+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Most likely, I'm waiting to find out what my boss is planning in relation to it. It's such a shame I work most Sundays and now I will have to do that for less reward.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I worked Saturday's and Sunday's in retail while I was at school and Uni. It was only the youngest staff who got rostered on on Sunday's and public holidays. I was dreading getting older because it meant I'd get less shifts (fortunately I was promoted to weekend supervisor before I got too old so it didn't end up impacting me). So I am sort of supportive of this change, because it might mean the difference between a 20 year old who can only work weekends due to study commitments getting a shift or not getting a shift. If I had the choice of not getting a shift or having penalties reduced a bit, I would definitely have taken the shift.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Meld85  (24-02-2017),Mod-Zeddie  (24-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I'm a nurse and I can tell you if I didn't get Sunday rates I would drop that shift like a heavy sack of ****. The extra money is worth the sacrifice.

It's the vulnerable and desperate that won't be able to say no.

That saddens me greatly.
    Same for night shifts. Who in their right mind would work crazy hours for the love of the job? Not me. I love my job but I definitely don't love being awake at 2-3 in the morning let alone the drive home from work at 7:30am.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (24-02-2017),mummymaybe  (24-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I'm a nurse and I can tell you if I didn't get Sunday rates I would drop that shift like a heavy sack of ****. The extra money is worth the sacrifice.

It's the vulnerable and desperate that won't be able to say no.

That saddens me greatly.
    The sacrifice is huge. This weekend i will barely see kiddo because of my work hours. I only do it so we can stay afloat.

Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    Same for night shifts. Who in their right mind would work crazy hours for the love of the job? Not me. I love my job but I definitely don't love being awake at 2-3 in the morning let alone the drive home from work at 7:30am.
    If my penalty rates were ever dropped i would be straight back to working Monday to Friday during the day. Less money but at least i would get a decent sleep. Nights are such a shock to the body. I have been doing them for nearlt 2 years straight and i am still adjusting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For those saying they would stop working weekends if there were no penalty rates, do you think that option would be available? Is there enough demand in your industry to get those shifts? And do you think employers will be able to fill the night/weekend shifts without paying penalty rates, or would they need to pay them anyway to attract the staff to fill these shifts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    @babyno1onboard I know when my companies eba ends in 3.5 yrs (I'm part of westfarmers) that is when the rates will go down and I know we will be able to hire more people to do more shifts and have more customer service in the floor. As it is stock prices aren't going up in price at all but wages for my company go up 2x a year and have so done for 20 plus years. I know when I was full time with DS2 you took home roughly $490 a week I think it was and now 10 years later the same job takes home nearly $700 a week. Prices are down wages are up and something has to give. I do the job of 2 full time people and when I go back off mat leave in a few months I'm only going back part time @26hrs but I'll still do the job of 2 people because companies cannot afford to hire more staff as it is. It's not a store directive to do this it's the head office directive. If someone quits they aren't replaced but the hours disappear altogether. If there is a massive load of stock coming (every day though) then the casuals are called in to do the job

9. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (24-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not a shift worker, so won't be affected by these changes, but it makes me sad when people say 'I dont want to work sundays, but I am forced to, and miss out on time with my children, just to make ends meet'. I wonder if instead of relying on penalty rates, it would be a better system to increase wages overall across the board? So someone who worked sunday would be paid the same as someone who worked monday - and the people who worked sundays are the ones who actually choose to because they want to/ it works for them, not because they are forced to to make ends meet? But again, I'm saying raise the wages across the board so everyone gets paid more if penalties are removed. It just seems like a better system, rather than relying on penalty rates. I might be totally over simplifying things though.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (25-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a shift worker...not personally affected by these penalty rates yet but the potential is there. Where I work a lot of the employees have said they'd quit. And I'd be one of them. Or I'd drop from full time to 0.4 while I studied further and applied for a day hours non weekend job in my field. I know I'm lucky to be able to afford that option, though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If they removed or reduced the shift penalties in my organisation, I believe the sick leave taken on weekends and nights would increase significantly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a shift worker, but not in these industries. I have to say, if the penalties were dropped or lowered in my organization then I think they'd have a LOT of trouble filling Sunday shifts. It's always a struggle to fill the Friday and Saturday evening shifts (and active night shifts) as it stands.

I'd do Sunday shifts in a heartbeat if I got the opportunity (at double time), but wouldn't be interested if the penalty were reduced.