ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Baby signing Auslan

I know very basic Auslan as I have a Deaf student in my class. He has an interpreter but I like to communicate with him as well. Soon I'll be on mat leave and I want to use sign language with my baby, I know many people do it.

I'm curious what are the helpful signs to use with babies/young children. I was thinking:
    - yes
    - no
    - please
    - thank you
    - more
    - hello/good bye

Please share your experiences with baby signing

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Yogis Mumma For This Useful Post:

Shamy1  (15-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a baby signing book. I've read it but will start putting it into practice in a few months time.

Mostly the above signs, plus the signs for dog, duck etc for our pets

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HillDweller For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma  (15-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We just used the Auslan sign bank for anything the kids needed to communicate:

Food
    Water
    Milk
    More
    All done
    Finished
    Please
    Thankyou
    Help

I can't think of any others at the moment, but you'll figure it as you go what signs will be useful

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Mason98  (15-02-2017),Yogis Mumma  (15-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Mason98 might have something to contribute?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    @Mason98 might have something to contribute?
    Depends on the age of the baby, I've taught my son basics like yes and no which originally was waving his arm up and down for yes or side to side for no, as time has gone on I started teaching him the sign for toilet when he gets nappy changes or I sit him on the potty.
    Don't make it complex just key signs so they can communicate a point, such as now when my son is hungry he makes the sign for food, I am trying to get him to say 'food' now at the same time but that's a work in progress.
    All the signs I would cover have already been mentioned though I would work on key signs right now rather than manners, that can be taught later so drop the please, thank you etc till later.

My spoken english is much less than perfect, and I still prefer to use Auslan with anyone that is conversant in it, using it with babies is an excellent tool, allowing them to communicate ages before they have speech.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mason98 For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (16-02-2017),JustJaq  (15-02-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (15-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Mason98 THANK YOU!! I definitely look forward to using Auslan to communicate with my bub before speech begins!!

Would you recommend using basic signs with a newborn or wait a few months (obviously I know it will take time for bub to start trying to sign)

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Milk, more, eat, toilet etc plus any other ones that are relevant or go with nursery rhymes such as cat, dog, star, egg, animals, colours, weather, outdoors (beach, playground, shops).

Eta. Help, nappy and finished are great too as a pp said.

I would start now. Get into a habit of doing it just as part of your life...whenever you speak sign the key words and your baby will quickly start picking them up from 6 months. They often get the signs "wrong" at the start so keep an eye out for anything that looks like a gesture. For eg they might sign duck away from their body rather than close to their mouth iykwim.
    Last edited by AdornedWithCats; 15-02-2017 at 19:02.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thinking about it, it might depend how fluent you are too.

My cousin and her husband are both profoundly Deaf. Their daughter is not. From about 18 months she was signing simple sentences, as well as tracking well with spoken language. I'm assuming that they signed everything as well as using spoken English with her, but I don't know for sure as I haven't discussed it with them.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Mason98  (15-02-2017),Yogis Mumma  (15-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are courses that teach parents and babies sign language. In Perth its Signing Hands.
    Very helpful pre speech and my 2 yr old has only just stopped using signs for the words he learnt.

There are also baby signing apps that can teach you the signs for helpful things. Auslan Tutor is a good one.

Milk, (squeeze hand like milking a cow - baby open closes hand)
    More (semi closed hand pulling from the chest - baby taps chest)
    Finished. (Thumbs up waved from side to side - baby waves hand from side to side) All very simple signs that can communicate

Ill definitely be doing it again with baby #2

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Wishnhope For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogis Mumma View Post
    @Mason98 THANK YOU!! I definitely look forward to using Auslan to communicate with my bub before speech begins!!

Would you recommend using basic signs with a newborn or wait a few months (obviously I know it will take time for bub to start trying to sign)
    Do it from day one, with every action, such as feeding I add a sign with the word so he associates the sign with an action.
    His sign now is good, though he is not at the point of signing a sentence, but I am slowly working on that with him.
    He is able to tell me what he needs/wants from food, toilet if he wants to be changed though he is getting better at knowing when something is about to happen at times I can get him there before it does, he can sign water food, also milk depending on what he wants.
    He can also sign cuddle if that's what he wants and love for now means I love you but I am working on that so he says I love you instead of just love you.

I don't think you need courses to become good at signing you just need to attach a sign to an action and say the word with it, that's all I have done and it has worked well with my son.

On the other hand if you have a deaf child, my parents taught me by presenting the item and a sign with it.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mason98 For This Useful Post: