+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sleeping in a big bed

After moving to a toddler or big bed, how long did it take before they actually slept IN the bed?

We are over a month in now & I can count on one hand the number of times he's gone to sleep in his bed.

He loves it though so not sure why he won't sleep in it.

We bought him a fold out kids couch bed which he sometimes sleeps on, but mostly he just sleeps on the floor & we have to attempt to move him later (which can be stressful as he has never been one to transfer).

Sometimes he goes to sleep on the floor behind the closed door, meaning we can't open the door without waking him up so we have to leave him there

It makes me sad that he's sleeping on the floor. It can't be comfortable.

Is there something we should be doing, or just leave him to figure it out?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My thoughts were always that if they didn't sleep in their bed within a week then they weren't ready for a bed. I wasn't going to go through months of sleepless night just so my child slept in a bed.
    If the cot has gone...just put the mattress on the floor if he isn't coping while he transitions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had to move him cause he was climbing out

Should we use the single mattress on the floor? We tried the cot mattress but he kept mucking around with it, flipping it over etc

If we use the single mattress, what if he then does decide to go to sleep on his bed - which will just be the wooden base board? We don't have storage for another mattress

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by allatsea View Post
    We had to move him cause he was climbing out

Should we use the single mattress on the floor? We tried the cot mattress but he kept mucking around with it, flipping it over etc

If we use the single mattress, what if he then does decide to go to sleep on his bed - which will just be the wooden base board? We don't have storage for another mattress
    I would just remove the bed frame for now. Let him get used to the mattress on the floor...but if he chose to sleep on the floor I wouldn't stress about it. He won't do it forever, and he's obviously not stressed about it, so you shouldn't either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I kept my oldest in the cot for ages - she was climbing out of the cot for a good year before I moved her to a bed, lol. I know so many people who rushed their child out of the cot early because they were climbing - but I was a bit 'meh' about it - if she climbed out, so be it, I would just pop her back in. I would just listen out for her calling me, and would go in to find her arms clinging on while ahe dangled there, lol. She only fell onto the ground maybe once or twice - it really wasnt far to fall at all. She learned pretty quickly how to climb out efficiently to get both feet on the floor. I am a huge believer in doing whatever promotes the most sleep - so if it were me, I would go back to the cot, and let him climb, or dismantle the bed and just put the mattress on the ground if he sleeps better there. Whatever/ wherever/ however he sleeps, basically!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was concerned about him breaking his arm or something falling from the top of the cot & so was DH (who doesn't have anxiety) so we moved him

Will see if we can dismantle the bed frame & figure out somewhere to store it

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had he same problems with DS1. He wasn't ready to leave his cot so I put the rails back on and left him in it for a few more months. It converted from cot to mini bed. He was 3 before he was really ready to go to the mini bed again.

Question does the cot convert to mini bed if so have you tried with only one of the sides of first and do steps of breaking it down for him ?

I also used to let ds sleep in with me to show him he won't fall out. He also had a bed rail on the side to stop him from going plop on the floor are his words. Still now he is going on 10 and he likes the rail up to protect his toys from falling out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allatsea View Post
    I was concerned about him breaking his arm or something falling from the top of the cot & so was DH (who doesn't have anxiety) so we moved him

Will see if we can dismantle the bed frame & figure out somewhere to store it
    Put some cushions on the ground around the cot or move the bed mattress next to the cot on the floor if you're worried about him falling and hurting himself. It sounds like he's not ready for a bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes the cot converts to a toddler bed. Where do you get bedrails small enough?

That's the main reason we went to a bed as we searched everywhere & could not find a bedrail small enough for the cot & one that worked with the slat base.

We looked in target, Kmart, big w, toys r us/babies r us, two other baby shops plus also went to the one that we bought the cot from originally & no-where had anything that was short enough

We find a pool noodle is not very effective. It's more of a challenge for him to get it out from under the sheet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My 3 year old is still in his cot, he climbs out but because our guest bed is in his room he climbs onto that from his cot (pushed against each other) and then off the guest bed, so I'm not worried about him harming himself and have had no plans to move him as he sleeps so well. But, we are moving into a house where the guest bed will be in another room (so climbing out not as safe) and we are also moving a week before we come to Australia for a visit so we decided to take the sides of his cot tomorrow to get him used to sleeping in a 'big bed' before we head to OZ and also before we move so he doesn't end up in a new room AND a new bed when we return from a huge trip. Fingers crossed it goes well!

If you Google the Montessori Method for sleeping, it is a mattress on the floor. A sleep trainer over here does it even with 8 month old babies, a friend we have did it when she was having trouble with her baby's sleep and it worked. I think just try the mattress on the floor for a while and move it to the frame when he's ready. Do you have bed guards? That may help him feel more 'secure' in the big bed like he's in a cot?