+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Do not feel guilty! You have done an amazing job and it is YOUR body.

I went cold turkey with DD2 who was 19 months at the time. NEVER thought I would do something like that, but I was at my absolute wits end. She was the same, screaming, grabbing at me, tantrum mania. I had tried for months to reduce feeds but it did nothing. I read several articles that explained how cold turkey can actually be an easier approach for that age group - it's easier for them to understand something is totally gone rather than "you can have it now, but not in an hours time. But you can again an hour after that". It made sense to me, and the mental stress the feeding and tantrums were giving me was worth a drastic approach. It took me a while to work up the courage because I was so worried it would be traumatising for her!

In the end I didn't plan it, but one morning it was something like 7am and she was already begging for her 3rd feed. After she finished, I got up, changed into the one regular bra I had and was just DONE. The next time she asked for it I simply said "it's all gone". She cried and carried on but it was very clear that she was p!ssed off, not traumatised. She whinged for a couple of hours before we went for a drive for her to nap. When we got home she asked for milk, I said it was all gone, she said "uh oh all gone" and that was the last I heard of it. This is actually what happened!!!!! I could not believe it! She was the most CONSTANT feeder, it was so horribly draining. I'm not saying this would be the same for all kids but for her it just totally made sense when something was all gone.

To deal with drying up my milk, I took sage capsules and expressed a little bit in the shower to take the edge off. I had no issues at all, full boobs for a few days but no pain, back to relative normalcy within a week. That was after 3.5 years of full time bfing.

Good luck, I really know how awfully hard it is.
    Last edited by GreenMama; 20-02-2017 at 14:40.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (20-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMama View Post
    Do not feel guilty! You have done an amazing job and it is YOUR body.

I went cold turkey with DD2 who was 19 months at the time. NEVER thought I would do something like that, but I was at my absolute wits end. She was the same, screaming, grabbing at me, tantrum mania. I had tried for months to reduce feeds but it did nothing. I read several articles that explained how cold turkey can actually be an easier approach for that age group - it's easier for them to understand something is totally gone rather than "you can have it now, but not in an hours time. But you can again an hour after that". It made sense to me, and the mental stress the feeding and tantrums were giving me was worth a drastic approach. It took me a while to work up the courage because I was so worried it would be traumatising for her!

In the end I didn't plan it, but one morning it was something like 7am and she was already begging for her 3rd feed. After she finished, I got up, changed into the one regular bra I had and was just DONE. The next time she asked for it I simply said "it's all gone". She cried and carried on but it was very clear that she was p!ssed off, not traumatised. She whinged for a couple of hours before we went for a drive for her to nap. When we got home she asked for milk, I said it was all gone, she said "uh oh all gone" and that was the last I heard of it. This is actually what happened!!!!! I could not believe it! She was the most CONSTANT feeder, it was so horribly draining. I'm not saying this would be the same for all kids but for her it just totally made sense when something was all gone.

To deal with drying up my milk, I took sage capsules and expressed a little bit in the shower to take the edge off. I had no issues at all, full boobs for a few days but no pain, back to relative normalcy within a week. That was after 3.5 years of full time bfing.

Good luck, I really know how awfully hard it is.
    Your post gives me hope!!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

GreenMama  (21-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    3 days without a feed! She got upset a bit a couple of times but no tantrums

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl  (23-02-2017),GreenMama  (23-02-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (22-02-2017),LittleBug'sMum  (22-02-2017),twinklify  (22-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Weaning - help!!

How's things @babyno1onboard going?

Dd2's constant breastfeeding has me seriously considering weaning right now. 20+ feeds and it's 4pm and I don't know how much longer I can take it. It's only getting worse as she gets older.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    How's things @babyno1onboard going?

Dd2's constant breastfeeding has me seriously considering weaning right now. 20+ feeds and it's 4pm and I don't know how much longer I can take it. It's only getting worse as she gets older.
    Thanks for asking! She's hasn't tried to feed for about 2 weeks now and as of a couple of days ago my milk has dried up so I think we are well and truely done.

I'm sorry your having a rough time... how old is your DD2?
    My Dd did the same - BF a million times a day. It was so draining. I feel for you xx

9. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (14-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Glad it's all worked out!

Dd2 is almost 17 months. I weaned dd1 at 2 years and always aimed to do similar with dd2 but my patience is wearing thin- as I also have dd1 to deal with. They often fight too when dd2 is on the boob- dd1 will try and sit with us or cuddle me as she gets jealous (I tell her to give us space but honestly dd2 is on there all day so I get that dd1 is fed up) and dd2 starts kicking and scratching her. Fun times.