+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Mirena?

Popping my head back in after a long break (I needed to get away from all the any talk making me clucky lol), just wanting to know others' experiences with the mirena.

Did it work for you? How did you go about getting one/who inserted it ie GP or a GYN? Any side effects? Anything else I should know, thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a negative experience but I think I have 'unusual' hormones, for want of a better word. I gave the mirena 6 months but was still bleeding on and off constantly (not heavily luckily) and it definately made me put on weight, and gave me other odd symptoms (pain in the general area). I went to a womens health centre to have it in and a gp took it out. It did hurt to have put in and taken out but I wouldnt let that put you off if you wanted it.

Then again, contraception is a very individual and some people have a great experience. You can only try, and if you have given it a decent shot and still decide you want it out, dont let your doctor persuade you to keep trying it (some will do that). It is your body and you know it the best.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DynamiteandaLazerBeam For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (19-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a great experience with mirena, inserted by GP, SD slight discomfort but it didn't hurt as such. No effect on mood or weight, and I didn't get a period which was another bonus. That said, everyone is different and i have known people to have negative experiences

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sabrew For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I unfortunately had to have it removed after 12 months due to extreme headaches that would come on a day before I would get AF. They were so bad I couldn't get out of bed. These headaches immediately disappeared after I had it removed. If I hadn't had been unlucky with that side effect then I would have loved it as I had very light periods, no weight gain or mood effects.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GingerKat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Positive exp here. Had one inserted when DS1 was 7 weeks old by my gyno/ob. No side affects at all. Had it removed by my gp not quite 5 years later. If you where to get one I would only recommend a gyno to do it though not a gp. It's also best to do after you've had a baby as your cervix is still soft. My gyno tried to put one in 8wks pp last year after my c-sec. there was no way I hell he could get that thing in without me being in extreme pain as my cervix wasn't soft from child birth. I had an implanon put in instead in my arm, no side affects from that either

9. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (20-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This came up in my mums group the other day and a heap of us knew someone with a "mirena baby". My god daughter is one .

I've also heard it having negative impacts on mental health. So please make sure you monitor your emotions carefully for change.

My sister had a heap of pain with her for months too after having it I steered

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I love mine. I've had it for 3 years. Put in by ob under GA. I never get a period and no other issues. Loosing weight is a little difficult, but that could also be all the chocolate bars.

I should add I don't really need it for contraception, as we have male factor issues and needed ivf. However my bleeding was unbearable and causing me some mental health issues. So for me it has been wonderful.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Mirena?

I got one just before Christmas when DS was about 10 weeks old. Slight discomfort on insertion - like a Pap smear but took a bit longer, no cramps after. Spotting every day for a month, nothing since, I don't expect AF any time soon as I don't usually get it while breastfeeding.
    2 months in so far so good. I got it inserted by a GP/OB so he knew what he was doing.
    I think it's less painful for women who have given birth vaginally as the cervix never fully goes back the way it was.
    ETA I probably don't need it for contraception (both my babies are ivf), but we don't want any surprise babies now we have our 2!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I've got one in, had it for nearly 4 years now. I love it, no side effects for me and after about a year no periods either, maybe just a smear of blood once a month where I use a panty liner. All positive for me.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post: