+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldn't make my girl do it, I want school to be something she enjoys not something she gets upset and stressed about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    I should add, at our school it's compulsory to take part if you attend, so if my kid has a reason not to take part, they stay home.

They don't have the help to supervise kids in different areas, so they have those currently in the water, those done, and those waiting.

I have a huge problem with the school's attitude in regards to the swimming carnival in particular. They are really quite nasty to kids that don't participate.
    I had words with the principal two years ago and basically told him that until the school is funding the lessons for all the kids, they should shut it.
    DSS couldn't swim competently and was terrified of water then (Y2) so I kept him home. The teacher and principal went nuts.
    Funnily enough they are a lot more relaxed about it now- seems quite a few parents jumped on the 'well pay for our lessons then' wagon.
    See I like the way our school does it. They do 4 weeks of Austswim lessons at the town pool (2 days a week for half hour or an hour or something) which means the teachers really know what level each kid is at by the time the carnival comes around. They do noodle races for the kids that cannot swim.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

DT75  (21-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Carnivals are compulsory at our kids' school. They are also inclusive and well run. We have an expectation that our kids will give all things a go at school (that are requirements). They are both the kind of kids who like to be involved and we're yet to hit any stumbling blocks. That said, neither of our kids are competition swimmers. They enjoy the swimming carnival but do feel nervous before their first race. They have preparation lessons for 3 weeks prior to the carnival so the school is well aware of any strugglers. Our kids are middle of the road swimmers and always end up really enjoying the day. We also think it's important for them to develop house spirit and cheer on and encourage their swimmer friends. They enjoy athletics and cross country carnivals.

I was not a sporty kid. I was an ok swimmer, terrible runner, good at shot put and discus and average at jumping events. The sports carnival was never my favourite day but my mum expected me to go, participate and support my team mates. I always enjoyed the atmosphere of the day despite my average ability.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by teenie View Post
    I always enjoyed the atmosphere of the day despite my average ability.
    Maybe that was my issue, I don't enjoy the atmosphere of sporting and carnival events at all. Not even when we went to the basketball in LA a few years ago. Although, when they announced that if the Lakers won, everyone would get 2 free tacos, I was suddenly all "Goooooooo Lakers!!"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HillDweller For This Useful Post:

teenie  (21-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    In the young primary grades yes absolutely. I encourage my children to give everything a go.
    Once they're a bit older if they really hate it and it makes them feel uncomfortable in any way then I would probably not make them go... but I would encourage them to. It's about being a team player and being a part of something. Even if you're only there to cheer your team mates on it's still an important part of life, especially in the very early years.
    I was one of those kids in high school who was very uncomfortable in PE because I hated ball sports. I was unco and unsocial and I hated it. It turned me off PE all together even though I was actually very athletic and good at swimming running and lots of individual sports, my teacher hated me and automatically assumed I wasn't a team player because I hated team ball sports and refused to take part properly.
    I think it's important to embrace every childs individuality. If my sports teacher had have just recognized that I didn't SUCK at sport, just ball sports, and wasn't so nasty to me about it, I would have done a lot better in PE.
    Once I left school I started karate and I was GOOD at it. But the BEST bit about it was being part of a team and cheering on all my friends at tournaments. I wish I'd felt that way about PE at school. I will make sure my kids realise how awesome and important it is to be a part of team even if you're not good at everything that team does.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I don't know about your school but I can assure you the "squares" in the library were never cheered on by the sporty kids at my school. Quite the opposite, in fact.
    No. But they did have their work displayed in classrooms. Great art goes on the wall, certificates at assembly for a good job. Notes in newsletters. They may not be cheered on as such but the achievement is public and celebrated.

But that wasn't really my point. Both sides should be celebrating, accepting and cheering the other side on. Regardless of what OTHER kids do, my kids will be encouraged to support their peers in whatever area they excel at. My DD is probably about as middle of the road as they come artistically, academically, physically, behaviorally so it's not like we're looking at many blue ribbons in her future. Which makes it doubly important to make sure she can learn to take pleasure in the achievements of her friends.

ETA - Apologies that that came out a bit more Sanctimummy then intended lol
    Last edited by zelda; 21-02-2017 at 13:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    At our school they have non swimmers events in the kids pool for those who can't swim 50m. They still get to earn points for their house, cheer on their friends, and just be a participant in general.
    Yes, so does my children's school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    OMG I just realised I wrote "I'm very acedemic" in my post (since corrected) 😳
    How embarrassing.
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1487653390.502736.jpg

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (21-02-2017),HillDweller  (21-02-2017),zelda  (21-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Attend - yes.I think its important to support fellow class mates.
    Participate - I'm in two minds about. I think when they are younger I will be 'making' them participate and I'm sure they will be keen to. As they get older, I'll encourage them to participate despite school level. For what its worth, I am extremely unathletic, slow and uncoordinated. I still participated, in some form. In high school it was helping with the marshalling or swimming/running with other people who were just doing it to also contribute to house points. I also feel its important for my kids to learn that its ok to not be good at everything, but the main thing is to have a go.

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Winner 2016 BubHubs DIVA Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We were always made to go to the day and encouraged to participate but it wasn't compulsory to participate.
    I see value in attending, supporting others and taking on other roles, if not competing. IMO that's more productive than sitting around at home.
    It also takes a lot to organise and manage days like that and I see it as supporting the broader school community.
    And less importantly, we both work full time. DS having a day off means us taking a day off too. And I'd prefer days off were for fun family stuff of our choosing rather than DS deciding he doesn't want to attend that day.
    hypothetical at this stage considering DS is 2.5!