+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Will you be affected by the change to weekend penalty rates?

With many parents having to work less traditional hours in order to fit around caring for children, the changes to weekend penalty rates might affect those with young kids quite dramatically.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-2...cision/8295758

Will you be affected?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Not by this ruling specifically, but I think it sets a precedent for shift workers like nurses, midwives, police, paramedics, firefighters etc who all rely on penalty rates. My annual income could easily drop by around $10-20k without penalties for night shift, evening shifts, weekends etc. I don't want to have to work more shifts to make up the difference in my wage and legally I probably can't. Unless they're going to increase the hourly rate it's just scary to think about.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

LaDiDah  (24-02-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (24-02-2017),smallpotatoes  (24-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    Not by this ruling specifically, but I think it sets a precedent for shift workers like nurses, midwives, police, paramedics, firefighters etc who all rely on penalty rates. My annual income could easily drop by around $10-20k without penalties for night shift, evening shifts, weekends etc. I don't want to have to work more shifts to make up the difference in my wage and legally I probably can't. Unless they're going to increase the hourly rate it's just scary to think about.
    Exactly this. I think it is a slippery slope for other shift workers. I worry that these rules will eventually make their way into healthcare etc. our penalty rates make as massive difference.

I think it's a sad time for hospitality/retail workers. I worked all weekend while at uni and those penalty rates meant a lot. In a time where the government encourages young people get high paying jobs to facilitate buying a home this is just crazy. Earn more but we'll make it legal to pay you less.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It won't affect me personally, but I'm opposed to it and angry on behalf of those who will be affected.

I worked in retail when I was younger - it is not well paid to begin with, let alone now they're going to cut the penalty rates? It's just wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally no I won't be affected. But i have been trying to get some local work on a Sunday and there really isn't much available. I'm hoping that the drop in Sunday penalties means small businesses are open longer/need more staff and I will be able to get some extra work.
    Of course I feel for the families who rely on penalty rates to get by and is going to put extra strain on this families.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It won't affect me personally, but I am angry that this has happened. I know that people in these industries often struggle to make ends meet, and they rely on the penalty rates to help see them through. I also know that people in these industries are often treated poorly by the customers (and sometimes by the employer) and miss out on loads of family/friend time because of the shifts they have to work. I think penalty rates are only fair and should be retained. Scrapping them is ridiculously unfair. It's all very well for "them" to say "if you don't want to work it, just don't," but in practice that will mean that a lot of people will end up with no jobs. There will always be someone there who will take the work because they really need it.

I think it sets a dangerous precedent for other industries. And I haven't actually looked into the ruling in full, but read somewhere that public holiday rates are due to be cut later in the year. This is also unfair and setting a precedent that will mean that public holidays are in fact, not public holidays, because all employers will be able to have their employees working without extra cost.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (25-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work within this industry but I won't be affected as I'm M-F neither will my co-workers that work on Sundays for the time being as we are covered by our eba like a lot of companies are. Big w, Kmart, target, Coles, foodland, woolies, HJ, KFC, maccas, officeworks, dan Murphys, large chain coffee stores all have EBA's so won't be affected either until it comes to re-negotiate. My eba doesn't come up for review for another 3.5yrs that is when it will change.

It's all the little cafes and rest that don't have agreements where the buck will stock and staff will lose out. It's sucks and I don't agree with it happening but from a business point I also see why they will want it in place.

For instance where I work on Sunday a casual over the age of 20 gets $62.50 an hour where I get $21.50 an hr for during the week and all the staff on a Sunday do is customer service. Where weekday we deal with customers service, stock integrity, fixing up the mistakes made by the weekend staff as copping abuse from iy

Thanks
    Reviews
    It does effect me, I work in the hotel industry part time week days and weekends.

I'm probably the only one not outraged by the change.... I worked overseas for several years so know that we are extremely lucky to have penalty rates at all.

I believe it is a good thing for the economy - as a pp has said, it mainly effects small cafes, restaurants, some don't even open on a Sunday as they would be paying more for staff than earning.

I do feel for people this is effecting - I always enjoyed weekend shifts as it meant I could work more without paying daycare!!! The loadings a were good but they are only being reduced not taken away...

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was at uni I worked in retail and was paid penalty rates. I think it was 2.5 time on Sundays, which at the time (and now!) I consider a lot. I think 1.5 time is fair for Sunday / PH and 1.25 time for Saturdays.
    I'm not affected by the change as I have a salaried position and am paid the same each fortnight no matter how many hours I work or when these hours are.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Meld85  (24-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Will you be affected by the change to weekend penalty rates?

I'm a nurse and I can tell you if I didn't get Sunday rates I would drop that shift like a heavy sack of ****. The extra money is worth the sacrifice.

It's the vulnerable and desperate that won't be able to say no.

That saddens me greatly.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 24-02-2017 at 16:55.