+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Motherwillbe View Post
    I don't think the age of the male matters too much with fertility, it's the female fertility that drastically decreases with age.
    This is not actually true. Although men are usually physically able to father children at an older age than females, after 40 sperm volume, motility and quality decreases and the risk of genetic disorders increase.

OP, it might be a good idea for your DH to get his sperm checked to at least put that part of his mind at ease. If his swimmers aren't the best he'll be able to get started taking menevit to help with quantity and quality (although, if I were him I'd start taking the Menevit anyway).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your helpful advice and stories, I'll go and get menevit for him to start with and see how we go. I'll also talk to him about going to get his swimmers checked, I guess it wouldn't hurt and then we'll know for sure and can attempt to do something about it earlier on if need be seeing as he's older. What's a rough estimate of how much it costs?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I second menevit. DH was 43 when Ds2 was conceived and we had issues with male factor (poor motility). Menevit was the magic bullet, sperm take 3 months to mature so if he has poor motility or morphology, there will be a 3 month turn around for good sperm. I got pg at 2.5 months post intro of Menevit.

It's pricey but get the 3 month supply at Chemist Warehouse. I think it's just over $100, but way cheaper than buying per month.
    Last edited by delirium; 18-02-2017 at 19:58.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (18-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I second menevit. DH was 43 when Ds2 was conceived and we had issues with male factor (poor motility). Menevit was the magic bullet, sperm take 3 months to mature so if he has poor motility or morphology, there will be a 3 month turn around for good sperm. I got pg at 2.5 months post intro of Menevit.

It's pricey but get the 3 month supply at Chemist Warehouse. I think it's just over $100, but way cheaper than buying per month.
    Thank you for that hun, I'll get onto that asap. I've spoken to him about taking it and he's agreed so I'm goanna visit the chemist and get sone for him.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to thesherocker For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (20-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm another Menavit fan - hubby used it for our cycles too.

My DH is 53, I'm 42. We had to do IVF because he had a vasectomy in a previous relationship.

We did 4 own egg cycles but my eggs were cr@p, so we found an egg donor to help us. She gave us 20 eggs, 18 were mature, and thanks to hubby's TESA 15 fertilised.

There was obviously nothing wrong with his sperm despite the vasectomy, as we ended up with 6 frosties (5 'A' Grade and 1 'B' Grade) and an 'A' Grade fresh transfer, on which we fell pregnant. We are expecting our first child together in June.

I know that the male being older can theoretically cause issues, but when I queried my FS about it he was very reluctant to do much testing. Hubby had children previously so they pretty much decided that he was 'proven.' This was despite the last child being born over 15 years ago!

Anyway, despite some initial nervousness on DH's part (his concern was more about something going wrong during the pregnancy as we MC'd our first with my own eggs) we are both very much looking forward to having this baby I'm sure your DH will settle down in due course.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Blossom74 I forgot about menevit. Dp isn't older then me but younger by 6 yrs and he was on it aswell. Definately improved the little swimmers

9. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (19-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossom74 View Post
    I'm another Menavit fan - hubby used it for our cycles too.

My DH is 53, I'm 42. We had to do IVF because he had a vasectomy in a previous relationship.

We did 4 own egg cycles but my eggs were cr@p, so we found an egg donor to help us. She gave us 20 eggs, 18 were mature, and thanks to hubby's TESA 15 fertilised.

There was obviously nothing wrong with his sperm despite the vasectomy, as we ended up with 6 frosties (5 'A' Grade and 1 'B' Grade) and an 'A' Grade fresh transfer, on which we fell pregnant. We are expecting our first child together in June.

I know that the male being older can theoretically cause issues, but when I queried my FS about it he was very reluctant to do much testing. Hubby had children previously so they pretty much decided that he was 'proven.' This was despite the last child being born over 15 years ago!

Anyway, despite some initial nervousness on DH's part (his concern was more about something going wrong during the pregnancy as we MC'd our first with my own eggs) we are both very much looking forward to having this baby I'm sure your DH will settle down in due course.
    That's great news, thank you so much for sharing your story with me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My husband is 44 and we have an almost 1 year old.
    When he helps out, he manages just fine. Actually, he has never said that he doesn't do things because he feels old... he just doesn't do them.
    Getting better though.

As for the nappies, sleepless nights, etc... I did all that. Or am doing all that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dad was 49 when my littlest sister was born. He did all the sleepless nights with her and did most of the 'mum' parenting when she was little. It definitely can be done and age doesn't necessarily have to be a barrier to parenting if everyone is generally healthy (As much as they might try and get away with it lol)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My dad was 50 when i was born and my mum was 30. Can't say i had any issues as a child with having an older dad however my mum was the primary parent and did most of the child raising. A lot of people thought he was the grandfather and not my mums husband which was a bit awkward.