+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Dog was aggressive to DS

Our dog is a 9m old mixed bread bull dog type and yesterday he was aggressive towards my 3 year old. All DS did was try and brush sand off him and he snapped at him. I thought that's weird but dismissed it. Then I was patting him and then said come on DS let's brush the sand off. That's when he turned around and aggressively gave him a warning nip. Growled, amd left a mark from his teeth. DS was screaming and Iwas crying. This is on the back of an incident the day before where he may or may not have been aggressive to an friends son. This boy is knowing for being extremely wimpy for lack of another word. When I told his Dad just said don't worry about it amd was laughing. We all just thought it was the dog playing rough as he does with our kids and this boy doing what he normally does. My DD said it was aggressive, DS said it wasn't. Anyway, having been attacked myself 4 times (,not by our dog ) Iwas terrified to let the dog near the kids and decided to rehome him. He's gone to a shelter that does temprement testing and places him with new owners. The thing is - I feel so guilty! I just want to cry and cry. I want to get him back. But I just don't feel I could ever trust him again. Did I do the right thing? ,what would you all do? He's never been aggressive before and he was not desexed. Had a booking last week and we had to rebook for this week for the chop.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    is the dog hurt at all? if both occasions were when you were brushing sand off, maybe you touched a sore point on the dog?

if not - if its just aggressiveness, you definitely need to look at it very seriously. You cannot have a dog that is aggressive towards children.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (21-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Big hugs. You did the right thing. There are a lot of reasons your dog could have snapped but when the safety of your kids is at question, you cant take any risks. Hopefully the people rehoming him can get to the bottom of it and he goes to a place where he is not feeling so stressed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You did the right thing. Don't feel guilty. I am a huge dog lover, but if my dog snapped at one of my kids he'd be gone. No second chances. It's not worth the risk. Male dogs get testosterone boosts a couple of times before they turn 2, desexed or not. I've had two dogs show aggression once they have had these hits. One I had put to sleep after being assessed by an animal behaviourist, and one I rehomed (different behaviours). I loved both of them to pieces, but it's difficult to train out aggressive behaviours and I won't take the chance.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

FarmMumma  (02-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Op you have done the right thing. Your pup will likely be rehomed to an owner with no children. You can not risk your child being hurt out of guilt for the pup. As an ex vet nurse who worked with animals for decades before having children I GET the above poster, but it's not helpful at all to berate someone who's already made a mistake and is living with it.

Forgive yourself xox
    Last edited by Mod-Degrassi; 22-02-2017 at 16:20.

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (22-02-2017),BH-KatiesMum  (22-02-2017),BornToBe  (22-02-2017),CleverClogs  (28-02-2017),CountryMumkin  (22-02-2017),gingermillie  (22-02-2017),LoveLivesHere  (22-02-2017),TheGooch  (22-02-2017),zelda  (22-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

We had a dog that was aggressive. We tried to research best breeds, everything I read and everyone I spoke to said Boxers were incredible with kids. We bought her from someone reputable and knew she had always been looked after. We don't have dog training classes nearby but we did make an attempt at training her ourselves, she wasn't of age to be desexed yet. And she still turned out aggressive. Sometimes you can do everything that you think is right and it just doesn't work out. She ended up turning really skittish and would bow her head all the time (like an abused dog except we never hit her) and I told my husband I just couldn't have her around anymore. Not with 4 little kids in the house. We rejoined her to my FIL. 2 years on and he is still having problems with her but he's a big bloke with no little kids so it's not so bad. And with him training her all that time she is slightly better. I still can't put the kids near her really when we visit.
    Sometimes rehoming is the best choice. It was for us and it seems like it was for you. I still feel guilty about it and despite wanting another dog, I just can't bring myself to do it.
    Last edited by Ahalfdozen; 22-02-2017 at 17:29.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

CleverClogs  (28-02-2017),gingermillie  (22-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A friends dog bit their 5 year old and despite only being a small dog and only biting once, the damage was horrific. Rehoming dogs that are particularly aggressive to children is the only option. It's not worth the risk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You have done the right thing. In my personal opinion I would never have got a dog of that breed (or similae) and not a male either, (only because I believe females are easier to train). I'm sorry you are feeling guilty about this but I believe you have made the right choice, not just in interest of the child(ren) but also the pup, you didn't just dump or palm off to someone else who may or may not have been able to help. Some dogs are just like that. We have a JRT who can be irritable at times (never snapped or nipped) but will leave, pull away if there's too much pinching/pulling going on. I hope you can forgive yourself, I understand it may be hard but I really believe you made the right choices for your family. (dog included)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    To be honest, no I wouldn't have jumped straight to rehoming. I personally believe family pets deserve more than that. I would have kept the kids and the dog separate until it was sorted, I would have had the dog thoroughly examined by the vet in case it has some kind of injury or illness making it more sensitive. If it was determined that there was some behavioural issues with the dog I would have re-homed with family or friends who don't have small children.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

MrsBMum2be  (22-02-2017),Tainted  (22-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There was a story a few years ago where a dog had attacked a child and been put down. The vet found crayons stuffed into the dogs ear canals after it was euthanized and determined that this dog had been in terrible agony when he had attacked and it was due to the child. Its not as easy as it was the breed or it was the child in my opinion.