+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Leave entitlements as australian public servant

Hi all, sorry if i am in the wrong thread. I recently joined the aps and have many questions about mat leave and how it affects other leaves, hoping to get some advice from other mums here who are in the same workforce.
    I could ask hr, but i already feel as though i am raising some eyebrows.
    Anyway, my question is i have heard half pay leave allows other entitlements such as sick/long service to continue to accumulate, therefore this is better option than getting full pay?
    Do i get time off to visit prenatal checkups? Is that off sick leave, or my annual leave, or a special type of leave?
    When am i suppose to advice my boss on my due date? Is there a rule enforced?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ok the amount of your mat leave will depend on your EA. I was able to take mine at half pay but only the first half counted as service eg took my 16 weeks mat leave entitlement as half pay for 32 weeks but only 16 weeks as service.

I told my manager as soon as I was safely out of first trimester. Any rule is likely to be in your agency's leave policy

I used my lunch breaks or flex time to attend appointments or just made up time - ie appointment at 9, get in at 10, work back to 6.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and it was my understanding that you have to be within the APS for 12 months to be eligible for their mat leave

Thanks
    Reviews

With my contract

I took A/L weekly
    L/S at half pay
    18 wks government after that

I told my big boss I was pregnant at 6wks as she knew we where ivf and about to start another round ( pregnant naturally though)

L/S and sick does not accumulate but A/L does

As for appts I scheduled all of mine for after work as I worked the same hours (7-30 to 3). So that it didn't interfere with work. Or you could start late finish late to make up the time or go unpaid for that time away or work extra as flex time

To get government ppl who also needs to meet the requirements such as 300 hours of work in the 10 months before your child's birth.

So you can't get a first job and be pregnant to be eligible

When to tell your boss your going on mat leave. For me I said around 16weeks a rough date and how long I wanted off but I had to give formal notice 8weeks before I left and in writing and re-write my work contract for when I go back (in June). I ended up with only 3 weeks notice to leave as my health was deteriorating quite fast and I couldn't walk anymore. So instead of finishing at 37 wks I finished at the end of 32wks and was in bed rest until I had my c-sec at 37wks
    Last edited by babybeeno1; 17-02-2017 at 12:30.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm currently on mat leave from an aps job and was able to take 14 weeks leave at 1/2 pay. I could have used annual leave and/or long service leave at half pay, but chose not to. For my appointments I either took flex or I took sick leave as we are able to use that for medical appointments.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thx

Thanks for all the quick and useful information.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you want to pm me specifics I'm happy to provide some advice - work in the aps in payroll/hr and can help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm in state gov and get 40 hours of prenatal leave for each pregnancy.