+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default A 2 1/2 year old runner

How do you deal with a 2 1/2 year old who is a runner & who can get out of a harness?

I'm in an ivf 2 week wait so possibly pregnant (fingers crossed), but completely exhausted from the medication etc. I'm struggling to chase him, he's really fast & this afternoon I ended up having a headspin after I finally caught him

I don't drive far & we have no completely fenced playgrounds within walking distance. I need to take him to the playground late afternoon so he sleeps at night - if I had to catch public transport somewhere it would be like an entire afternoon trip.

Or he does it in the shopping centre carpark

He thinks it's hilarious but he always runs straight towards the road & doesn't look like he's going to stop & I'm not willing to wait & see given a road is involved

I can't just not take him anywhere & I can't always travel miles on public transport.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How does he get out of the harness? Can he wriggle his way out, or does he undo the clips?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My DS was a runner (he's 6 now and has thankfully grown out of it) - the only advice I can give is that you just have to be vigilant with hand holding.

We literally could not let go of his hand for a second as he could not be trusted to stay put. It was hard, but we just had to be cautious at all times.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Have you tried a different harness? Use a pram? Trike?

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS was a runner. At that age I used the pram or trike (the trike had a pram like harness)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm taking him to playgrounds to play, so I can't really have him in the pram

He'll just randomly take off

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had (have) a bolter, he was 2.5 when I got pregnant and it was tough. I also got SPD ligament pain early in and was crippled by the end so chasing him was impossible.

I'd be limiting what you do, can you try and run him down in your backyard? Do you have an oval nearby if not a fenced park.

I found I needed to get incentive with games etc. I could do at home. Like I'd hide all his toys cars, teddies etc in obvious places while he shut his eyes and he'd race and find them.

My son flat out refused the harness or he could get it off, but is your child undoing the clips or wriggling out? Harnesses arent ideal at the park but they're good at the shops. We tried a houdini at about 15 months for the car and he got out if it straight away but I found cutting the end off a sock and putting that over it made it more difficult and he'd give up about half the time. That could work.

Can you call in some help?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

allatsea  (24-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I feel your pain. When out, we use the pram, i carry him, he hold hands firmly, or i use something like this. Velcro around their wrist is good and strong.

When we're at a park, i watch him closely and try to anticipate... not always easy!

Have you tried teaching him the stop and go game? Ie he has to stop when you shout stop?
    Attached Images

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Can you get a toddler trampoline and wear him out at home?