+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    LMS no judging here....was the only thing that worked for us and yes, three nights. Prior to that walking up and down for ages or hours in her room til she went to sleep...until 2am and it started again!
    Touch wood, now she's pretty good

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Molros For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (17-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't even remember how I got the bottles off of my kids because my last 3 didn't have them (first 3 did and that was why!)
    It can't have been easy?
    What I would do as mean as you might feel I think it would be the easiest for me, keep cutting that formula down til it tastes awful. He will carry on but then he is going to think the bottle is yuck. In theory anyway? Assuming he's not having it at any other time or has to? I think if you're ditching it at bed it would be best to ditch it for good. If you can't maybe now isn't the time to take it away? Can he have coloxyl or some extra fibre elsewhere to compensate?
    Anyway that got a bit distracted sorry.
    Point is I did manage to get the dummy off one of my daughters by giving her one she didn't like. She was 2 though. I've never actually weaned any of my kids off anything at one so can't say.
    Right now I have the same issue with my 2.5 yr old and breastfeeding. I'm too chicken to even try yet lol

All aside I think it will be a tough time seeing as he's so attached so whatever you choose go in strong and stick to it. You're a caring mum and he will get through breaking his habit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would do a combo of slight watering down, and having bottle next to bed eg standing up holding Bub or on change table, then teeth, then bed (you could even do teeth, bottle standing next to bed, then into bed first, then change it up). We had to swap the teeth then bottle to bottle then teeth for DS and he didn't mind, although he wasn't really using bottle as a strong sleep aid because he had it in our arms while we were standing next to the cot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would try switching to dairy and cutting daytime bottles and have one cup or bottle for bedtime. Only my experience, but formula could cause constipation. Mine all had a strong milk/ sleep association and its still in place for my 4.5yr old who has a small cup at bedtime. 1yr old is young and i personally would not feel the need to break that. Good luck with it.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl  (17-02-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (18-02-2017),Molros  (17-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh gosh how hard.

My DD2 & DS were both thoroughly addicted to their bottles to go to bed with, both wouldnt have dummies.

Luckily for me the milk wasnt causing them any issues so we just watered it down as they got older.
    Both kept their bottles for bedtime till 3.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl  (17-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise41 View Post
    How often does he nap during day?
    usually does a big nap in the mornings (2 hours) then another hour nap in the arvo. this is on home days, his naps at daycare vary

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    You could break the sleep association with controlled crying. Takes around 3 nights then it's completely forgotten....and they are fine.

Judge away ladies
    he gets sooo worked up though. like hysterical. I just can't do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    aaaaand he just woke up crying. dh just got him a bottle as we have to get up at stupid o'clock tomorrow morning for a 6am flight to Perth. definitely not breaking any sleep associations tonight

Thanks
    Reviews
    My baby drank milk till 4...loved it ...was thriving...it had a calming effect. Now 5 only drinks normal milk occasionally for afternoon tea as a milk shake. I wouldn't be concerned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe you can work on changing his milk to cows milk by reducing the formula?
    Maybe he would like the taste of powdered cows milk?
    I know it's not completely ideal but he is so young. They do tend to lessen with their securities as they get older and of course you can talk to them about it when they are.

If he's having too much milk in general, which would be pretty extreme at his age they are able to have quite a bit, maybe try cutting it at some other time?
    I've had constipated kids so I empathise there and dairy has been the issue. Yoghurt and cheese can affect them too.
    Regular cows milk is easier to digest than formula though so if it were me I'd be phasing the formula out.

I would not feel bad about his attachment to his bottle at this age myself. It's not wrong to 'give in' to them imo. That might be a whole other topic lol