+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We're not sure yet.
    It's frustrating, because dh is actually in a trade. He worked his butt off to do a 4 year apprenticeship and the qualified wage isn't significant by any stretch. The current penalty rates are the only thing that makes it worthwhile.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What I don't understand is so many people saying they sacrifice time with their children to work on Sunday's... What is the difference between this or a mother working mon- fri and putting her child in day care??? Most mothers are sacrificing time with their children (unless they are school aged)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Meld85 For This Useful Post:

babybeeno1  (25-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Meld85 View Post
    What I don't understand is so many people saying they sacrifice time with their children to work on Sunday's... What is the difference between this or a mother working mon- fri and putting her child in day care??? Most mothers are sacrificing time with their children (unless they are school aged)
    My kids are school aged. So Mon-Fri I don't see them. My husband is only home weekends...so I don't see him either....which means less family time on the whole. Why would I sacrifice that without financial benefit?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree. I think people are still of the impression that Sunday's are sacred, but to most, they don't go to church, and do go to shops, cafes, restaurants, etc., like they would Monday - Saturday.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Meld85  (25-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Will you be affected by the change to weekend penalty rates?

But there is still a financial benefit... Just not as much as it was...

Thanks
    Reviews
    But there is still a financial benefit... Just not as much as it was...
    I'm not affected yet...but I'm already working in an underpaid job, I'm not going to continue to do it for even less money.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    I agree. I think people are still of the impression that Sunday's are sacred, but to most, they don't go to church, and do go to shops, cafes, restaurants, etc., like they would Monday - Saturday.
    Exactly - I completely understand that to have something and then have it taken away is incredibly disappointing but times are changing and the country does need to change with it.

Yes I can see how it effects mothers of school aged kids but Sunday shift workers are made up of other sectors - a lot are students as well and it suits them to work on a Sunday... For mothers with children not school aged it suits them because they save money on a day care day...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    I'm not affected yet...but I'm already working in an underpaid job, I'm not going to continue to do it for even less money.
    I am in the hospitality industry so I understand but I also chose this industry knowing it doesn't pay well... Most in my hotel have a contract that requires them to work shifts on the weekend and they won't be able to just stop them.

If you can't justify the pay with the time away from your kids that is absolutely your choice and that's great you have a choice... I personally think it is just a mindset that Australians need to move on from... That Sunday is a sacred day and workers deserve a huge reward for working them...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am in the hospitality industry so I understand but I also chose this industry knowing it doesn't pay well... Most in my hotel have a contract that requires them to work shifts on the weekend and they won't be able to just stop them.

If you can't justify the pay with the time away from your kids that is absolutely your choice and that's great you have a choice... I personally think it is just a mindset that Australians need to move on from... That Sunday is a sacred day and workers deserve a huge reward for working them...
    Without penalty rates my job pays me what a Mon-Fri 9-5 receptionist gets paid basically, only with night shifts, weekends, and 100 times the responsibility. Why on earth would I continue? A student can't do my job...it requires a university degree. I love my job, but it would not be financially worth it to keep working the hours I do for the pay I would get if I worked without penalty rates.
    My industry is not part of this cut...but I think it's a slippery slope that will end up impacting other professions.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (25-02-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (25-02-2017),SSecret Squirrel  (25-02-2017),Stiflers Mom  (26-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Will you be affected by the change to weekend penalty rates?

Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    Without penalty rates my job pays me what a Mon-Fri 9-5 receptionist gets paid basically, only with night shifts, weekends, and 100 times the responsibility. Why on earth would I continue? .
    You shouldn't - I never said you should?? I just said I don't typically believe in penalty rates....

I agree there are certain industries that should have their wages increased across the board- child care and elderly nursing are the first that come to mind but I personally believe that penalty rates are a bit more of a perk than an entitlement.
    Last edited by Meld85; 25-02-2017 at 15:37.