+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wa
    Posts
    823
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked
    1
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Carseat with no over tether strap

    I HATE my sons car seat so over it
    Before I go spending thousand of $$$$ im curious to know what everyone has.
    My current seat has the tether strap that runs along the side ☹️ It is so hard to get my son out and given he's only 4 mths old I can't even picture getting him out at 6 or 12 mths old.
    What seat does everyone else have? Is there such a seat that doesn't require the tether to run down the sides besides a capsule?
    Appreciate all the help and ideas.
    I have a compact car

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    318
    Thanks
    297
    Thanked
    158
    Reviews
    0
    All seats must have a tether strap if you are in Australia, it is a legal requirement that they are used. If you are having trouble with getti g your son in and out of the seat you should loosen and tighten the strap each time you put him in or out of his seat.

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1st timemama For This Useful Post:

    babyno1onboard  (18-02-2017),Ruby_Tuesday15  (19-02-2017),Wise Enough  (19-02-2017)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    18,351
    Thanks
    1,456
    Thanked
    7,967
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

    Default Carseat with no over tether strap

    Quote Originally Posted by 1st timemama View Post
    All seats must have a tether strap if you are in Australia, it is a legal requirement that they are used. If you are having trouble with getti g your son in and out of the seat you should loosen and tighten the strap each time you put him in or out of his seat.
    I don't think a tether strap is required on a seat but if it has a tether strap then it must be used.

    I use this car seat for my 6 year old when he is going in his uncle's car and it doesn't have a tether strap.

    https://www.bigw.com.au/product/infa...000000390146/#

    ETA - I realise my son is not a baby...

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    5,420
    Thanks
    1,030
    Thanked
    3,534
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I don't think a tether strap is required on a seat but if it has a tether strap then it must be used.

    I use this car seat for my 6 year old when he is going in his uncle's car and it doesn't have a tether strap.

    https://www.bigw.com.au/product/infa...000000390146/#

    ETA - I realise my son is not a baby...
    All rearfacing and forward facing seats have tether straps. Even the new isofix seats need to have a tether to comply with Aus standards. Some boosters do not though.

    http://www.kidsafe.com.au/crrecommendation6

    Some people loosen the tether before taking baby in and out. I don't because I am lazy lol. DD is 10 months now.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

    Wise Enough  (19-02-2017)

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    3,046
    Thanks
    3,950
    Thanked
    2,295
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi OP, i found that it got easier to get my DD in/out of her car seat as she got older as she had control of her body and wasn't a floppy baby anymore. Not sure if that makes sense! I got her head on the side of the car far too many times that I'd like to recall but after about 10 months that stopped as she would sort of climb in there herself when I lifted her up. And she's learnt to duck her head (sorry DD!).

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,135
    Thanks
    654
    Thanked
    1,267
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OP I remember that being such a pain too, I used to loosen the side tether every time when they were rear facing

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    4,485
    Thanks
    5,888
    Thanked
    4,689
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have the britax millennia seat. My dd is 19.5 months and still rear facing. The seat had the tether strap along the side. I just lift her over it to get in and out and it's not much of an issue. As pp said it does get easier as they get older as they know how to get in/out and their bodies are easier to work with if that makes sense!
    Can you loosen the tether strap to put bub in each time and just pull it tight when in? I don't bother but I know some people do it that way.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,230
    Thanks
    596
    Thanked
    667
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have the safe and sound platinum, if you have it on the left hand side of the car the tether release on that side is super easy to loosen/tighten each time. Unfortunately it's not a compact seat and takes up heaps of room (but not an issue if you only have 1 car seat). I used to struggle with my old x-trail it was so high to get baby in and out, but my new car is lower and fine. My son is also 4 months and I haven't had a problem so far, you just get used to loosening/tightening each time.
    Otherwise my sister had a turn a tot (I think that's what it's called), where the seat actually swivels to make it easier to get Bub in and out.
    Or (don't flame me for this please), stick it out for a couple more months and turn your sons car seat to forward facing as soon as he is 6 months. Then the tether is behind the seat so no issue. It's legal but not recommended.
    I'm pretty sure the tethers are compulsory in Australia.

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,123
    Thanks
    2,310
    Thanked
    2,916
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndchancesuprise View Post
    I HATE my sons car seat so over it
    Before I go spending thousand of $$$$ im curious to know what everyone has.
    My current seat has the tether strap that runs along the side ☹️ It is so hard to get my son out and given he's only 4 mths old I can't even picture getting him out at 6 or 12 mths old.
    What seat does everyone else have? Is there such a seat that doesn't require the tether to run down the sides besides a capsule?
    Appreciate all the help and ideas.
    I have a compact car
    Capsules require tethers the same as any other rf seat. I always loosen and tighten to make it easier.

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    4,485
    Thanks
    5,888
    Thanked
    4,689
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    I have the safe and sound platinum, if you have it on the left hand side of the car the tether release on that side is super easy to loosen/tighten each time. Unfortunately it's not a compact seat and takes up heaps of room (but not an issue if you only have 1 car seat). I used to struggle with my old x-trail it was so high to get baby in and out, but my new car is lower and fine. My son is also 4 months and I haven't had a problem so far, you just get used to loosening/tightening each time.
    Otherwise my sister had a turn a tot (I think that's what it's called), where the seat actually swivels to make it easier to get Bub in and out.
    Or (don't flame me for this please), stick it out for a couple more months and turn your sons car seat to forward facing as soon as he is 6 months. Then the tether is behind the seat so no issue. It's legal but not recommended.
    I'm pretty sure the tethers are compulsory in Australia.
    @rosey82 it's amazing we are all so different! I have an X-trail and the height is perfect for me getting dd in and out! A lower car would kill me as I'd have to bend (I'm reasonably tall) which is bad for my back (I have a back injury) whereas the trail is at the perfect waist height for me.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Booster seats/tether non tether/enlighten me?
    By BornToBe in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 29-09-2016, 11:21
  2. Baby loosening car seat strap
    By babyno1onboard in forum Product Recommendations & Questions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-03-2016, 10:51

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Maternity ClothesLooking to buy maternity clothes? :: Check the bubhub directory of local & online maternity clothes shops :: Find ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
Progesterone Advicepregnancy and babies through IVF
Melatonin?General Sleeping & Settling Chat
Delightful DecemberConception & Fertility General Chat
Buying Alcohol for Christmas dayGeneral Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
TTC and IUIConception & Fertility General Chat
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›