+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Road safety

I'm really at my wits end! I'm petrified about what could happen!

How do you teach road safety to a 3 year old? DS is a runner. Always has been. He has his moments where he can be trusted and times I know just don't trust him.

In the last 2 weeks - DS has run straight out of the door of a cafe on to the road while I was distracted cleaning vomit. Luckily there wasn't any cars coming. I'd hate to think what could of happen. I'm still beating myself up about this.

And today.. my mum and her husband stopped in to say hi. DS always comes outside and stands near the garage door and waves with me as they leave. He does this at least once a week. Today was the time he decided he would take off. He ran straight out of our driveway and was running down the road. Luckily our street isn't busy.

Now the guilty feeling is so much worse. Of course df wasn't around both times and I can't shake this feeling of how terrible I'm doing at keeping him safe. That's a whole new thread!

Both times he's done this he has been laughing like crazy because we are chasing him. He obviously has absolutely no idea how dangerous this is.

Every time he crosses a road with us we hold hands, we looks both ways for cars and we listen. I am trying to get him to realise what he needs to do but it seems he gets in a zone and runs - not a care in the world where, as long as some one is following him.

Please help me work out how to teach him to be safe! I'm in tears at the thought of what could of happened and really questioning myself. What am I missing?! What can I do so he knows this isn't funny and it's very dangerous?!

I've tried talking with him but he looks straight through me and tries to walk away.

Thank you for getting this far x

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's probably too hard to teach a 3 year old about the true dangers of the road....I think it's something you could do closer to 4 years old. Does he go to daycare? Do they implement any safety programs there? My kids pre-school used to.
    However, if he loves being chased could you teach him a 'stop go' game? I taught all my kids to stop with a 'stop go' game, and if they were running towards the road and I yelled out 'STOP' they stopped dead in their tracks. You could practice this in your backyard, and then maybe practice it when your DH is home and your DH could monitor the road and you could play 'stop go' out the front and test his skills on stopping before he gets on to the road.
    It's difficult. I only had one real runner....who was more likely to do it at a road. I just had to take a pram with me everywherr and in they went before we got anywhere near a road. If going outside to say goodbye, I would have a firm grip on their hand.
    It's hard...but they do grow out of it. Hang in there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We did the stop game as well and it works well although DS isn't a runner.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    My 3yo ds is the same. He'll run off thinking it's a game. So frustrating! Often it means I'll have to insist on hand holding and he'll be in tears because he doesn't want to hold hands. He does understand the routine of looking for cars and waiting to cross the road but he definitely cannot be trusted. I think he too young atm though his 3yo cousin is great at road safety (he'll stop at the curb). My ds is very independent so likes to do things his own way and find things out for himself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Agree with the others.
    I also think maybe you will just have to be extra vigilant for now. 3 of my kids think it's hilarious to be chased so I feel your pain.
    My 2.5 year old is a runner but my 5 year old who knows better took off on me the other day because we were in our own street he thought he could run home.
    He happened to run across the road without looking just moments before a car left a house down our street so they really only just missed him. Likely they would have seen him but still! I haven't taken them walking on my own again because now I can't trust him. I was pushing my toddler in the pram or sometimes I have her in a plushie harness and let her walk so I couldn't go after him. Likely if I had he would have ran faster.

If your son thinks being chased is a game and he now knows it's getting a big response (as it would!) from you to run off, he might do it all the more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It depends on if he's just 3 or 3-nearly-4. At 3, DS was a runner, tantrums at not wanting to hold my hand when walking and mostly I would resort to the pram so I could just keep him contained. But when we did walk, I was consistent with hand holding (yes, even in the driveway saying goodbye), and making stopping at each curb a fun thing to do (eg. Singing go-go-go-aaaand-stop).

He's 3 and 8 months now and a completely different child when it comes to walking. I don't need to gold his hand on our country town footpaths, he stops at each curb and puts his hand up ready for me to hold and he listens/stops if I yell stop if a car is reversing or so on.

I'm not complacent with him, he's still a kid after all, without much fear. So I keep him close, but it's just impressive the change. His big sister was a runner but grew out of it younger, so by 3 DS was wearing me down on this whole issue!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (17-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haven't had a chance to reply but thank you everyone. This has been very helpful x

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hasselhoff For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (19-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I feel your pain - my DS was a runner.

We just had to resort to holding his hand whenever we were out and about and be vigilant about it. If we let our guard down even for a second he would take off. He thought it was hilarious and had no clue that he was putting himself in potential danger.

He is 6 now and he's grown out of it, though we are still very cautious near roads and in car parks etc. He is an explorer by nature and needs close supervision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 3 yr old was a runner. I've told her we need to be safe near the road, that cars are dangerous and will squash her. That she always needs to be holding a grown ups hand