+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How much leave should you take during ivf??

Hi all, just curious to know how much leave you all took off during ivf??
    I'm a childcare teacher so my job is full on trying to work out how much leave to take during ivf.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I took a day off for egg collection as it was a day surgery procedure under light anaesthetic. I developed OHSS so I ended up needing the following week off too. If that hadn't happened it would have just been one day off for egg collection then back to work.
    I also had a day off when I had a hysterosalpingogram.
    I had to have a couple of hours off in the morning when I had my frozen embryo transfer but then went straight back to work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It depends what time you start work in the morning. blood tests and scans are done before 8am at your clinic, most people just go before work. I took 2 days off for egg collection and the day of the transfer off. You could get away with just the morning off for transfer, but it's nice to put your feet up after.
    It's hard to organise time off as you don't know dates for the procedures until a few days before.
    My work is very difficult to take time off at short notice, so 1 cycle I took 2 weeks off from the start of my cycle. The other times I just had to line up cover for every possibility and call them in when I knew my dates. It sounds stressful, but wasn't that bad. It helped that I told my boss so he knew what to expect.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I took a day for egg pick up, in at 9am with dp doing his thing, 10am egg pick up home by 1230 as long as everything goes fine and a day for transfer. But for a transfer you really only need a couple of hours then you go back to work, as for bloods and scans my clinic opens at 7am so I would be always be there on the dot to be first in line. 5 mins for bloods, 15 min scans and I'd be at work but 8 at the latest meaning i would work back 30 mins as my start was 730. If I had to see my fs I would schedule during my lunch break to minimise the amount of time taken off or an after work appt or first thing at 830/9am meaning I'd push my work schedule back or get a sat appt.

My boss was an **** at first as egg pick up you can really only give a couple days notice but after 6 months of nearly 4 yrs of treatment they where fine with me saying I've got an appt etc

Driving to and from your clinic will take longer then your actual appt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I needed a few hours off in the morning a couple of times as the clinic was 2 hours away from work. Then about 4 days for egg pick up as I know I don't recover well. I have PCO so make a lot of eggs. I initially tried to work the day after EPU but my job is on my feet and I was in a lot of pain so ended up going home and not coming back for a couple of days. I have done 5 EPU and each time I've needed those few days. Though my sister was fine the next day so I think I'm in the minority

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me I took off 2 days for egg collection. All other scans and blood tests I did before work and transfer day I went into work afterwards and just took it easy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi GG..

I think you have to take day off for egg collection. ..as for me it was painful...and I just stayed in bed for a few days...maybe take 2 days leave.

Then for egg transfer...not painful but good idea to take that day off or 2 days too.

Butterfly

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all your replies really helpful thank you xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a child care worker, and I usually take two days for egg collection. The one time I took one day I was quite sore and wished I'd taken the two. At first I took one day for transfer, but I started taking two, partly as I had some cramping, partly just to relax as the job can be quite hectic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey skeeter, what was the outcome like for you?? Did you get your little miracle?? Yes childcare is quite hectic and physically draining on the body. No time for rest your on the go. Different if your sitting in an office u can hide behind your desk but in childcare it's non stop