+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We've seen a developmental paediatrician who said nothing is wrong, it's all normal.

We've also seen the GP & child health nurse & had his hearing & vision checked.

He's a perfect angel for daycare & extended family, it's just us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had some success with taking the power struģle out of it. I will say do you want to go for a sleep before lunch or after lunch and my DD will usual make a choice. Then ill say awhen lunch is done ok sleep timey do you want to sleep in Mums room or your room? I findd if she feels she has control over the situation there is less resistance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The way he slept or didn't sleep as a baby was considered 'normal'??

Kids can often behave differently for others than at home.
    Just example my son was a perfect child at school. Did everything asked of him. No one would believe what we told them he was like at home. Not even the paediatrician could believe what we were saying he did at home.
    He has high anxiety and can act perfectly when he chooses to so that he gets no negative attention from others. When he's in his home environment he relaxes and then he would act out horribly.
    I don't really think that kids reserve all their awful behaviour for their parents if something is not bothering them.

If you had only had one professional opinion I would consider getting another.
    What you have described really sounds like there is an underlying cause.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS was not the best sleeper. He went through stages of refusing day sleeps.

Does he have all his teeth? If not, could be teething.

I found the more frustrated I got the more he fought.

I stopped saying 'naps'. Did not even put him to bed. We either went on the couch/big floor pillows and read a book or two, quiet movie/cartoon.

He did not *have* to sleep. He just needed to stop for a while.

DS does yoga at childcare. They akso have 'quiet thinking' time. So we used that at home.

Sometimes it worked. Sometimes it did not. But keep as calm as you can.

DS ended up napping most days. At almost 4 he rarely day naps now but we still have some 'quiet thinking time'.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (20-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Toddlers transition out of sleep...so your DS might not need a nap every day, but sounds like he still needs some naps, and quiet time.
    If he's an angel for daycare make those his napping days.
    On days at home...have quiet time. If he won't read, or play quietly for an hour, then watch a movie every day. Just give him something that will get him to rest. Alternatively, clear his room of everything dangerous, put a high baby gate on his room and put him in there for quiet play. You might need to remind him several hundred times that he can't come out during quiet time at first, but he'll learn.
    You and your DH need to find a way to cope. I'm not saying that to be harsh, but parenting is challenging, you both need to learn to manage your stress in a way that isn't you two screaming at each other. It's not good for your relationship or your son.
    If you and your DH can't cope with your son's behaviours then seek help. There are plenty of parenting courses around.
    Good luck.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

harvs  (23-02-2017),JR03  (19-02-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (20-02-2017),Redcorset  (23-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have tried a Parenting course, seen a paediatrician & seen a parenting support person through child health. None of it has worked so far, so now we are exploring our options as to where to go for further help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well it sounds like you've tried everything and he's just not going to nap. 🤔

So you need to learn to how manage his ratty behaviour until he's a bit older and adapted to the new routine.
    Especially as you've mentioned he's an angel at daycare.

If afternoons are his peak time for bad behaviour I would suggest a big lunch, (especially as he's too ratty for tea) then going out in the afternoon to the park or for a walk so you're not cooped up at home with a hyper child as it always seems so much worse.

A long bath in the late arvo/evening where he can play and unwind.

Also does he have an iPad or anything? That helps dd1 stay focused and calm when she's tired.

Thanks
    Reviews
    And wine for you in the evening might help

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Redcorset  (23-02-2017),Wise Enough  (21-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It sounds like you're on the ball. My oldest was a nightmare when tired until 5 years old...stopped napping at 2 1/2 and was impossible to put to sleep during the day. So, I get that it's difficult. We introduced a movie at that age...it was 1 1/2 hours of down time and I got ready for the evening in that time because it was hard to do anything but deal with the behaviour (it wasn't every day until 5...but every preschool afternoon, or if we had a late night the night before. A lot of dealing with the behaviour was keeping myself calm. I used to sing...loudly. But it would help drown out the tantrum and stopped me from getting too frustrated. I used to worry there was something wrong and had a few assessments. That child is now an early teenager...absolutely nothing wrong with them. Just a beautiful, determined, strong willed and motivated teen who is a delight 90% of the time. I had a midwife tell me once that really difficult toddlers make great teenagers...and even though I am sure there is no evidence to back it, it gave me hope in the early years, and as a bonus it's turned out to be true

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds like you've tried lots of different things and still having a rough time. As PP have said, try and manage the stress and change up your routine a bit to make it easier on you. I have found there is always another thing to try and eventually something will work. There are lots of websites with good tips on managing sleep and behaviour. Or give yourself a break from trying to work it all out and have a glass of wine to relax each evening/late arvo!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Redcorset For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (23-02-2017)