+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    hey girls what were side effects you noticed on this drug. i'm
    needing something to go on - not keen on prozac as it took away my sex drive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I'm on cymbalta for anxiety, so obviously a different drug. But generally they start you on a low dose for one month then move up if you need it. Zoloft does come in 25mg, but 50 is still a very common starting point (many move up to 100). I know this as DH was on zoloft for a while and started on 50. It did nothing for him though so he moved to another med.

So my long winded point is that 50 is a very common starting point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinachris View Post
    I was lucky and didn't get any side effects. The hardest thing was after two weeks the "ants in my pants" feeling - I was full of energy, for the first time in months, but had zero desire to do something about it. Dr warned me about it, lasted about a week and then the rest of me caught up to my energy level lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I was told this as well but still had the 'feeling worse before feeling better' happen and my anxiety was worse for almost two weeks I think and then it calmed down. I've been on 100 for about 6 months now and my anxiety and depression is heaps better.
    I also had the worse before better part. The dr warned me about that, and even with the warning it was still hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinachris View Post
    I had headaches, dizziness, nausea, teeth chattering, jaw clenching, vivid dreams as more short term side effects. They lasted about 4 weeks, which is longer than most people have the side effects for. My anxiety was also worse for a couple of weeks before settling. Longer term I had a dry mouth for ages, I also had no appetite. But I had no appetite anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the replies I checked with old doc it was 25mg

I'm finding it hard to start taking them this time. Worried about side effects if any and also worried if I start taking them now then when do I stop? I knew last time I was post natal so used Zoloft to ride that out but this time I guess I feel like there isn't really a "reason" it's just come from nowhere and worried I'll end up on them forever. But today has been hard. Difficult to focus , my thoughts racing, I can't really sit still, scared for future etc. Exercise didn't help. I'm a mess at the moment sorry for the rant.

Anyway, appreciate the replies made me feel less alone that others have troubles and hope all in need of help get there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by yadot View Post
    I'm finding it hard to start taking them this time. Worried about side effects if any and also worried if I start taking them now then when do I stop? I knew last time I was post natal so used Zoloft to ride that out but this time I guess I feel like there isn't really a "reason" it's just come from nowhere and worried I'll end up on them forever. But today has been hard. Difficult to focus , my thoughts racing, I can't really sit still, scared for future etc. Exercise didn't help. I'm a mess at the moment.
    I struggle with those thoughts when it comes to starting meds too. Can I ask the question someone asked me?
    So what? So what if there is no designated end point? So what if you need them long term? So what if there is no real reason? Does it really matter? Are you living your life at the moment? Are you able to be you? Do you want to live the way you're currently living? If meds help you to shed the anxiety, racing thoughts, jitters, fears, and let you live and be the best you can be, isn't it worth it? You stop taking them when you and your doctor feel you are stable enough to do so. Meds are a tool in your kit to help you get better. You don't necessarily need to stay on them forever. And even if you do, you know what, that's ok. Especially because then you can be yourself, not your anxiety.

Sending love and hugs. I hope you are able to sort through your feelings a bit xxx

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (20-02-2017),HollyGolightly81  (21-02-2017),JustJaq  (20-02-2017),yadot  (20-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Dancer View Post
    I struggle with those thoughts when it comes to starting meds too. Can I ask the question someone asked me?
    So what? So what if there is no designated end point? So what if you need them long term? So what if there is no real reason? Does it really matter? Are you living your life at the moment? Are you able to be you? Do you want to live the way you're currently living? If meds help you to shed the anxiety, racing thoughts, jitters, fears, and let you live and be the best you can be, isn't it worth it? You stop taking them when you and your doctor feel you are stable enough to do so. Meds are a tool in your kit to help you get better. You don't necessarily need to stay on them forever. And even if you do, you know what, that's ok. Especially because then you can be yourself, not your anxiety.

Sending love and hugs. I hope you are able to sort through your feelings a bit xxx
    So this! I've been on and off anxiety meds since my early twenties (turning 40 this year). I last went back on them five and a half years ago, 3 months after my Dad died suddenly. I'd been just managing - his death tipped me over the edge. I thought it would again be a stop gap. But here I am, still on them. I've accepted that they are a much needed part of my 'tool kit'. There's no reason to stop them. Maybe I will one day but I'm reasonably even on them, why would I pull that rug from under me? Accepting that has given me so much peace.

Big, big hugs xx

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teenie For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (21-02-2017),yadot  (20-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Dancer View Post

Just wanted to say this post really made me think. Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to me. And to everyone else who replied to. It's great not to feel so alone.

After reading this I started taking Zoloft and I'm focusing on feeling positive about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @yadot, I'm really glad that it helped. It made me think when they asked me the same question, too. I know with anxiety you can come up with a million reasons to not do something. But for some reason, the questions asked that way broke through a bit and changed the way I was thinking.

I've just been given a script for sertraline (which is the same thing) for PND. It's supposed to be a preventative measure, but I suspect that I am already headed there. The only reason I am still hesitating is because I have a 2 year old and an 8 day old.... and I know that the starting and stopping side effects will hit them too because they're both breastfed. And I am not at the point where they are needed yet. I'd prefer to see the psychologist and psychiatrist and see how we go.