+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @delirium grabbed the wrong post love lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    @allatsea, please know that you're not alone. So many of us have been through seriously challenging stages & been completely overwhelmed.

Please know that 2yo's don't listen.

Please don't take your sons behavior personally. He doesn't mean to hurt/frustrate you. He's still learning & developing & there's a long road ahead.

Please do listen to the advice you've been given.

Please do seek out a book about children's development that seems to resonate with you & read, read, read. That will help manage your expectations.

Please remember, 'this too shall pass'. Just be consistent, set boundaries respectfully & it will pay off.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YeahYeahYeah For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl  (01-03-2017),HollyGolightly81  (02-03-2017),SuperGranny  (02-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdgirl View Post
    @delirium grabbed the wrong post love lol
    Oppps sorry.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl  (01-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    One suggestion I have is when telling him a stop behaviour like you were with the pen, instead say something like "are you going to sign in today" or "can you find the pen holder, there it is can you get the pen in there?" I find redirecting (even though I'm gritting my teeth and burning up with frustration or panicking) the best thing. I know you said redirection didn't work with the lunch issue but redirecting with something they are already involved with might be an option more so than redirecting to a new activity.
    And it becomes a skill, it's not always natural to stay calm but I figure I'll try and fake it till I make it and if I do it regularly then it will come naturally eventually. It helps me.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lovejoypeace For This Useful Post:

delirium  (01-03-2017),HollyGolightly81  (02-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi can I make a suggestion record him on your phone or video and do it for a week then play it back and discuss his actions and effect on you. Also Google u tube and find some cartoons to help his behavior.

Hope this helps.

Butterfly

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    So this afternoon i decided to head to the playground for a little play and then a quick stop at the shops to grab some things for dinner. Ds1 wanted to go out, he always does. But, as per usual whenever I try to get us out, he decides this is the moment he's going to go nuts and become impossible to get out the door. Runs around like a madman, hides in the pillows on my bed, rolls around on the floor, throws toys around, etc. it's like trying to get shoes and a coat on an octopus on crack. Finally get out the door and he scoots through about 10 puddles before he finally 'hears' me about not scooting through them because he doesn't have gumboots on and his feet are now wet. I receive a 'sorry mommy' and he avoids the puddles finally and happily points out to me every time he passes one without scooting through, to which he receives praise. Run into a friend and he plays nicely in the playground then we walk to the shops. Still with the friend and they scoot off giggling in a way that signals they possibly might not be sensible enough at this moment in time to stop at the corner and wait, fellow mum runs off to cut them off. A few minutes later we say goodbye to them and head into the shops where I have my arms full, pushing a pram plus trying to stop toddler from scooting, which he refuses. Go to get in the line to pay and realize I am missing toddler. He has scooted off out the door! Get him back in. Do self check out while toddler tries to put paper in money slot. Walk out door. Toddler still at check out trying to put paper through. Toddler finally comes out and decides he's tired and wants to sit on the buggyboard. Hallelujah!! Walk home.

This is a pretty normal occurrence for me. It's frustrating and annoying and some days are worse than this and some days much better. He's busy, he's crazy, he's full on. But he's also hilarious and clever and so caring. It just is what it is, all I can do is try to maintain and instill some sort of knowledge of what is acceptable behavior and just keep working on it. He's only just turned 3, he's still so little and lacks impulse control and foresight. It will come, we just need to be patient.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (02-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    He's busy, he's crazy, he's full on. But he's also hilarious and clever and so caring.
    This sums up both my boys <3 Parenting is a wild ride.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (02-03-2017),TheGooch  (02-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    So this afternoon i decided to head to the playground for a little play and then a quick stop at the shops to grab some things for dinner. Ds1 wanted to go out, he always does. But, as per usual whenever I try to get us out, he decides this is the moment he's going to go nuts and become impossible to get out the door. Runs around like a madman, hides in the pillows on my bed, rolls around on the floor, throws toys around, etc. it's like trying to get shoes and a coat on an octopus on crack. Finally get out the door and he scoots through about 10 puddles before he finally 'hears' me about not scooting through them because he doesn't have gumboots on and his feet are now wet. I receive a 'sorry mommy' and he avoids the puddles finally and happily points out to me every time he passes one without scooting through, to which he receives praise. Run into a friend and he plays nicely in the playground then we walk to the shops. Still with the friend and they scoot off giggling in a way that signals they possibly might not be sensible enough at this moment in time to stop at the corner and wait, fellow mum runs off to cut them off. A few minutes later we say goodbye to them and head into the shops where I have my arms full, pushing a pram plus trying to stop toddler from scooting, which he refuses. Go to get in the line to pay and realize I am missing toddler. He has scooted off out the door! Get him back in. Do self check out while toddler tries to put paper in money slot. Walk out door. Toddler still at check out trying to put paper through. Toddler finally comes out and decides he's tired and wants to sit on the buggyboard. Hallelujah!! Walk home.

This is a pretty normal occurrence for me. It's frustrating and annoying and some days are worse than this and some days much better. He's busy, he's crazy, he's full on. But he's also hilarious and clever and so caring. It just is what it is, all I can do is try to maintain and instill some sort of knowledge of what is acceptable behavior and just keep working on it. He's only just turned 3, he's still so little and lacks impulse control and foresight. It will come, we just need to be patient.
    And this my friends is my almost 3 year old ds!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (02-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    it's like trying to get shoes and a coat on an octopus on crack.
    Thankyou, quote of the year right here.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (02-03-2017),Mamasupial  (02-03-2017),TheGooch  (02-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    In public my kids are absolute angels. You've rarely seen such well behaved kids. They love being out at at the shops or at a friends house. So I can see how if you saw us you would think it's always like that.

However at home it's game on. I have a 5yo and a 3yo. My parents took my daughter to school this week. They got her up at 7. School starts at 9 and they were there just before 10. She played up so badly they couldn't get her dressed or do her hair. And she's 5.

I'm just going to add a pic to describe my 3yo. It's lipstick. Stuff like this happens all the time.IMG_1488411067.138990.jpg

Some days you have to laugh or you'll cry. I agree with the others, lower your expectations. Have fun. They're only little for a very short time. I look back at what I expected of my first daughter and feel bad as she was still so so little.

18. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (02-03-2017),delirium  (02-03-2017),Happymum2  (02-03-2017),HollyGolightly81  (02-03-2017),JustJaq  (02-03-2017),kiwimum890  (02-03-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (02-03-2017),misho  (02-03-2017),Mod-Degrassi  (02-03-2017),Mum-I-Am  (02-03-2017),Purple Poppy  (02-03-2017),smallpotatoes  (02-03-2017),SSecret Squirrel  (02-03-2017),SuperGranny  (02-03-2017),TaylorMade  (02-03-2017),TheGooch  (02-03-2017),yadot  (02-03-2017)