ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Parental leave pay work test

I'm currently figuring out how to pass the work test for parental leave pay.
    I would've passed it without a problem if I didn't have to stop working earlier than expected because of pregnancy complications.
    I do have a document from my doctor that says I'm not able to work until delivery.
    I was wondering how I have to prove that I would have worked enough if it wasn't for that doctor's advice. Is a contract a good way to prove that?
    Also, how do you prove how long you've worked, you can't print off all your payslips, I presume...
    thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Parental leave pay work test

Hi @HollyCas, my sister suffered from hyperemesis and then my niece was born prematurely, but had it not been for those factors she would have met the work test. I'm pretty sure she just got her doctor and employer to write a letter confirming this and submitted it to centrelink. This was a number of years ago now so you might be best to check with centrelink what the process is, but you're definitely still entitled when you have to stop work due to pregnancy complications.

ETA last time, I didn't have to give any evidence of how long I have worked, I think it was just a question on the online form, and same deal so far this time. If there's anyone they are questioning I would assume they'd ask their employer for wage records.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    From memory, the Doctor's note should be enough. They don't ask for proof though.
    Basically, you check that you have all the evidence you'd need if necessary - submit the application, claiming that you do meet the requirements, and then you get approved and receive the payments. Technically they can come back and ask for that evidence, but I've never heard of it happening. So long as you've got records somewhere of your payslips/doctor's advice to fall back on in the unlikely event of being audited, you'll be fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Because my employer is a large organization they are registered with centrelink and have one person in our company (payroll) that confirms everything. She said my application would have come through on the portal they have with centrelink and she confirms I meet the work test. So perhaps work out who this person is in your organisation and attach the doctors letter to the centrelink application and email a copy to the payroll person so everyone is on the same page.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm, see, mine was 3 lots of work (government, self-employed and then not-for-profit) in the time period, and I was expecting to have to supply evidence as noone else could confirm to Centrelink that I met the requirements.

When I put my application in, it said something along the lines of "we will contact you to let you know what evidence will be required", and the only contact I received was a letter confirming that my application had been accepted.

I know others who have had similar things happen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep there is a clause in the legislation that lets you forgoe the work test if you had to give up work due to Pregnancy related illness or complications.

I was put on bed rest at 17 weeks (with a weeks notice) and my employer just wrote me a letter to say that had i not had a pregnancy complication (high blood pressure) i would have continued to work. So you could get your employer to do that, or a doctor could write you a similar letter (which I also had). I'd maybe send in one from a doctor and see if it's enough, may well be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all, is it really that easy? I tried to start my claim online but got the message that I couldn't do that and have to contact centrelink. So now I looked at the list that states what I need to provide en started gathering all the paperwork, so that I can take it all to my centrelink service centre. I've spend most of my day doing that. Probably for nothing if I read your comments. I even contacted my employer asking for proof of working hours and unpaid leave etc.
    But at least I'll have it all ready if needed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I actually got the same message so gave up and tried a week later and it worked!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

HollyCas  (23-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've got it sorted. I did have to go to centrelink to update my account. That's one more thing out of the way. It was easier than I thought. I just needed to upload doctor's certificate and a letter from my employer (for which I used my contract instead) and if they need anything else they will contact me. Worries for nothing apparently.
    Thanks everyone!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyCas For This Useful Post:

DT75  (24-02-2017)