ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @Little Miss Sunshine i dont have an issue with group photos with my child being shared, its more individual photos being shared and with DH and I not being on facebook, i wonder what the purpose of posting them would be.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsMummaButterfly For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (26-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    It is absolutely your right to expect your family not to post pics of your children on social media. I would just bring it up in a gentle conversation - 'we have decided we don't want our kids photos on facebook/etc at all, and we ask that you respect our decision by not posting photos of our kids online'. I'm ok with my kids photos on social media, but I know plenty of people who are not ok with it,& it's a perfectly valid choice. It's good to be aware that occassionaly a photo may slip through- eg, family friend takes a photo of a group of children singing happy birthday to their child, & your kid is one of the partygoers - TBH, it happens from time to time. But specific or individual photos od your kids can be avoided easily.

As for sharing photos with family members - a group messaging app such as viber, whatsapp or telegram is a great way to do this - you just need to ask family to download the app and start a family group to message to.
    Thanks for your reply and suggestion on how to approach this and the wording to use. I honestly though my post would receive alot of flack and become quite heated so im greatful that it hasnt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    We also have whatsapp for just about every family/friend/school group so it's a great easy way to share photos, I don't have face book but my mum and sisters/SIL do and I don't mind at all that they post photos of DS, for mum she loves to show her own brothers and sisters his photos etc
    That sounds like a great idea! Thank you for the suggestion, i will have a look into that app.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdgirl View Post
    Check out photo sharing apps, I found this really nice one once but I can't remember the name.

It's totally not a big ask that your family keeps your kids photos off of social media.
    Imo anyone should ask before they share photos of yourself or your family on any social media.
    You don't know all of their friends assuming they are even private.

I don't look at it from a security concern so much as just a right to privacy. In times past grandparents might have had a brag book to show anyone they caught up with and now there's always the photos on your phone you show to people. It's not the same as putting a photo where a possible large group of people have access to forever. I just find it rude.
    Don't let anyone make you feel you're being over the top about it.
    Thank you so much, i guess with parenting its hard to just put your foot down with certain things as we've never done this before and with the majority of our families being social media addicts i guess i worry too much about someone have a hissy and thinking im being over the top. At the end of the day, we are the voice for our children until they can be arent we.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsMummaButterfly For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl  (26-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin1106 View Post
    We have a no social media rule for our two sons. Family and friends know now without even asking what our stance on it is. I have had to ask a friend remove a picture of my DS from Facebook which she did immediately, it was just an oversight on her part. DH's sister posted pictures of DS1's birthday party on Facebook which caused a bit of an argument when we asked her to remove them because apparently in her mind if we don't photos on Facebook we should tell people not to take photos at all! Anyway she deleted us both from Facebook as friends and no longer speaks to me because of this issue so I won't be inviting her to any future parties! Problem solved! She is the exception to the rule though and I find most people are happy to oblige with our wishes.
    Haha there is always one isn't there! I dont understand why people take things like that so personally. Its not problem taking photos, but when they get used to glorify yourself is when i have issues with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie46 View Post
    Great post. Not unrealistic in the slightest! I didn't have social media when DD was born, and felt very strongly about family / friends not sharing photos of DD (or myself!). My family were aware of this. I didn't make an announcement as such, but as pics were taken (I too come from a family who lives through their online 'personas') I would calmly say, "None on Facebook please."

We found out through friends that my now ex MIL had posted a pic on Facebook of DD & I in the hospital, right after giving birth!!!! Pretty much the most private, sacred moment of my life! XH got her to remove it immediately.

Nowadays I do have social media but I'm always slightly conflicted over it! I enjoy having that connection to those in my life I wouldn't normally communicate with from day to day, but I think I'd prefer not to have it. I can't stand seeing the convoluted cr*p my family post - no one ever lives in the moment anymore, only through their Facebook posts.

Anyway, I digress! Before social media sharing I would just group text or email photos, which I was ok with. Just because most don't think about the implications of social media sharing doesn't mean they are not there, and doesn't remove your right to protect your privacy. I still have to remind my sister when I send her photos that they are private, no posting please!
    Wow! I would have been majorly peeved at that!
    And i agree re social media, so many people we know live completely different lives through there and what you are seeing is so fake these days. I don't want my children used as a tool to project an image about that person that is fake! If you enjoy spending time with my children that is awesome but dont live through your camera or stage a scene to make people think you are awesome!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsMummaButterfly For This Useful Post:

frankie46  (26-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Myztiks#1Fan View Post
    I never post photos of other peoples kids unless i have permission from their parent/s. The only time i usually is for birthday parties for example. I also dont like other people putting up photos of my son because i dont know their friends IRL(other people being my sister for example as she has so many fb friends)
    I couldn't agree more! Maybe its this 'younger' generation that have no control in what they post and the respect in asking people before hand. Gosh i sound like such a scrooge!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    I think your reasoning is totally valid and if people don't like then that's is their issues as your kids are not theirs to share it doesn't matter the occasion

I don't have fb (used to & I didn't put up pics) but dp does and he doesn't even put up any pictures of either boys, my sister doesn't share any pics of her dd but our mum does put the occasional pic up but we both know. I've also changed her settings as to who can see the ones she does put up etc. I have Instagram and I put the odd one there but the people that follow me are people I see all the time no randoms at all.
    Thank you so much. Your family sounds like they know whats what which is awesome! Did you take a firm stance from the start with them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MyDino View Post
    It is definitely your right, when DS was born we told all our family & friends that no photos of him where to be posted online. We have only ever had to ask for 1 photo to be taken down. We use an app called tweekaboo to share photos with family & friends. We have posted a few pics of him online but they are ones we have put we control which pics & how many.
    Thanks for the suggestion on the app, it sounds much easier, so i can just pop photos up and if people want to view them they aren't bombarded with messages or emails. Do you have to invite people to use the app and is it private?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Advice needed - social media

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMummaButterfly View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion on the app, it sounds much easier, so i can just pop photos up and if people want to view them they aren't bombarded with messages or emails. Do you have to invite people to use the app and is it private?
    Yes you just send an email to the people you want to see the pics, once they except it they will see your pics, they can also comment ect but you have the control of who sees what. I have a family & a friend group so some pics only get seen by family ect. Tweekaboo: Share, Journal & Print your pregnancy, baby & family moments - privately. by Instidia Ltd
    https://appsto.re/au/NEerA.i