+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Microwave ovens + baby milk = unsafe? HELP!!!

Hello moms! My name is Laura Randall. I'm the mom of a little handsome man. I am currently writing my Master's Thesis about the use of microwave ovens for heating breast-milk, formula and porridge. I am trying to research on the current habits of heating baby-milk and, specifically, I want to know if microwave ovens are actually being used for this purpose. Many people doesn't want to admit that they use microwave to heat their babies' food/milk, as it isn't socially accepted (because we do not really know if microwaves are harmful), so I have developed a very short anonymous survey (it takes less than 30 seconds to answer), to get the real thoughts of parents. This is just a small part of my research, as I intend to analyze the effect of microwaves in baby-food at a molecular structure, but I need to get a realistic estimation of the usage of microwaves when heating baby food. It would be really helpful if you could answer it and/or share it with other mothers. Thank you very much in advance. Here is the link:

https://goo.gl/forms/xkHphzgQiZIxIWtp1

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Completed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's a bit difficult to respond as you've put breastmilk and formula together in the question but I heated them differently; breast milk in a water bath so as not to destroy the nutrients and with formula I would heat the water in the microwave, then add the powder. So I can't accurately respond in its current format.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Wise Enough  (19-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think it's a good idea. I occasionally heat milk real milk but have a 5 year old.

I think it's not safe...when our baby was little u just added hot water or heated bottle in water.

I have worked with people who have told me they have had children die in early 20s and think it's a result of years of heating food in microwaves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I have never heard of microwaved food being unsafe or 'socially unacceptable'... standing right next to a microwave (particularly and old one) while it's on I understand it's a great idea.
    I don't heat formula or breastmilk in the microwave but heat food and cows milk all the time.
    Last edited by babyno1onboard; 18-02-2017 at 06:38.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Wise Enough  (19-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Baby View Post
    I have worked with people who have told me they have had children die in early 20s and think it's a result of years of heating food in microwaves.
    Do they have any evidence of this?

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

Mama Mirabelle  (18-02-2017),Renn  (18-02-2017),TheGooch  (18-02-2017),yadot  (18-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    OP, where are you studying, and do you have ethics approval?

Thanks
    Reviews

My kids were bought up on microwaved formula bottles from birth ! I even sterilised their bottles etc in there. Plus I microwaved their food and even cooked in the microwave for them . They are adults aged 22 and 19 now. Alive and perfectly happy and healthy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Louise41 View Post
    My kids were bought up on microwaved formula bottles from birth ! I even sterilised their bottles etc in there. Plus I microwaved their food and even cooked in the microwave for them . They are adults aged 22 and 19 now. Alive and perfectly happy and healthy.
    Pretty sure LOTS of people still sterilize bottles in microwaves (myself included when my daughter was little, and I plan to for my next one). And the only reason I've heard of for not microwaving formula is that there could be "hot spots" which burn the baby, nothing to do with it making the formula unsafe!

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP; you may want to have a look over your survey. It's not very well designed. Almost all of the questions either do not allow for some possibilities (a mixture of approaches, for example) or combine what should be answers to separate questions.

"Light to heavy use" of a microwave is probably not a helpful question either, as you can't directly compare answer. Perhaps giving specifics ("more than once a day", "more than once a week@ etc.) would help.

Also, "your first or youngest child" is very confusing. It's asking you to give the age of either your youngest or oldest child... Again, makes it meaningless to group together respondents answers.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (18-02-2017)