+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    He needs it. But I'm fighting him unsuccessfully for 2+ hours every time.

He generally doesn't sleep in the car. Surprisingly he did today, but that's not a habit I want to start as I don't really drive & hubby is only home on weekends to drive us, so the two days a week I'm off I would have a major problem if we started relying on car naps

He completely refuses to sleep in the pram

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default No longer napping - overtired behaviour

Quote Originally Posted by YeahYeahYeah View Post
    I think it's quite common for day naps to go pear at 2&1/2, most little ones I know went through it. But the absolute majority of us found they got back on track again. So my only advice is to persevere if you think he NEEDS it. My DD was not coping without it, much like your boy & it didn't help achieve an early bedtime.

Is the car an option?

My DD1 is past 3 now & still napping but if we don't have an active morning it's hard for her to be tired enough. Is it possible to wear him out?
    I find this too. Often dd1 has gone through phases of fighting it for a long time and I've given up but reintroduced it as it's obvious she still needed it, because behaviour wise she was a complete turd. She still naps now most days at 4 years old, yet there has been periods where I honestly thought the day nap was gone.

Give it a break for awhile and try again.

A gro clock is great- telling them they don't HAVE to nap but need to stay in bed until the sun comes up- she always fell asleep during this time.

I have also resorted to bribery to get her back in the habit of napping. "After your nap you can do/eat xyz, but only if you nap/stay in bed. ." "If you nap you can stay up later". Etc etc.

Good luck xxxx

Eta: I find she's ok if she skips a nap for a day she's fine, but if it's a couple of days in a row then she begins she argues or fights it. So I try to make sure she is worn out and we are vigilant to keep her in the habit of napping. She has learnt it's a not negotiable.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 19-02-2017 at 18:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If I give it a break for a while, how on earth do I cope with his behaviour?

I gave up on a nap on Friday & the afternoon involved me having to have numerous time outs in another room, him having constant tantrums, throwing his dinner everywhere & going to bed hungry, hitting, kicking, biting, headbutting, throwing things, scratching. I can't cope with that every day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allatsea View Post
    If I give it a break for a while, how on earth do I cope with his behaviour?

I gave up on a nap on Friday & the afternoon involved me having to have numerous time outs in another room, him having constant tantrums, throwing his dinner everywhere & going to bed hungry, hitting, kicking, biting, headbutting, throwing things, scratching. I can't cope with that every day.
    When I mean give it a break, just until you're mentally ready to fight the fight again

Seriously from your posts he's definitely not ready to drop it. Everyone said to me it would get easier after a couple of weeks and they adapt but dd1 never did, she was just awful, especially after 3pm.

Start again from tomorrow if you're ready. Expect some resistance. It may take an hour for him to drop but if he's not coping and you're not coping the fight and tears are worth it in the long run xxx

Need to be cruel to be kind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm fighting him for at least 2 hours every time though, he just won't give in

He has always been a child who got more & more & more hyped up the more overtired he gets, as opposed to just falling asleep after a while.

I don't know what to do anymore!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is it possible he's too overtired by the time you're putting him down for his nap and that's part of your battle? Perhaps try bringing it forward 15 mins / half an hour for a couple of days and see if that helps at all?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've tried putting him down earlier, it didn't help, he still fought it

He's always fought sleep. He wouldn't sleep at all for first 6 months of his life unless rocked & held for the entire sleep, including all night. It just about broke me. We ended up at sleep school, somehow avoided the psych ward, I think that would have been next if sleep school hadn't worked.

All the things we learnt there worked until we moved him out of his cot. Now it no longer works.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you taken all his toys out of his room? I'd remove anything that he can have fun with and make his room really boring. DD was difficult when she went to a bed too. Kept getting up multiple times. Nothing worked to make her stay in bed and I was sick of it, so I sat on the floor by her door and held it shut every time she tried to get out. I would go in and cuddle her after a few minutes and put her back to bed. She wasn't happy and we had some mega tantrums in her bedroom, but the first day was the worst, the second she only got up a couple of times and I think by day 4 she was staying in bed. I'm not a CIO fan, but she was nearly 3, clingy to me all day and had terrible behaviour. As much as she needed to nap, I needed the break for my sanity.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I've tried removing all toys & books. He starts jumping on & off the bed, running around the room, jumping on me if I'm sitting in there, kicking the walls etc.

He has a baby gate across the door so he can't get out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allatsea View Post
    We are doing quiet time for an hour in his room already & have moved his bedtime forward by half an hour. It hasn't helped.

I can literally count on one hand the amount of time he wasn't screaming about something today. I can't take much more screaming.

I wish we could put him back into the cot, but he was climbing out & we thought he might hurt himself. We tried him in it with the side off but it was no different to the toddler bed - he can get out & play, run around the room etc. Even with a baby gate across the door he won't sleep.

Night-time sleep is also becoming a problem

We always struggle with his behaviour, have done for 18 months now, but with no nap this is just impossible. I'm about at breaking point. Hubby & I are screaming at each other.
    Having kids somewhat like that I can empathise.
    It doesn't really sound like usual behaviour considering his past too.
    Have you seen a doctor about the way things affect him?
    He could have sensory issues etc??

My first was an absolute horrible sleeper. He was a lot like you describe your son. I had to hold him for day naps and he had to sleep with me at night. He has asd so therefor he has sensory issues. Thankfully around 18 months he started sleeping through the night.
    My kids all have special needs to some degree and I've had issues and still do have, with sleep.

It sounds like the change has thrown him right off which is why I think of sensory because they like things to be the usual way.
    Maybe an occupational therapist can help?
    It does seem like something that could need outside help?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

Redcorset  (23-02-2017)