+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    Ok sorry I didn't realise that - we had a boorie cot that changed to a toddler bed and the sides were included as they screwed into the bed end and head
    We have a boorie as well

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As well, from reading all your posts I think I'm starting to understand what you're dealing with here.
    As I said I have a child like this. Two actually. One is now 14 and one is 5.5.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but there is never enough attention for this child - good or bad attention?
    Do you feel damned if you do and damned if you don't?
    Is cheeky a word you would use to describe him??

I said in one of your other posts that possibly occupational therapy could help.
    I do feel putting all the pieces of your posts together that there is more to your son than just normal toddler behaviour.
    It could be he is picking up on your anxieties and it's making him anxious or he could be having some trouble regulating his emotions.

An occupational therapist will help you to understand how he's feeling and give tools for you to help him and yourself. A GP may not be willing to listen to your concerns seeing as he's at such an age right now so maybe you will have to go privately and out of pocket.
    I didn't pick up on this with my daughter and she's now on meds for anxiety and depression and my 5 yr old son I am still struggling with in many areas. I'm waiting a little longer to see if I need to take him to a doctor. We have had a fair bit of stress over the last 3 years in our family.
    If you can get onto this while he's young it will be so much better for you all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Double post. Site freaked out
    Last edited by Bluebirdgirl; 24-02-2017 at 22:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allatsea View Post
    Bluebird he is never left if he's crying. If he's happy then yes he is left because sitting or lying with him just makes it worse - he starts attention seeking & acting completely ridiculous & getting more & more hyped up instead of going to sleep.

If he's crying we comfort him of course, he's never left to cry himself to sleep or anything like that
    Our son is the same. He goes to "bed" at the same time as big sis but plays quietly in his room (mostly looking through books or wrapping soft toy 'babies' in blankets) for an hour or 2 before finally putting himself to bed.

Staying with him just prolongs the whole process as he doesn't calm down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdgirl View Post
    Have you ever tried any natural sleep medicines for him?
    I have a kid like that. It's super frustrating.
    He's 5 years old and we still have trouble getting him to bed at night quite often.
    For my daughter your sons age though the corams sleep/calm medicine you can get from the chemist helps relax her.

Sorry he does remind me so much of my kids who all have sensory issues and anxiety issues :/
    Funny, I've been half thinking of asking on here about things to help my 3.5yo to sleep. He generally sleeps 9.30-10ish til 6.30-7, which just seems like so little for his age. He's generally a pretty chirpy bird nowadays though (we're coming out the other side of 2yrs of "terrible 2s") so it seems to not be s big issue.

He's also quite sensory seeking, but it doesn't appear extreme enough to fall into being classed as disordered. Thankfully no anxiety, or signs of so far. But I do think the sensory thing is at play as he's almost making himself a weighted blanket the way he puts his books on the bed, usually with a big pile right on his legs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    Funny, I've been half thinking of asking on here about things to help my 3.5yo to sleep. He generally sleeps 9.30-10ish til 6.30-7, which just seems like so little for his age. He's generally a pretty chirpy bird nowadays though (we're coming out the other side of 2yrs of "terrible 2s") so it seems to not be s big issue.

He's also quite sensory seeking, but it doesn't appear extreme enough to fall into being classed as disordered. Thankfully no anxiety, or signs of so far. But I do think the sensory thing is at play as he's almost making himself a weighted blanket the way he puts his books on the bed, usually with a big pile right on his legs.
    Both my sons like making what I call nests lol
    Piling up pillows and blankets. My elder son has grown out of it now he's 8 but the 5 yr old still does it.
    Maybe he would like a weighted blanket? Or are the books some of his favourite things?
    My 8 yr old doesn't sleep much either. He sleeps well but usually only 8 hours sometimes less. He has tons of energy and is hardly ever tired. He is asd, he's never slept a lot. My other asd son hardly slept as a baby but has slept much longer from about 2 on.
    I guess it's just how some people work.
    My 8 yr old was never ever anxious as a small child. Even now he isn't really what I would call anxious but as he's getting older situations cause him to spiral into an anxious state really fast. But he's not a type to act out unless he's provoked, so he's not an anxious person iykwim.

How is your sons speech and fine and gross motor @Stretched ? Those things are much clearer indicators of sensory and other disorders.
    By 2 I knew my asd son was at least delayed. For a year or so I thought he was just a little behind and just had a really placid and quirky nature. I'm a bit quirky myself so I didn't pick asd to start with him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both my sons like making what I call nests lol
    Piling up pillows and blankets. My elder son has grown out of it now he's 8 but the 5 yr old still does it.
    Maybe he would like a weighted blanket? Or are the books some of his favourite things?
    My 8 yr old doesn't sleep much either. He sleeps well but usually only 8 hours sometimes less. He has tons of energy and is hardly ever tired. He is asd, he's never slept a lot. My other asd son hardly slept as a baby but has slept much longer from about 2 on.
    I guess it's just how some people work.
    My 8 yr old was never ever anxious as a small child. Even now he isn't really what I would call anxious but as he's getting older situations cause him to spiral into an anxious state really fast. But he's not a type to act out unless he's provoked, so he's not an anxious person iykwim.

How is your sons speech and fine and gross motor @Stretched ? Those things are much clearer indicators of sensory and other disorders.
    By 2 I knew my asd son was at least delayed. For a year or so I thought he was just a little behind and just had a really placid and quirky nature. I'm a bit quirky myself so I didn't pick asd to start with him.
    I've been contemplating making him a weighted blanket, maybe just a lap blanket type one since he usually just puts the books on from the waist down. My nephew is "off the spectrum" eg. ticks lots of boxes, plus gifted in some areas, but not ASD (had lots of testing due to his quirks).

DS is much more social than him. Gross motor is advanced, fine motor spot on (drawing people with heads, bodies, limbs, eyes, mouths. Can use scissors with control. Etc) though he's still quite ambidextrous. We had speech therapy due to fronting sounds but his language development is spot on. He's looking like he's academically "bright" like his big sister as he loves numbers, knows the purpose of letters, 'reads' books to himself. He's been playing socially since he turned 3, and now does lots of pretend play and has even started lying (yay, I know! But developmentally I know this is significant).

On the whole we have no concerns. His terrible 2s have just been veeeery trying and he has some quite quirky little behaviours. I've always been quirky so I shouldn't really be surprised! I just worry that 9 hours is not nearly enough sleep!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well that's awesome @Stretched
    Maybe he just has some sensory issues and he could grow out of them.
    I had a lot as a kid. Tags on clothes, hated shoes, liked to cuddle things to go to sleep etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well that's awesome @Stretched
    Maybe he just has some sensory issues and he could grow out of them.
    I had a lot as a kid. Tags on clothes, hated shoes, liked to cuddle things to go to sleep etc.
    Yeah I did some reading on SPD due to DS's sensory seeking behaviour (especially head butting things) and thought "OMG I tick about 20 of these boxes!!!" and realised I've automatically adjusted so it doesn't cause any problems living life.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl  (25-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I was just thinking, not sure if this has already been suggested, but why not leave his big bed set up as is and also setup his cot mattress on the floor and give him the choice to sleep in which bed he wants, if he chooses the big bed he can always go to the mattress on the floor if he changes his mind. I'm sure he will get to a point where he is happy to stay in the big bed permanently but will feel like he has some control of the situation until then.