+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default When it's you

At what point do you see a doctor? BOTH my girls sleep through, occasionally waking for a quick cuddle/ drink ( we co sleep so they're 1/2 asleep still and stay that way) I on the other hand can't shut down. I'm lucky to have slept 4 hours straight in nearly 4 years!!! Even when kid free. Total sleep is maybe 6-7 average if I'm lucky a night.
    Is this normal?
    Ps cosleeping has nothing to do with it, king size bed with a husband that works nights and kids that stay in their spot so not disturb that way just can't shut down

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you have tried the usual 'sleep hygiene' suggestions to no avail I would see the GP. DH had trouble sleeping and took sleeping tablets for three nights to 'break the cycle' of not being able to get a good night sleep (I've listed some things below he/we do regularly) it really worked for him although not sure it would be a good idea with co-sleeping plus being on your own with the children as he fell into quite deep sleeps after taking them [this wasn't a herbal supplement like melatonin, he tried that although it didn't really make a difference].

Good night sleep things we do - no screen/white light a few hours before bed, warm bath (I have a bath with magnesium flakes + lavender and chamomile essential oil most nights), camomile (or similar caffeine free) tea a few hours before bed, not eating a few hours before bed, gentle yoga sequence, no electronics in our bedroom at all and block out curtains. Thats off the top of my head.

We take our sleep seriously here I follow the bloggers Mommytotomus and The Paleo Mom and they both have some great posts when it comes to sleep.

Hope you find something that works soon!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to michellead For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (21-02-2017),maternidade  (21-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have sleeping problems. Have since I can remember, even as a kid. And I would say that two of my kids having sleeping problems to the point of a diagnosis and medication indicates a genetic problem.
    My biggest tip is to not lay in bed until you fall asleep. I have a general rule of if I've been laying down and haven't fallen asleep within 20 minutes, I get up and do a quick job, then try again. Same goes for middle of the night when I wake up. It seems counter productive in theory, as getting up usually wakes you up more. But it's something to do with how the longer you lay there tossing and turning, the more your brain fights it.
    I've managed to go from about 4 hours total per night, up to about 6 hours. I haven't seen the GP as I know they'll want to prescribe stuff and I have 4 small kids and a shift working husband and I'm just not willing to be "knocked out" at night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have had insomnia since around the age of 8.
    I have been on medication since age 14. It helps me stay asleep but doesn't actually help me get to sleep.
    I haven't taken it in almost 2 years due to bub- she doesn't sleep through and I wouldn't wake to her if I have fallen asleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I wish I had the answer as I am lucky to get 4 hours a day when I work with working night shift. Currently I put on something from YouTube like a hypnosis clip/soft music or will pop the radio on and just hope for the best. Sleeping pills don't work for me at all so can't even use them.

When I am at home,I don't go to bed til I actually feel tired so whether it's 10pm or 2am etc, I will wait til then otherwise it will take me forever to go to sleep otherwise and I am usually up and down a few times a night as it is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've always only got around 6-7 hours total sleep a night, I kind of just assumed that was normal! 4 hours sleep a night would not be good for me though!

My baby sleeps through until about 6am most nights now, but I'll have trouble falling asleep and always wake up several times a night. It was the same before I had her though. I've always had to be up for work at 6am and usually went to bed about 10:30pm so there wasn't much more than 7 hours available for sleep anyway. I used to be able to sleep for 9 or 10 hours on the weekend years ago, but haven't for quite a while now.

I have no answers because I don't know why it is. I tried no coffee after breakfast, no screen time for two hours before bed, making the room darker, no liquid two hours before bed, more exercise, staying up later so I'd be more tired... nothing seems to really work. Luckily I feel fine on that much sleep so maybe it's all my body needs?