+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Preparing formula

Ok so this is going to sound really dumb but I'm genuinely stumped and can't find the info I want by googling. We've decided to give DS the odd bottle of formula to get him used to it as he'll have to have it at daycare in a few months, my milk goes funky when i freeze it (high lipase apparently) and quite frankly I can't be bothered pumping enough to give him a fresh supply on my 2 work days.
    Do I have to sterilise the bottles? Ive only ever given expressed milk & it's not necessary for breastmilk.
    What's the easiest way to make up the formula? At first we'll just be making up the odd bottle, use water from the kettle?
    Help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Depends on age of bubs if you sterilise. They say do this up to 6 months of age. I stopped around 5 months but ds only gets 1 boob bottle a day and the rest having proper suck off me.
    There at formula dispenser you can buy to measure each amount of formula so I'd get a couple of those depending on how many bottles bubs will use at daycare. Fill the bottle with water only and daycare will do the rest. Make sure you name everything though

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

rosey82  (24-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My paediatrician said the current recommendation is not to sterilise formulae bottles unless your baby has immune system issues.. Eg premature or is a sickly baby. He recommended just washing with hot soapy water and rinsing and draining dry.

I formulae feed from Day 3.. So you can either prepare the bottle at home using cooled boiled water., and then put in the fridge. Made up formulae should be used within 24 hrs that has been in the fridge untouched. Bub will usually require bottle to be heated a bit as quite cold, though my bub loved the cold milk in summer. Alternatively put the volume of cooled and boiled water from the kettle in the bottle and use a dispenser like the previous poster said. I generally had a metal jug with lid in the kitchen.. That I put boiled water in to cool.. Then I just tipped into the bottle as required before adding powder from a dispenser. I repeated daily so water was fresh daily. Hope this helps.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kylie764 For This Useful Post:

rosey82  (24-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies. He just took his first ever bottle of formula - I'm not sure he was too keen but we'll persist and make it part of our routine. DD refused bottles altogether it will be so much easier if we can give DS the occasional bottle!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The night before, i poured the right amount of boiling water into the bottles ready for the next day and put the lids on, leaving them on the kitchen bench. Next day, just put scoops of formula in each bottle as needed. Just gave it at room temp ☺

I sterilised, but like PPs have said, i think recommendation vary depending on who you ask.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

rosey82  (25-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    The night before, i poured the right amount of boiling water into the bottles ready for the next day and put the lids on, leaving them on the kitchen bench. Next day, just put scoops of formula in each bottle as needed. Just gave it at room temp ☺

I would be wary of putting boiling hot water into plastic bottles.. As BPA can leach out of some plastic baby bottles and then you feeding this to your baby. No problem if you cool boiled water and then put into bottle or alternatively use glass feeding bottles.

Don't want to scare you.. But thought you should be aware of the risks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I woukd think most bottles are BPA free? Mine were.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

kylie764  (24-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    With my daughter.. Who is Just over 2 I had bought some that I realised later were not BPA free.. Which I stopped using. So not necessarily all are BPA free. Need to check the label.