+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Dog was aggressive to DS

This thread has had a number of posts deleted after one person took it upon themselves to make the OP feel as bad as possible.

The OP already feels incredibly sad about rehoming her dog. She is a grown woman and a mother and does not need a lecture from a complete stranger.

Constructive advice is welcome here, but personal attacks are not.

Please continue to post supportively or this thread will be closed.
    Last edited by Mod-Degrassi; 22-02-2017 at 17:33.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (23-02-2017),CleverClogs  (01-03-2017),FarmMumma  (02-03-2017),Full House  (22-02-2017),JustJaq  (22-02-2017),LoveLivesHere  (22-02-2017),TheGooch  (22-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    This thread has had a number of posts deleted after one person took it upon themselves to make the OP feel as bad as possible.

The OP already feels incredibly sad about rehoming her dog. She is a grown woman and a mother and does not need a lecture from a complete stranger.

Constructive advice is welcome here, but personal attacks are not.

Please continue to post supportively or this thread will be closed.
    I read the start of this and have only just come back. In all honesty I don't blame her for rehoming the dog. I'm also shocked at the response to the breed. Bulldogs are generally regarded as having a loving, gentle temperament.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I only just got back to read the replies and saw some have been deleted. I'm glad to have not read them as obviously you have not ever had to do through what my family have just gone through. Both the attack and the giving him away. My son cried for 3 days. I have no concerns on the dog breed. Our previous dog was as gentle as lamb and was the same type of breeds. He died of old age last year. My sister has a pit-bull who is so gentle and docile that the vet, the dog day care he goes to (with about 20 other dogs) and the dog trainer all love him. He is the most useless guard dog , she borrowed my mums blind poodle to try and teach him to bark at people walking past - was not an success. He's still useless and the most gentle and loving dog I have ever encountered. And I've been attacked 4 times by dogs (mostly none serious ) NONE of which were bull dog breeds.
    Thank you to those who wrote kind words, this was an extremely difficult decision but at the end of the day I didn't even want the kids patting him through the fence and he deserved better then that. And just a note on dog breeds - the two most aggressive dogs on our street are two labs. The rest are bull-dog types and I'd much rather be jumping the fence to the bullies then these two Labradors.
    Last edited by CleverClogs; 01-03-2017 at 01:02.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CleverClogs For This Useful Post:

Californication  (01-03-2017),CazHazKidz  (01-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverClogs View Post
    I only just got back to read the replies and saw some have been deleted. I'm glad to have not read them as obviously you have not ever had to do through what my family have just gone through. Both the attack and the giving him away. My son cried for 3 days. I have no concerns on the dog breed. Our previous dog was as gentle as lamb and was the same type of breeds. He died of old age last year. My sister has a pit-bull who is so gentle and docile that the vet, the dog day care he goes to (with about 20 other dogs) and the dog trainer all love him. He is the most useless guard dog , she borrowed my mums blind poodle to try and teach him to bark at people walking past - was not an success. He's still useless and the most gentle and loving dog I have ever encountered. And I've been attacked 4 times by dogs (mostly none serious ) NONE of which were bull dog breeds.
    Thank you to those who wrote kind words, this was an extremely difficult decision but at the end of the day I didn't even want the kids patting him through the fence and he deserved better then that. And just a note on dog breeds - the two most aggressive dogs on our street are two labs. The rest are bull-dog types and I'd much rather be jumping the fence to the bullies then these two Labradors.
    Don't worry, it was just someone who posted purely to cause drama...genuine bher's had your back.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Californication  (01-03-2017),CazHazKidz  (01-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh how awful- for you and your kids, and yes the dog

It's never an easy decision is it, but the kids come first.

I agree with others, in that I would have taken the dog to a vet to see if her was hurt first. But I still think you did what is right for your family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I guess it's normal to second guess yourself, as mums we do it to ourselves all the time.
    What you need to remind yourself is that you did what is best for your children. In that situation I'd have done the same thing.
    Breed doesn't always matter sometimes it's more the upbringing, our lab is a typical lab, harmless and loveable, but there is one in our street that is anything but harmless.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparklebug View Post
    Breed doesn't always matter sometimes it's more the upbringing, our lab is a typical lab, harmless and loveable, but there is one in our street that is anything but harmless.
    I agree with this. I've had a blue heeler cross that was the gentlest dog ever. People I know had a heeler that attacked anything that moved, including kids. I couldn't believe it bit 5 kids before they did anything about it

I also used to be good friends with someone who had a pit bull. He was the biggest sook ever! Used to cower in the corner if someone knocked on the door

I think instinct and genetics play a part in how a dog behaves, but training and "parenting" also plays a huge part if you ask me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You did the right thing! Please don't feel guilty. You cannot have an aggressive dog around children. My aunt had a dog that started off with mild aggression towards kids. It ended up severely biting a 5 year girl on her face.

I also don't think this is necessarily a breed thing. You can get placid dogs and aggressive dogs in just about every breed. My Dad had a very aggressive Cavalier King Charles Spaniel that I wouldn't trust around my kids.

The main thing is your kids have to be your priority. Your dog may never have badly hurt your kids, but it also might have. And that is a chance you just shouldn't risk. If I couldn't trust a pet around my kids, I would definitely rehome.

I can imagine this must be a very traumatic, stressful and sad time for you. Please be kind to yourself. You sound like a wonderful mum looking after her family and doing the best thing for the dog. Big hugs x