+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How do you pack up and move

Hi! Dh and I do not like where we live (have lived here all our lives), we live in a small regional town. We are looking at moving interstate.. maybe Brisbane. We have 4 DD 4, 2 and 9 month old twins. My parents just adore my daughters and my girls love them..Other than that there is nothing here for us.. we own our house (mortgage) and I'm still on mat leave.. but how do you do it? How do you pack and move towns.. what process did you take.. with jobs, housing etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Friends of mine have just done this. The mum just quit her job with notice, the rental lease agreement was up on their house so they just packed up and left the next day after it was up. They used a pod to pack their belongings into and store them for a month while they got settled. They drove from adl to Ipswich and had 2 weeks accomaotion at timeshare giving them time to find something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hubby and I moved three hours away from our home (rented), his family (Thank God!!!) and both of our jobs. We left primarily because he was employed by the family business, and we needed our own space as a newly married couple.

We job hunted for a year for hubby prior to the move. I work predominantly from home so my work was still secure. Once DH found a good job we secured a new rental in our chosen location, gave notice on our old rental (our contract had already expired), he quit his job (didn't that cause waves!) and we hired a massive truck to ship all our belongings in one go.

There were two or three trailer loads that followed shortly thereafter to get the shed stuff, and we did the final clean up of the rental then.

Best move we ever made!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We moved from Sydney to qld. We lived in the same town our whole lives and wanted to experience something new so we up and sold the house. No family or friends here but we have made new friends.The kids adjusted really well and now we will never go back. Best thing we ever did.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bubbasmum For This Useful Post:

rosewater  (16-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have packed up and moved several times...from Perth to NW WA to Cairns to the NT and back to Perth....mostly following work/new jobs. I think obviously having employment followed by housing is most important. Just a 6mth rental to get you started, until you get to know the place. Do some research before you go, ask on forums 😉, and do a town visit for a couple nights if possible.
    Moving is pretty expensive if you are planning on raking all your furniture. We tended to have massive clearing out garage sales and getting rid of most things, just taking big ticket items (why my kids never stayed in the cot long! We sold the cot each time we moved!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're the same OP, the only thing keeping us here is my parents. DS loves his grandma and I'd hate to take him away from her but we'd be in such a better financial position if we moved away from the city, we're not overly social and he hasn't started school yet so friends aren't an issue... following this thread for inspiration

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's..Such a hard decision whether to take the plunge or not isn't it @ButterflyMa