+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Unhappy Travelling to kuala lumpur

Considering biting the bullet and travelling to Kuala Lumpur for ivf treatment since our access to donor eggs was halted in Australia.

Im a flipping nervous flyer considering these two airlines only Qantas and Jetstar.
    25mg of Valium keeps me semi calm for a one hour flight. I have never done anything more than a one hour flight. Only national.

Im freaking out with the thought of travelling 8 hrs.

Has as anyone experienced flying this long. What is it like. Tips to forget about the height and time. Can I Netflix on a flight. I like vampire diaries that might distract me.

I start bawling on stepping onto the plane and then again on take off.

Considering flying to darwin from sydney. Then Darwin to Kuala Lumpur. Or should I fly as direct as I can. I just don't know.

Mysticfalls

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello. :-)
    I recommend flying as direct as you can. Once on the plane - you're on the plane! Why do the getting on bit more than you have to?!
    Good luck! I hope it's the best trip ever with a bundle 9 months later xx

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamel For This Useful Post:

MysticFalls  (23-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Definitely fly direct. Get it done with in one go. I would suggest trying to get an overnight flight. Also try and get a script for some sleeping tablets (something that will knock you out for a bit). If your body clock is already in sleep mode and you then take sleeping tablets you might sleep for a good portion of the flight. I got sleeping tablets for a flight once. I can't remember what they were called, but I slept for 5 hours (I usually can't sleep in anything moving - car/bus/train/plane so that was a huge sleep for me). Hope this helps X

5. The Following User Says Thank You to teenie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    You've also got Malaysian direct from Syd to KL and air Asia have a direct flight to from Sydney.

I'd go direct that way your one flight you don't have to deal with getting off planes and getting back on again

Singapore airlines you'd have to stay there for about an hr.

Have a look at the Webjet app if you haven't got it and work out what you want ietc and it'll bring up all of your options then go from there. Pick your flights but then go to the airline of choice website and book it on there that way you don't pay Webjets booking fee

7. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to be a very nervous flyer, white knuckle grip on takeoff, couldn't eat or drink and far to scared to use the toilet.

Practice and need meant I had to get over it. I now fly interstate 6+ times a year and have flown to Europe 4 times in 4 years and I'm currently in the USA waiting to fly home today.

I would defiantly suggest a direct flight, the takeoff and landing is often when you will experience turbulence and once you settle in you can often forget where you are.

I would recommend downloading a fav few shows or movies as there is no internet onboard. All flights will have a good entertainment system, tv shows, doco's, movies.

An overnight flight is great get on eat dinner go to sleep. If you need 25mg of diazepam to chill out on a short flight maybe consider something stronger. Chat to your gp and make sure it is something that will continue to keep you sleepy not just put you to sleep. I know of someone who take small dose seroquel (25mg) for anxiety, it makes her drowsy for ages and is very effective. It is an antipsychotic (large dose) but can be used for anxiety in much smaller doses. Phenergan is good for feeling sleepy. Just test out anything new beforehand to avoid a reaction onboard.

A few calming techniques might be good, meditation, music....

Invest in some good noise cancelling headphones. Even the ones on business and first are crap. Blocking out a large amount of the aircraft noise is very helpful.

Lastly, if you can afford it book business or even premium economy seats. You will be more comfortable and sometimes that can help.

I know it's scary and I still can't fly in small (30 seat or less aircraft). Just keep your eye on the prize, it may help a little.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for replying. I have been trying to desensitise myself to take off and flight by watching youtube videos. And its starting to work, i no longer hold my arm chair or push back in the seat or hold my breath and mutter oh $hit.

I have an inner ear condition that makes me feel like im moving. If i sleep on a moving object that affects me for the next couple of days. I would like to be drowsy but not sleeping.

The only carriers i will accept is Qantas and Jetstar. Qantas fly to singapore and Jetstar Asia goes from singapore to KL. Is there a possiblity of taking a boat from singapore to KL? so i only have to do one flight.

I am ringing today to book in sessions for hypnosis, they are in sydney so I will need days away from family so that hubby can organise his schedule around me. hopefully it does work to some extent at least.

I also have to look at passports. Was looking up qantas website i had no idea what a boarding pass was, visas, quarantine etc. As i was reading it i kept asking hubby whats that for lol. He is a pro at travelling, he has been to UK, singapore, Fiji, etc etc. And then he marries me. Mrs to fly. He had plans to take me to paris. not going to happen.

I am also calling my clinic in sydney to see if they accept the created embies from over there in case the first one does not take. It will abide by all the laws here in NSW and I have found a cyrogenic shipper.

Will book in with the GP to discuss options of sedation if i need it.

Thank you
    Mysticfalls.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticFalls View Post
    Thank you for replying. I have been trying to desensitise myself to take off and flight by watching youtube videos. And its starting to work, i no longer hold my arm chair or push back in the seat or hold my breath and mutter oh $hit.

I have an inner ear condition that makes me feel like im moving. If i sleep on a moving object that affects me for the next couple of days. I would like to be drowsy but not sleeping.

The only carriers i will accept is Qantas and Jetstar. Qantas fly to singapore and Jetstar Asia goes from singapore to KL. Is there a possiblity of taking a boat from singapore to KL? so i only have to do one flight.

I am ringing today to book in sessions for hypnosis, they are in sydney so I will need days away from family so that hubby can organise his schedule around me. hopefully it does work to some extent at least.

I also have to look at passports. Was looking up qantas website i had no idea what a boarding pass was, visas, quarantine etc. As i was reading it i kept asking hubby whats that for lol. He is a pro at travelling, he has been to UK, singapore, Fiji, etc etc. And then he marries me. Mrs to fly. He had plans to take me to paris. not going to happen.

I am also calling my clinic in sydney to see if they accept the created embies from over there in case the first one does not take. It will abide by all the laws here in NSW and I have found a cyrogenic shipper.

Will book in with the GP to discuss options of sedation if i need it.

Thank you
    Mysticfalls.
    There is a train and many buses from Singapore to KL. Will take about 6 hrs on the bus. I do believe Jetatar fly to Singapore with many connections to kl. Given the choice.. I wouldn't be flying via Jetatar.. Cramped aircraft.. Singapore airlines would always be my pick. Flew to SA twice this year with them and flight was great!

Glad u r trying to get over your fear. I still think a psych will be able to help you.. Ask your gp for a referral to one so you can access 6 free visits via a mental health plan. Explain your anxiety.

How much is sperm shipping from Xytex? I paid approx $3000 us for 2 vials to SA.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kylie764 For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (23-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work for an airline and fly 5+ hours a few times a month.

What is it that freaks you out? Qantas does have a 'fear of flying' course if that would help.

Airlines like Qantas and Singapore, virgin will all give you a tv for u to watch (depending on the type of aircraft you may even get an iPad). You can also take your own and load it up with shows that you like to watch. Some airlines have started wifi onboard- not sure if either of these 2 have.

The best thing is just to relax, if u can afford to travel premium economy or business, that would also help you feel more comfortable.
    As someone else said, night time flights are good.

Drink lots of water and try to enjoy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey ,
    We just travelled on SCOOT (which is Singapore Airlines economy fleet) to Singapore and from there Vietnam and Cambodia. It was cheap and not too bad as far as an economy airline goes. Make sure you have a device with a good battery for tv and movies as their only options for this is unlimited ********* on your own device for about $10.
    On our way there we chose an evening flight thinking we would just sleep and on the way back a day flight. I preferred the day flight because you just can't get a good sleep. We had a good nap though. My daughters are 11 and 9 and coped with the 7.5 hours to Singapore. I am not all that comfortable with flying and at times I have to talk myself down from a bit of anxiety surrounding it but remember it's always worse in our over thinking minds
    Take a good book and look out the window. The Outback, clouds and islands you fly over are wonderful to see. I would fly direct unless you wanted to visit Darwin. Stopovers just add time and aren't all that fun.
    I would fly with them again. I think they fly to KL.

Last edited by AmbivertMumma; 06-06-2017 at 15:36.