+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    My 3 year old is still in his cot, he climbs out but because our guest bed is in his room he climbs onto that from his cot (pushed against each other) and then off the guest bed, so I'm not worried about him harming himself and have had no plans to move him as he sleeps so well. But, we are moving into a house where the guest bed will be in another room (so climbing out not as safe) and we are also moving a week before we come to Australia for a visit so we decided to take the sides of his cot tomorrow to get him used to sleeping in a 'big bed' before we head to OZ and also before we move so he doesn't end up in a new room AND a new bed when we return from a huge trip. Fingers crossed it goes well!

If you Google the Montessori Method for sleeping, it is a mattress on the floor. A sleep trainer over here does it even with 8 month old babies, a friend we have did it when she was having trouble with her baby's sleep and it worked. I think just try the mattress on the floor for a while and move it to the frame when he's ready. Do you have bed guards? That may help him feel more 'secure' in the big bed like he's in a cot?
    Yes his big bed has built in bed-rails

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Sleeping in a big bed

If the cot converts to a toddler bed the rails generally come with it but it seems an irrelevant point if the big bed has rails on it anyway. Either persist in putting him back to bed, go back to the cot or just let him sleep on the floor

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got mine from target, Kmart have them but they are designed for big beds I made it work for the mini bed. Put some cushions underneath the mattress so ds can only roll towards the wall in another one

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    If the cot converts to a toddler bed the rails generally come with it but it seems an irrelevant point if the big bed has rails on it anyway. Either persist in putting him back to bed, go back to the cot or just let him sleep on the floor
    Ours didn't come with a rail. But I'm fairly certain a standard bed rail would work surely?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    My daughter was around 16 months when I put her in a toddler bed. She was fine in it but if she wasn't I would have just used the mattress.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been reading your threads and your DS sounds a lot like mine.

He is full on, doesn't need much sleep, strong willed and just does things his way.

DD went into a big bed at 18m. Started with mattress on the floor, then brought in the bed frame after a few weeks. DS went into the big bed at 2yo as he was such a poor, restless sleeper he was obviously going to roll out. It went pretty good at first but at around 2.5-3 he went through a stage of sleeping on the floor. We would usually transfer but sometimes he would start to stir too much so we'd leave him. It was definitely annoying when he would fall asleep behind the door. Especially as he'd have dragged all his bedding onto the floor and made his 'bed' there.

He's now shifted from that to wanting almost all of his books on his bed, including all over himself. So we go in each night and pack up all the books once he's asleep.

So we've come to the conclusion that "comfortable" for DS is very different to our comfortable!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (24-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Am I assuming right that he is put to bed not asleep and the door is shut and he's left to go to sleep??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdgirl View Post
    Am I assuming right that he is put to bed not asleep and the door is shut and he's left to go to sleep??
    Bluebird he is never left if he's crying. If he's happy then yes he is left because sitting or lying with him just makes it worse - he starts attention seeking & acting completely ridiculous & getting more & more hyped up instead of going to sleep.

If he's crying we comfort him of course, he's never left to cry himself to sleep or anything like that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have you ever tried any natural sleep medicines for him?
    I have a kid like that. It's super frustrating.
    He's 5 years old and we still have trouble getting him to bed at night quite often.
    For my daughter your sons age though the corams sleep/calm medicine you can get from the chemist helps relax her.

Sorry he does remind me so much of my kids who all have sensory issues and anxiety issues :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Ours didn't come with a rail. But I'm fairly certain a standard bed rail would work surely?
    Ok sorry I didn't realise that - we had a boorie cot that changed to a toddler bed and the sides were included as they screwed into the bed end and head