+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How do u initiate a separation?

Been married 14 years. Been toxic for years. Kids are 10 and 13. We both work full time, have a mortgage and family live overseas.

I want to move out with the kids. What are the first steps?? Do I ring bank? Find a place? I have no idea where to start....

Thank u

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Depending on how well you think it will go you should start getting copies of documents now and details of what's in bank accounts etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd recommend going to see a good family lawyer and getting some professional advice.

Then I'd go and see Centrelink to determine what you might be entitled to support-wise.

Before you look into housing I think it's really important to find out where you will stand financially first, and these appointments will allow you to do that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would look for a place first and have things set up and go from there try and make it amicable for the sake of the kids and discuss how this will work regarding time with them. I know you said it was toxic but I was in a dv relationship for 7 years and my kids still get time with their dad... It's frustrating but I have to be positive about it for their sake... If it can not be doing amicably then you will need to involve a lawyer you can file for divorce after being separated for 12 months. Keep records of things that matter like bank accounts house etc any assets and debts In your name his name joint etc