+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Breastfeeding milk not enough?

My ds is 2 weeks old.. I'm mix feeding but trying to get rid of the formula top ups.

When I just bf ds is constantly grumpy.. looking to feed but getting annoyed.
    As soon as i top him up he is content happy and calm.
    I'm getting over trying but it's so early! Why is my milk not good enough?
    I tried all day today to just bf but the day was filled with a cranky baby until I gave in at 430pm to see if that's what would settle him and yep a full bottle of formula did it.

I have expressed a full bottle and even after that he was still a grump so it's like it's my milk that sux.
    Any advice??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    BF for a baby is harder to do than a bottle. They have to work harder for it.

How is the latch? How is your flow? Do you burp?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Latch has been checked and good. He pulls on and off a bit before latching sometimes.
    No tongue tie.

I don't know how my flow should be. When I double express for 10mins I get about 40mls in the mornings.. seems to squirt out nicely and pause then do it again etc.
    Yes I burp him also

Thanks
    Reviews
    He may get frustrated that your milk isn't as creamy as the formula. I gave my DD top ups because she needed them but my gosh it made breastfeeding harder. It impacted my supply and the creaminess of my milk.

I have now moved her to formula only after giving her a month of breast milk (the ABA said that was great because of immunity and antibodies so don't be too hard on yourself) but before I did I was able to make my milk more creamy. Unfortunately after two days not being able to pump, my supply dropped drastically so I made the move to formula only.

Anyway the way that I made my milk more creamy (and more satisfying for bub) was by soaking oats in a cup of water over night and drinking the water in the morning. You'll need to put it through a strainer to seperate the oats and water because you just drink the water. It makes your milk creamy within a couple of days That might help bub from fussing a little! My little one is a milk monster and my boobs just couldn't keep up with her! Not everyone can establish enough of a supply! Don't beat yourself up about doing tops up but just know that unfortunately it can make the road harder!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I asked about flow as sometimes pulling off/fussy can mean it is too fast.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for the tip about creaminess. I will try the oat water thing for sure. I was so bent on exclusively bf this time around and it's just going worse than with my first child.

I don't think my flow is too fast.. sometimes it drips when he pulls off but doesn't spray fast down his throat that I can tell.. he doesn't cough and splutter with it. Good thought though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can you get in to see a community lactation consultant and get their opinion on the pattern of a full breastfeed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Bub may be fussy as they are building your supply? You could try power pumping to build it up more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Another thought are you eating things can will affect your milk and bubs doesn't like the taste. Diet needs to be quite bland in the early days

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPopsicle View Post
    Can you get in to see a community lactation consultant and get their opinion on the pattern of a full breastfeed?
    I agree with this. Contact the hospital where you gave birth. Public hospitals will have access to a free service.

It is very hard in the early weeks but if you persevere through this tough time you should get some help.

Personally I believe in demand feeding to establish supply in the early days / weeks. I think formula and bottles can mess with this a bit. Sorry don't want to offend anyone, just my personal experience.

Good luck ☺

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RoseMay For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (22-02-2017),MrsMummaButterfly  (11-04-2017)