+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default No longer napping - overtired behaviour

My 2 1/2 year old no longer has a day nap.

This started about a month ago when we moved him out of his cot into a toddler bed.

I fought the battle for a month but wasn't getting anywhere so I've now given up.

He obviously still needs a nap though & his behaviour reflects this & honestly I'm really struggling.

He's exceptionally strong willed anyway, combine this with being overtired & he's an absolute NIGHTMARE.

Today for example, we have had tantrums almost non-stop since we got up this morning. We have tried distracting him with all different activities, including cooking & trains. Hasn't worked. So far we have had a full tub of yoghurt thrown across the room, an attempt at throwing a stool across the room (I managed to grab it just in time), lots of hitting & screaming etc.

Neither of us know what to do with him anymore! Help!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    my DD also dropped her day nap when she moved from a cot to a bed. She was just over 2 y/o at the time. I ended up setting the portacot up in my bedroom and putting her in the portacot and we got another maybe 3 months of daytime naps out of her. Would something like that work?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It takes about a month but then they get used to it. Just hang in there and they learn to be awake for longer

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD dropped her nap around the same age, but her behavior wasn't an issue (thankfully). It sounds like your DS still needs a nap of some sort, so could you try a walk in the pram or a drive? Even just half an hour would help. Would he nap if you lay with him? I used to make DD have quiet time for an hour every afternoon to give us both some rest/time to recharge. She never went to sleep but she would lay down and chat to herself or play with her sleep teddies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He won't let me lie with him

He won't & never has slept in the car or pram

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My son was the same. His day naps disappeared and his sleep at night went to ship as well. We ended up moving him back into the cot and it helped at night but he didn't go back to having day naps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allatsea View Post
    He won't let me lie with him

He won't & never has slept in the car or pram
    Gah! Perhaps just a rest and/or watch a movie. And maybe an earlier bed time?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are doing quiet time for an hour in his room already & have moved his bedtime forward by half an hour. It hasn't helped.

I can literally count on one hand the amount of time he wasn't screaming about something today. I can't take much more screaming.

I wish we could put him back into the cot, but he was climbing out & we thought he might hurt himself. We tried him in it with the side off but it was no different to the toddler bed - he can get out & play, run around the room etc. Even with a baby gate across the door he won't sleep.

Night-time sleep is also becoming a problem

We always struggle with his behaviour, have done for 18 months now, but with no nap this is just impossible. I'm about at breaking point. Hubby & I are screaming at each other.
    Last edited by allatsea; 19-02-2017 at 17:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's quite common for day naps to go pear at 2&1/2, most little ones I know went through it. But the absolute majority of us found they got back on track again. So my only advice is to persevere if you think he NEEDS it. My DD was not coping without it, much like your boy & it didn't help achieve an early bedtime.

Is the car an option?

My DD1 is past 3 now & still napping but if we don't have an active morning it's hard for her to be tired enough. Is it possible to wear him out?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to YeahYeahYeah For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (19-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allatsea View Post
    We are doing quiet time for an hour in his room already & have moved his bedtime forward by half an hour. It hasn't helped.

I can literally count on one hand the amount of time he wasn't screaming about something today. I can't take much more screaming.

I wish we could put him back into the cot, but he was climbing out & we thought he might hurt himself. We tried him in it with the side off but it was no different to the toddler bed - he can get out & play, run around the room etc. Even with a baby gate across the door he won't sleep.

Night-time sleep is also becoming a problem

We always struggle with his behaviour, have done for 18 months now, but with no nap this is just impossible. I'm about at breaking point. Hubby & I are screaming at each other.
    I took my son out of the cot because he could climb out and he broke his arm at the park. I didn't want him to climb out and break his other arm. It helped when he went back in as even though he was climbing out, he wasn't ready to move.