ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    My house is reasonably tidy but often dirty. We've done heaps of decluttering so even when it's "untidy" it isn't too bad and will take 5-10 mins max to get the lounge and kitchen in order. But dh and I both hate cleaning so the floors often need a vacuum or mop (having two cats and dh works as a gardener the carpet gets dirty very quickly), bathrooms and toilets often dirty too but I do a quick clean of the toilet and basin before Nan or someone else comes over. Bins are often messy or overflowing (I like to leave them to dh). We often forget to change the bedsheet. I'd like to keep the place cleaner but it's not something dh thinks is important and I can't do it all as I work. I wish we could afford a cleaner. We have two dishdrawer dishwasher so the kitchen is usually pretty good - we can run one while putting dirty dishes in the other so don't have to unstack straight away.

Eta. Fortunately you can't see most of the dirt/dust as the house is mostly dark cream coloured. 😀

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    At the moment, I'm generally uncomfortable with the state of my house. I can't do much at the moment and DH doesn't see the mess. Like PPs, mess and dirt in my house trigger my anxiety. And if I start to feel anxious (or mad), I'll start cleaning/tidying.
    Each morning I will usually tidy the kitchen and dining table, do the dishes that can't go in the dishwasher (I can't do them in the evening because it wakes DS), tidy and put away everything unless DS is actively playing with it, clean mirrors and sinks, and vacuum with the dyson battery powered stick vac. I am constantly tidying through the day, because DS likes to pull stuff out, and DH seems incapable of putting things not on the tables or bench tops. I have one of those mops you fill with floor cleaner and water and spray the floor with, so spot mopping happens frequently. I tend to do the toilet every second day. Dusting, showers and bath, proper vacuum and whole floor mopping used to happen once a week, but I haven't been able to do it for ages, and I have to wait for DH to do it. The towels are done once a week. I'd like the sheets to be done more frequently, but I can't get the clean sheets back on by myself without hurting my back, so once every 2 or 3 weeks.
    Windows.... get done when they get done. I was banned from cleaning the oven because DH didn't think I was careful enough. It gets done after I nag him enough.
    So I guess it is generally tidy and clean, but definitely not spotless.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I see every speck of mess / dirt but most would say my house is pretty clean and tidy. Clean is more important to me than tidy. Absolutely will not have a dirty house - mess I can handle, I have two cats, a four year old and a busy musician partner with tons of gear / equipment / gadgets who's always in & out, working on one project or another. Mess happens. Dirt cannot!

I do dishes daily (no dishwasher), wipe down kitchen / bathroom counters and tables, clean spills as necessary. Constantly tidying and putting things back in their place. Washing done 2-3 times a week, folded and put away once it's dry. Clean toilet probably twice a week. Sheets washed / changed weekly, towels washed as soon as the towel hamper is full. Deep clean bathroom monthly. DP does the bigger jobs like the windows, lawns & outdoor areas. I vacuum as necessary - can be daily, can be 2-3 times a week. I actually LOVE vacuuming

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I would say my house is reasonably clean & tidy, but not spotless.

I find our place fairly low maintenance because it's relatively small. Also we don't wear shoes inside, we only have one child and have no pets. Small things like this mean it doesn't get dirty quickly.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

JJZK  (25-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's tidy-ish when DF is away, not really clean. Toddler, cat and dog make a mess, I hate cleaning so leave it for the cleaner who come once a fortnight. When DF is home it looks like or should be in a magazine as he is a neat / clean freak.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie46 View Post
    I see every speck of mess / dirt but most would say my house is pretty clean and tidy. Clean is more important to me than tidy. Absolutely will not have a dirty house - mess I can handle, I have two cats, a four year old and a busy musician partner with tons of gear / equipment / gadgets who's always in & out, working on one project or another. Mess happens. Dirt cannot!

I do dishes daily (no dishwasher), wipe down kitchen / bathroom counters and tables, clean spills as necessary. Constantly tidying and putting things back in their place. Washing done 2-3 times a week, folded and put away once it's dry. Clean toilet probably twice a week. Sheets washed / changed weekly, towels washed as soon as the towel hamper is full. Deep clean bathroom monthly. DP does the bigger jobs like the windows, lawns & outdoor areas. I vacuum as necessary - can be daily, can be 2-3 times a week. I actually LOVE vacuuming
    I was like you when I had two kids. I've always been a stay at home mum. My house was always spotless every night before I went to bed. Both kids were in kindy and school.
    Then I got pregnant with my third and was sick and tired and things went to poo.

My kids won't clean up after themselves nor does my husband really so it's me and 5 other people's mess.
    Mum still helps me with the washing about 3 times a week. Other than that I do everything but the outside jobs myself.
    Once I loved cleaning. Not so much now!
    It is cathartic though. If I'm mad I start to clean things lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh for those who get anxiety from mess or dirtiness, why do you think that is??
    My mother used to be like this. She says my father made her like it because he was super clean and neat to the extreme. I think she's always been like it though because she tells me stories of when she used to help out as a kid.
    After years of hanging out with me and ending up with cfs she is much less stressed about it now but she still has it in her.

Does this happen to one in childhood or are people born like it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdgirl View Post
    My mother used to be like this. She says my father made her like it because he was super clean and neat to the extreme. I think she's always been like it though because she tells me stories of when she used to help out as a kid.
    After years of hanging out with me and ending up with cfs she is much less stressed about it now but she still has it in her.

My mum has always been a neat freak. So I am used to clean and tidy, low clutter. But, I think it is actually because it is something I can control. Because if the house is a mess and then something else happens, the anxiety spiral happens pretty quickly. A messy space doesn't help with a messy head. It's just all too busy and cluttered. I also find it a really good way to burn off the anxious energy and feel like I am achieving something. I am not a gym person - I feel like the gym is a waste of time, so that isn't a good way for me to burn off that energy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    For me it's about control. If I feel like I don't have control of a situation it triggers anxiety. Mess, unpredictability (bc I have no control), the unknown. I believe some of it is genetic - my mother totally has undiagnosed anxiety. And part is environmental - I grew up in a very unpredictable, constantly changing house where I had no control over the bad things.

So I'm a rampant list person, I need order, control, predictability. Mess goes against those needs.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl  (25-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdgirl View Post

For me it started when I got divorced in my 20s. I was in an extremely stressful situation. Cleaning the house and keeping it super tidy became almost like an obsession then as so much in my life was out of control and that was something I could control completely. It gave some order to my life. It also kept me busy and was a distraction.
    I am less obsessive about it now but still if my life gets very stressful I get a bit crazy with cleaning. When DH is away for work for extended periods I also go crazy with the cleaning. It's my way of dealing with stress. A clean, tidy, ordered house calms me.