+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have three asd kids and one with ADD and anxiety.
    He sounds a lot like my one with ADD. It doesn't really sound like asd to me but it could be.
    I have an undiagnosed 5 year old who is a lot like your son as well. He can be as friendly as anything if he chooses but I've had him just abandon friends who came over simply because he had had enough playing with them. I have him pegged for ADHD more than asd. He's also a show off and an emotional manipulative type!
    It could also be anxiety. People don't seem to understand the far reaching consequences of an anxiety disorder. It doesn't always have you quiet and in the corner, it can manifest as aggressive and loud. It can look like a lot of other disorders as well.

Personality traits, possibly. He's young. Also a lot of us that are older now might have got diagnosed something when we were young but it simply wasn't known.
    Example I would have been diagnosed with sensory disorders, anxiety and selective mutism had anyone known what those things were when I was a kid. I'm 37. Some of them are still with me and some I grew out of, painfully so!

Definitely worth getting a professional opinion or maybe even two.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (22-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds a LOT like my daughter! I can see where you're coming from. I've often wondered whether it might be worth getting some help with regard to her behaviour.

It's hard. I think a lot of it is just age/personality, but with our DD I think she's also pretty anxious. There could be more to it too.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds so much like my son... Although he can be very affectionate - that was the only difference I could see.

I've already had the chat with the teacher that he has issues and easily distracted... I have a feeling I have an ADD diagnosis coming up but I want to give him a few months at school to give him a chance to adjust...

Sorry not much help but the fact that so many have said it sounds like their child may mean it is just a phase for this age?!?!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Meld85 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Not all, but a lot of what you have said is my 3.5 year old. Being my 3rd child and comparing him to the older 2 (I know you shouldn't compare kids but it's hard not to) I have often wondered if he has some sort of behavioral issue that I should be exploring further. It's a hard one. I've often thought Possibly ADD or SPD but have not really considered ASD.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, it's very reassuring to know that these issues are common, it means there must be ways of managing these issues and it's comforting to know he isn't the only one with difficulties too. I was worried he would be the odd one out but I guess all children are a little odd in their own way

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also his behaviour and ways of dealing with stress are sometimes very similar to my husband. And we both agree that hubby could possibly be on the spectrum. We kind of joke about it. But in all honesty, it's probably true. Can autism be hereditary?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't actually know if they have proven it is. When my eldest son was diagnosed back in 2006 the doctor told me it was genetic from the mother.
    I myself feel it's definitely genetic from either side and I won't believe otherwise.
    My father and my maternal grandfather had some rather different behaviours. My eldest children's father has brothers with asd.
    I'm sure my husband and his mother and possibly her father have some sort of ADHD.
    I think it's rarely seen that a kid has asd or ADHD and there is no one in the family with it, diagnosed or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    One of my sons has autism, and one is awaiting assessment for autism and ADHD. It's been mentioned by my mental health nurse that I might possibly be touching on the spectrum. On my fathers side, he is one of 8 and I would hazard a guess that at least 4 of them have autism to some degree. My dad has a cousin who has it so severely he is in a home full time (he'd be 40s now). Then I have cousins and some of my cousins have kids that show signs but I don't have contact with my family anymore so not sure if any diagnoses happened. There are a handful of ADHD diagnoses though. So I am awfully confident it's hereditary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Also his behaviour and ways of dealing with stress are sometimes very similar to my husband. And we both agree that hubby could possibly be on the spectrum. We kind of joke about it. But in all honesty, it's probably true. Can autism be hereditary?
    I believe it is. It's not uncommon to see multiple members of the same family with ASD.

My DH has said before that he thinks he would be on the spectrum. I used to be pretty dismissive when he said it, but recently we chatted about it more and I believe he actually could be (though high functioning). I don't believe I am, though I certainly have some traits!

Thanks
    Reviews
    @witherwings, your OP sounded sooooo much like my 5 y/o nephew that I actually had to check that you weren't my SIL.

My SIL has suspected for about 3 years that there was something "different" about her son. I agreed with her and kept suggesting that she get a professional to assess him, but in all honesty SIL had a lot of other family and friends say things like "that just sounds like normal boy behaviour" or "he's only 3, he will grow out of it" or "he's only 4 and just started kinder, he will learn to share/play nicely/not always want the green toys" and every little comment like that made SIL think that perhaps she was over-reacting. She honestly thought that she was to blame for some of his behaviours as she had well meaning, but thoughtless, family members say "he just lacks discipline, you need to be firmer with him".

My nephew started school this year and they agreed there are some behaviours that should be looked at and just last week a pediatrician suggested perhaps ASD or ADHD and she has referred my nephew to a psych and a speech pathologist for further assessment.

If you think there is something at play, then I'd suggest you get your little one assessed asap.

Good luck.

ETA: just read the entire thread and see that you are going to see your GP. Sorry, didnt see that before I posted.
    Last edited by GirlsRock; 22-02-2017 at 19:07.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (28-02-2017)