+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Advice needed - social media

I have 2 cousins that have asked for no photos of their kids. I think it's fair and reasonable because it should be their right as parents. They sent out an email which asked all family not to post photos without permission and everyone has respected that. I previously had a secret group on Facebook with only my immediate family and I would post most pictures to that along with any (private) exciting news. I deactivated my Facebook about a month ago for a social media break and the only thing I really miss is having that secret group.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Zeddie For This Useful Post:

MrsMummaButterfly  (26-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsMummaButterfly View Post
    I couldn't agree more! Maybe its this 'younger' generation that have no control in what they post and the respect in asking people before hand. Gosh i sound like such a scrooge!
    I think you sound like a sensible person
    The world is a strange place now days. I often feel like I'm so old lol I'm only 37.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I have found that most people ask before taking a photo of my kids and I just reply with "sure but please don't post it on social media". If they just take photos without asking I will say "please don't post that online, we prefer to keep our kids off social media ". It's worked so far.

I use WhatsApp to send pictures to family and friends. We have groups so we can share pictures amongst ourselves.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think it's unrealistic, I must admit I sometimes get a bit eyerolly with people running around saying "no social media!" about pics, but it's their right if they don't want them on there. <shrug>. I think there's a big difference between not wanting pics of your kids half naked or say, in their school uniform, than just a blanket 'no photos' rule at a party or something.

I find it's usually people who don't really use social media, or don't know how to use it properly, that are the most worried about it. I don't think it has anything to do with the 'younger generation' having no control or respect. Often they are better at technology and know how to lock their account down privately. It's often the older generation you have to worry about! They're often the ones who have no respect for social media etiquette. (E.g. My FIL who posted a photo of our baby on FB before we'd even announced her birth - and I hadn't even put anything on FB about being pregnant. He also shares every single Instagram photo of our daughter to his FB wall. I don't have a problem with the photos being there, only that he never bothers to make any effort to see his grandchild, or even ask about her, yet shares every photo like he's grandparent of the year. It should speak volumes to him that he has no photos of his own to share!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HillDweller View Post
    I don't think it's unrealistic, I must admit I sometimes get a bit eyerolly with people running around saying "no social media!" about pics, but it's their right if they don't want them on there. <shrug>. I think there's a big difference between not wanting pics of your kids half naked or say, in their school uniform, than just a blanket 'no photos' rule at a party or something.

I find it's usually people who don't really use social media, or don't know how to use it properly, that are the most worried about it.
    I disagree with this completely. Once a photo is on social media it is there forever. I find that it is really tech savvy people who say no photos on the net, but by the time my kids and their friends hit 8/9 years old they started asking people themselves not to put their photos on social media. They must learn this in cyber safety talks at school, because I wasn't talking to my kids about social media in depth enough at that age for them to start asking that.

OP....you have every right to say no photo of your baby/child on social media.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (26-02-2017),TheGooch  (26-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    I disagree with this completely. Once a photo is on social media it is there forever. I find that it is really tech savvy people who say no photos on the net, but by the time my kids and their friends hit 8/9 years old they started asking people themselves not to put their photos on social media. They must learn this in cyber safety talks at school, because I wasn't talking to my kids about social media in depth enough at that age for them to start asking that.

OP....you have every right to say no photo of your baby/child on social media.

That just hasn't been my experience at all. The really tech savvy people I know, who know how to use privacy settings properly, are not paranoid about social media.

I guess I really just don't understand, even if a picture is "out there forever" why that's such a big deal. If it's a normal, every day photo of your kid - the same as they're seen in real life in the street. Do I agree with people sharing pics of their glammed up 3 year old? Nope. Or using their kid as some sort of model to try and get free stuff on Instagram (something that seems to have become pretty popular)? Nope, I can't stand that. But a kid climbing a tree? Sitting on the couch? Shared with your friends and family? Or even friends of a friend?.

But, as I said, people can decide whatever they want for their own kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have said no photos on social media (I didn't even announce my pregnancy on there nor announce the birth- the people that need to know, do!) , explaining our reasons, and so far friends and family have respected that. We use the Lifecake app to share photos (invite only), there is also another popular one called TinyBeans.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That just hasn't been my experience at all. The really tech savvy people I know, who know how to use privacy settings properly, are not paranoid about social media.

I guess I really just don't understand, even if a picture is "out there forever" why that's such a big deal. If it's a normal, every day photo of your kid - the same as they're seen in real life in the street. Do I agree with people sharing pics of their glammed up 3 year old? Nope. Or using their kid as some sort of model to try and get free stuff on Instagram (something that seems to have become pretty popular)? Nope, I can't stand that. But a kid climbing a tree? Sitting on the couch? Shared with your friends and family? Or even friends of a friend?.

But, as I said, people can decide whatever they want for their own kids.
    For us it comes down to autonomy. My kids might not want their childhood photos on the net for all to see, and you can't just delete it...it's still out there somewhere. Plus, privacy settings are pretty moot. They can be worked around easy enough. All someone has to do is download a photo you post and it's then they can do whatever they want with it. I know a woman who has had a photo of her kids be used in memes and online articles...all without her permission. The photo is several years old now, but it still pops up randomly. The people using the photo wouldn't even know where it has come from. That weirds me out big time.
    Last edited by Full House; 26-02-2017 at 16:33.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (26-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @fullhouse I understand that sort of stuff happens, which is why I don't agree with kids having social media themselves. Personally, I think social media should be for adults, not children, not young teens.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @fullhouse I understand that sort of stuff happens, which is why I don't agree with kids having social media themselves. Personally, I think social media should be for adults, not children, not young teens.
    I agree with that. I edited my post so your comment won't make sense to anyone, so sorry about that...but as far as in general goes, I figure most people wouldn't show a photo of their kids at a party to 200+ people if it was printed out, so I don't really understand why there is a need to do that on social media where so many more things could happen.
    Last edited by Full House; 26-02-2017 at 16:53.