+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    - adjust expectations if he's just not having a good day eg sick, tired, emotional for whatever reason. Everyone has bad days and crap moods, toddlers are no exception. You can't get too angry when they haven't had enough sleep or are getting over a bug.
    Agree. DS2 is 23 months and is cutting his last molar. He's been pretty hellish lol but I accept that's why he won't eat his dinner bc his mouth is sore. That's he's uber clingy and screechy bc of the pain. I go through one about every 4 weeks but who cares?

And tip for teeth - since about 12 months old I've given mine a baby toothbrush to use in the bath. He brushes his teeth while playing and since he adores bath time, teeth brushing has positive associations for him.
    Last edited by delirium; 24-02-2017 at 18:31.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl  (24-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Agree with singing songs to get things done. I've had to do this with a couple of my kids.
    I've had 6 so I've learned a lot over the years, but I do remember when it was just my son, my first.
    I can empathise with having your first because you really don't know what to expect and want to get it right.
    Also empathise with anxiety as I have a lot of family members with it. My mother and 3 of my children. Also my husband struggles with his expectations on the kids.

I still have to wrestle my 2.5 yr old daughter with a lot of nappy changes.
    We started off with cleaning teeth in the bath and now she has a character tooth brush and loves to get her teeth cleaned, not in the bath any more. So the bath is a good starting point.
    For toys she loves music so we have a lot of musical light up toys.
    She's learned a lot from these types of toys.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdgirl View Post
    Agree with singing songs to get things done. I've had to do this with a couple of my kids.
    I've had 6 so I've learned a lot over the years, but I do remember when it was just my son, my first.
    I can empathise with having your first because you really don't know what to expect and want to get it right.
    Also empathise with anxiety as I have a lot of family members with it. My mother and 3 of my children. Also my husband struggles with his expectations on the kids.

I still have to wrestle my 2.5 yr old daughter with a lot of nappy changes.
    We started off with cleaning teeth in the bath and now she has a character tooth brush and loves to get her teeth cleaned, not in the bath any more. So the bath is a good starting point.
    For toys she loves music so we have a lot of musical light up toys.
    She's learned a lot from these types of toys.
    Singing is awesome. Also getting them to do yours/do it with you (teeth brushing and not nappy!)

Pull up style nappies were also the best at that age.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl  (24-02-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (24-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We are full time in the pull up nappies now. For those times you're chasing after them to get pants back on lol which is at least 4 times a week

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (24-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by allatsea View Post
    Even picking my battles, the power struggles are just huge. My non negotiables are sunscreen, teeth brushing & nappy changes.

Usually to accomplish those things it involves me restraining him because nothing else works & it's really draining & frustrating.
    I'm just wondering, do you actually want advice and help or do you just need to vent? It will just help if we know what you're seeking as people will just get frustrated as you shoot down every bit of advice.

It's the age, and it's normal. I know you don't want to hear that but it's true. The more you fight with him the more defiant he will be so you really just need to not sweat the small stuff.

I get it, it's hard. I'm fairly certain you know that I battle depression and anxiety as well. A couple weeks ago my just turned 3 year old pretty much had me in tears, i just walked away from him because I genuinely didn't have it in me to argue with him or even try to discipline what he was doing because I was just so over it. I felt like I needed ALL of the parenting books that day. Genuinely taking the advice of not sweating the small stuff, 'catching' him being good (heaps of praise) and letting him help rather than constantly saying no to him or telling him off has helped immensely. He's being too rough with the baby? Hey ds1 can you help me make the bed/dinner/run the bath, etc. Any grownup job that is safe for him to do makes him so happy and so much more agreeable!

9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl  (24-02-2017),Californication  (24-02-2017),delirium  (24-02-2017),Full House  (24-02-2017),gingermillie  (24-02-2017),JustJaq  (24-02-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (24-02-2017),Renn  (24-02-2017),rosey82  (24-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by allatsea View Post
    He basically never gets chocolate or lollies except at parties & I want to keep it that way for as long as possible. No other food would be enough motivation.

No tablets as rewards as we don't have one & can't afford to buy one just for that purpose. I'm not risking my phone getting smashed, dropped in the toilet, thrown (which he has been known to do) as I can't afford to replace it. I have a protector case for it but it only protects the back. They don't make otter box for my phone.
    I have YouTube kids on my phone that my toddler gets occasionally. He loves it so much he would never dream of smashing it/throwing it in the toilet/etc. It's a treat that he wants to enjoy, not ruin it for himself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Maybe look at the language you may use too. Things like "it's time to sit down, thank you" instead of "can you sit down please". Or "use gentle hands thank you" instead of "no hitting".

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (24-02-2017),SSecret Squirrel  (24-02-2017),SuperGranny  (28-02-2017),twinklify  (24-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is 2.5 and while I'm preparing dinner she helps me by "doing the dishes". Basically it's water play in the kitchen sink, yes it's messy, I have a towel or two on the floor and a few tea towels around the edge, but it keeps her busy and happy. I mix up what she gets, such as little jugs, funnels, bottles, different spoons, bubbles etc.

I also phrase questions so she feels like she has a choice. Do you want to do xyz or is mummy going to do it? Do you want to sit on this chair or that chair? Do you want the red one or the blue one?

When her behaviour gets out of control I stop, sit down at her level, make her stop and look at me, and explain why she can't do that, she may not always understand what I'm say but she gets the gist I'm serious. Then if she pushes it, i.e. Biting or hitting, I either leave the room or I put her in her room and tell her it's not acceptable and why (it hurts etc). I always give her a warning before it. If you do x then y will happen. Or you have 5 minutes left. And always follow through, if you say it you have to do it, otherwise they learn that you probably won't do it and they ignore you.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rusalka For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (28-02-2017),Wise Enough  (02-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my hands completely full today - two bags in one hand & him in the other & i ended up getting stabbed in the eye with a pen because he refused to listen one of the five times I asked him to please put it down.

By the time I'd managed to put him & the two bags down so that I had a free hand to take it away it was too late

How do you deal with situations like that?

I told him 5 times. He didn't even acknowledge that he'd heard me. He was too busy trying to pull the lid of the pen off, which then came off in a rush & the other end of the pen went into my eye.

It's just frustrating because that didn't need to happen, if he'd listened to what I said.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That's a risk of having a toddler, I'm afraid - avoidable and non-avoidable injuries. You can't rely on them to listen and do what you want - you just can't. They're learning to be their own little people with wills of their own.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

Californication  (01-03-2017),gingermillie  (01-03-2017),HollyGolightly81  (01-03-2017),Renn  (01-03-2017),Wise Enough  (02-03-2017)