+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Buying land or building a house with partner.

Hi all,

I'm a single mum, but I have a boyfriend who doesn't live with me.

He's about to get a loan for some land. In the future he hopes that we will build on it obviously but not for a couple of years.

Does anyone know the rules with Centrelink or been in a similar situation when it comes to this situation? I'm thinking that when we are building I'll still live separately, and then when it's finished we'll all move in with each other.

But if I go joint in a loan, will Centrelink deem that as living together even if we aren't?
    Does any of that make sense?

Just an idea.

Thanks
    Kitty.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I *think* it would be hard to justify to Centrelink that you're not partnered if you own property together?? Not sure though just my guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks bezzy,

Not trying to wrought any system, it just changes the timeline of when and how things might progress. I can't get work until I recover from my operation, I can't have my op until feb next year because of the waiting period, and well yeah I could go on and on haha!

Life's too hard sometimes

Or I'm just impatient

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was told by Centrelink that if you spend more than 4 nights a week together you can't be classed as a single parent so I guess 'technically' you would still be a single parent. I would ring and check though (painful I know!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Personally I would see it as a relationship if your going to get a home loan together.

But a few things to think of. Have you known your bf long enough to want to commit to something so big like this as you've said in previous posts about how your ex was.

Are you contributing to the deposit for the land from when you had your former home ? If so what % are you putting in and what % is the bf putting in.

If it where me as my ex was the same as yours I wouldn't be making a massive commitment like that. Maybe let the bf buy the land and when and if you get to the stage of building then go in on the financial side of things

A friend works for Centrelink in frauds and you'd be surprised at how many people get in Trouble for stuff like this

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Do you have separate accounts? Separate assets?

I would contact Centrelink if unsure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks,

No he's buying the land. That was his choice and his hope for us is to build later if we are still together.

I can't really do anything or contribute to the land/build until I get a job. And that's why we don't live together yet. I'm waiting for surgery. That will be in a years time. And then 6 months of physiotherapy. So it'll be awhile before I can contribute.

Accounts are separate. Never had a joint account with anyone. I don't think they help. He stays on weekends, sometimes only one night as he has his kids every 2nd weekend. And he works 5 minutes away from where he currently lives and his start hours are generally really early. So not worth staying with me during the week as I'm further away. My house is also tiny. His crap wouldn't fit .

And I certainly don't want to get into trouble for anything. That's why I wondered how it would work if we are still not living together and yet we are building a house? I think being armed with this info also helps me to make my bf understand that I'm still not in any position to move forward. As hard as that is. And as much as I would like to, I'm also very practical. Hence all the questions about how all this works. It's all too complicated. And my children come first. Always will.

Thanks!
    Kitty.