+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Just want to add....that I am surprised at how different breastmilk and formula tastes!! They couldn't be more different.

Just find it funny/ weird....😀

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RoseMay View Post
    I agree with this. Contact the hospital where you gave birth. Public hospitals will have access to a free service.

It is very hard in the early weeks but if you persevere through this tough time you should get some help.

Personally I believe in demand feeding to establish supply in the early days / weeks. I think formula and bottles can mess with this a bit. Sorry don't want to offend anyone, just my personal experience.

Good luck ☺
    Completely agree with this but please also follow the instructions of a medical professional as well. I was advised to top up due to the amount of weight DD lost. Whilst bottles can mess with supply (and it did for me) it's also very important to do the right thing by bubs health and if bub loses too much weight and too quickly then that is a bigger issue than poor supply.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely tortoise. ...kim85 is your baby putting on weight?

I know it can seem like they are not getting enough milk or struggling or whatever but if they are gaining weight they are usually doing fine.

Some babied are actual really good at getting out what they need in a short amount of time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. Yeh I was upset when the hospital said medically I needed to give formula as bub had jaundice and needed fluids which I didn't have.
    He is gaining heaps of weight now but if I don't give the formula top ups he acts like he is starving still.

I think my diet is ok but maybe I will look up what not to eat.. maybe that's it. So hard to know when they can't tell you..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Keep on boobin!!! You are doing an amazing job. The first few weeks are the toughest whilst building your supply, which is important as around the 8-12week mark your body will move more to a supply and demand rather than hormonal based.

Highly recommend seeing an IBCLC (find one in your area on the aba website) rather than a general LC as they are generally not as knowledgeable. Even giving the aba a call if you are having questions etc as they are amazing to speak with.

Your breastmilk will always be changing to what your baby needs so don't be too worried about watery vs creamy looking, it doesn't make a difference. Some days I would have really creamy milk and others more watery.

Could you perhaps move to breast milk top ups if you feel like he needs it?

Btw I have no issues with formula, my 9m is now formula fed. We had our own struggles and journey with breastfeeding (that's another story) for 7months so I emphasis with how you feel. I just want you to know you are doing an amazing job either way!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is also a great fb page called breastfeeders in australia that offer fantastic support if you are after that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Keep on boobing.

Honestly, if your bub is used to getting formula too ups then yes they probably will seem unsettled after breast-only feeds. That's not a bad thing though. Being unsettled means bub will demand more milk.

Bottles are easier to drink from and formula takes longer to digest, but if you keep putting bub back to the boob then your body will 'learn' to produce more. It will take time, but it'll get there. Your body is made to do this.

Personally, if bub's gaining well, I'd be reducing/dropping the top ups as quickly as possible. Understand that not everyone would be comfortable with that though.

Also agree with the suggestion of an IBCLC. So many health professionals have very limited or misguided information when it comes to breastfeeding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How's the feeding going OP?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi I'm still persevering with breastfeeding. My supply has not got any better. I still have to top up with formula otherwise my son just keeps crying for more food. I don't know why my supply just doesn't build beyond what it is. This was the same with first child.
    I considered giving up and just doing formula but I'm glad I didn't do that. I will mix feed for as long as ds wants it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Op, does bub stay long enough on each breast before you change over, because to get to the hind milk (the creamy sustenance milk) they need to be on a little longer to get past the foremilk (the watery one). I know with my supply in the early days I had to spend a lot of time topless and feeding to gain and maintain a supply. Mix feeding is fine, but sometimes because bub has to work less for it (bottle) as opposed to the breast, your supply can take a bit of a hit and not build up so to speak. Either way, kudos to you for persevering, it can be difficult in early days.