+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Zoloft

I've had Anxiety all my life on and off. It was definitely worse after the births of my children and at one point I was on Zoloft on a low dose for 6 months which helped so much.

Lately 2.5 + years since my last birth and for no reason I can find the anxiety is back.

So I went to dr last week and she prescribed 50mg of Zoloft. I can remember gradually going on to the drug last time and I'm sure I was on lower dose 25mg. This was interstate, so dr wouldn't be able to check. Not that she asked, I got the impression she just wanted me to get out so she could clear her backlog of patients.

I told her I thought 50mg is too much. Especially to take straight away. She said it isn't too much and if I have any symptoms, which are common initially then to just work through them.

DH is away for 12+ hours a day and I don't have any help with my 3 kids. I want to feel better but I feel like if I get any nasty side effects from Zoloft then I definitely won't be able to just "work through" and I have school run, activities etc that rely on me being strong.

I can try and go and see another GP, but it's expensive and I don't know one who will definitely have some experience with mental health in this area. I am waiting to see a counsellor next week which I am feeling very hopeful about but she's a psychologist so I don't think she'll be able to advise on meds.

So I'm wondering if anyone has ever gradually started Zoloft?

I was thinking of taking a quarter of a tablet for a week and see how I get on? Then going to half a tablet? I'm sure 25 mg is what I was on before. I just don't want to get any worse and suffer from side effects.

I'm not sure what is best to do right now any advice would be great thank you
    Last edited by yadot; 19-02-2017 at 13:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just started taking Zoloft this week for PND and I was prescribed 50mg and my doc said take half a tablet for four days then take the full tablet for 7-10 days then she will reassess how I'm feeling. I have had no side effects so far doing it this way and I'm starting to feel a bit better already. I would maybe try doing it that way to get your body used to it. Good luck with it I hope you start feeling better soon

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mummamania86 For This Useful Post:

yadot  (19-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could you call your old GP's office and double check what you were in before?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

yadot  (19-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was put on Zoloft 12 months ago and it was a 4 week process to get to the 50mg dose. It went like this

Week 1 - 25mg every other day
    Week 2 - 25mg every day
    Week 3 - 25mg one day, 50 mg the next
    Week 4 - 50mg

If you start at the 50mg straight off you will have side effects and it won't be effective. It's also a six week process for your body to adjust to the medication, and doing the slow introduction helps reduce the shock to your system.

I would be seeking clarification - maybe just call and see if the doctor will call you back to confirm, or if the doctor will give the instructions to reception for them to tell you? But I wouldn't be starting straight on the 50mg.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pcos30 For This Useful Post:

yadot  (19-02-2017)

matalee is offline The greater the fight, the greater the victory
    Thanks
    Reviews
    If you're confident that you were on 25g then I would half the tablet.

I've been on Zoloft twice & the second time I went on it I mentioned that I didn't like the side effects going on them (dizzy & really fatigued all the time) she said to take them at night for the first four weeks. It helped so much doing it that way.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to matalee For This Useful Post:

yadot  (19-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pharmacist might be able to give you some good advice too?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I always wean onto anxiety meds. It isn't unsafe to do that generally.

From memory zoloft tablets have a little split in it so cut it in half for a week. You can continue at 25mg if you feel good on it. Otherwise step up to 50mg.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had some pretty strong side effects when I was on 25mg tablets too. I don't blame you for being hesitant. I was supposed to start them the day after bub was born but was already so woozy they've delayed it. I think I had something similar to @mummamania86's start.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The lowest strength zoloft comes in is 50mg. You could start with half a tablet initially and see how you find it. If you're tolerating the half tablet then increase to a full one. It can take a few weeks to see benefits

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mummamania86 View Post
    I just started taking Zoloft this week for PND and I was prescribed 50mg and my doc said take half a tablet for four days then take the full tablet for 7-10 days then she will reassess how I'm feeling. I have had no side effects so far doing it this way and I'm starting to feel a bit better already. I would maybe try doing it that way to get your body used to it. Good luck with it I hope you start feeling better soon
    I was told this as well but still had the 'feeling worse before feeling better' happen and my anxiety was worse for almost two weeks I think and then it calmed down. I've been on 100 for about 6 months now and my anxiety and depression is heaps better.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Tiny Dancer  (20-02-2017)