Parental Paid Leave if I take a leave more than 8 weeks.

Early March is waaaaaaaay more than 8 weeks before my due date (it's about 3 months), so does that mean I would need to be working for an extra month to be eligible for Parental Paid Leave??

Can I apply for some sort of special consideration? If I was working in an office where I sit down 90% of the time, I really don't mind working. But at work I have to walk up and down the stairs, deal with different outdoor weather, heavy lifting, making children's beds, cleaning up, bending down, etc.

What should I do?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I looked into this recently - it is 8 weeks unpaid leave in a row... So I have used 4 weeks annual leave and will then start maternity leave 4 weeks before my due date... Is that an option for you?

If not I do believe you can apply for special circumstances... I have a friend who was on bed rest for 10 weeks before her bubs was born and Centrelink still paid PPL as he doctor wrote a certificate... Maybe have a chat with your doctor if they would be prepared to do that?

Last suggestion is maybe have a chat with your workplace about going part time for 4-6 weeks before maternity leave??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Have you talked to your employer? As you should be able to request different duties if you are unable to do your current ones.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Work Test for PPL and the 8 Weeks Gap Mystery!

Hi @pixie0228! I've just finished sorting out my PPL, so hopefully this helps.

My understanding of the work test is that you need to have worked at least 10 months in the 13 months before you have your baby, and *within those* 10 months you need to have not had more than 8 weeks off unpaid.

So you may still meet the requirements if you count your 10 month period from the very beginning of the 13 months prior to having your baby, as opposed to counting backwards from your due date?

I hope this makes sense

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could also consider doing just one or two days to break up the "8 week gap". As long as you work for one hour in one day, that is considered a work day. There are definitely options to work in with the requirements.