+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default News: midwife shared confidential details about a patient.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/midwife-at-womens-and-childrens-hospital-sacked-for-alerting-estranged-father-to-birth-of-child/news-story/0fc38091a4405ee00b02504408a5cc19

ETA: another link, in case the first didnt work:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/www.9news.com.au/amp/national/2017/02/13/12/37/midwife-sacked-for-alerting-father-of-his-childs-birth

Summary: An Adelaide midwife was dismissed from her job after a woman gave birth, & the midwife (who knew the baby's father privately) told the father vis facebook messenger about the birth & it's details. The father was no longer in a relationship with the mother, & it was reported the mother didnt tell him yet because he had been agressive in the past, and she was fearful for the safety of herself and her baby.

😡 My opinion? Not only is this midwife terribly in the wrong for disclosing private information about a patient, but also disgusting is that the story reports that she received numerous references from colleagues and doctors who worked with her, defending her in her appeal against her sacking. How is this ok? Clearly there are plenty of staff at this hospital who think it is OK to disclose private patient information to a third party without the patients permission. How can you trust care providers like this? Furthermore - the father is reported as being aggressive - with something like one woman per week being killed due to DV, the reprocussions of what this midwife did could have been fatal - for the mum, AND thr baby. And yet many people are coming out and defending her actions. Not ok on any level, IMO!
    Last edited by cheeeeesecake; 15-02-2017 at 10:19.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

mckel  (15-02-2017),TheGooch  (15-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Completely agree - what she did was wrong but to have so many colleagues come forward to defend her makes it worse.

My only hope is that they defended her character not her actions. As in , it is recognised as a terrible lapse in judgement but all in all she is a good character IYKWIM?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Totally agree OP.

She not only broke the code of conduct, she potentially put this mother and baby in danger. She had no business disclosing the details and she should have known better.

Just because she was well liked by her colleagues, it doesn't make what she did any more excusable.

In a small way I feel sorry for her for being so completely idiotic and throwing her career away. But rules are rules, and if you break them, you pay the price.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (15-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Currently (as in its open right in front of me and I'm procrastinating) studying privacy and confidentiality in my medical field uni course. She would have read all this same stuff, as well as those defending her. It's pretty damn clear that it's most certainly not okay. It's mentioned that many times FOR A REASON!!

When I gave birth to my oldest, I had a fake name on the board etc as my ex was abusive and had been known to stalk to me into the hospital. If one of those midwives had have known him and texted him when the baby came, there would be no stopping me at going after their job. What a disgusting abuse of trust.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    As someone who is often in this position myself, I am appalled that this Midwife took it upon herself to announce to this FOB about the birth of his child. If I recognise someone's name through the course of my work, I keep it to myself. I don't even tell the patient involved that I knew they'd had their baby etc. It's not my place. There have even been times where DH has told me that XYZ person has been in my hospital having had a baby. Usually I knew about it a day or so earlier (if I've been at work that is), but again it's not my place.

Yes, we are all human and we do make mistakes but in this situation it could have a detrimental affect on this mother and her child/ren.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MLadyEm For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (15-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sil had something similar happen to her....her mil recommend an ob and my sil started seeing him, at every appointment the mil would show up even though sil had not told her when any of her appointments where. Before her planned c section sil and bil had told her that they didn't want any visitors for 48 hours as sil had recently lost her mother and they wanted it just to be them. A few hours after baby is born in walks mil straight to the crib and picks up the baby, turns out one of the ob's nurses took a photo during the c section and sent it to her and this is how she found out. Absolutely disgraceful!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahjane914 View Post
    My sil had something similar happen to her....her mil recommend an ob and my sil started seeing him, at every appointment the mil would show up even though sil had not told her when any of her appointments where. Before her planned c section sil and bil had told her that they didn't want any visitors for 48 hours as sil had recently lost her mother and they wanted it just to be them. A few hours after baby is born in walks mil straight to the crib and picks up the baby, turns out one of the ob's nurses took a photo during the c section and sent it to her and this is how she found out. Absolutely disgraceful!!
    Omg that is disgraceful. If that were me I wouldn't stop complaining until she was sacked. How dare she take a photo during a c section of a baby and send it on. What a fool!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahjane914 View Post
    Whoa I would be beyond ropable of that we're me. Not only to pass on information of the babies birth but to take a photo

Seriously I would take legal action against the nurse and the OB TBH.

Also the MIL to just arrive after being asked not to come... Ick wrong on so many levels...

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sil never put in a complaint as she felt like she had too much to deal with. She continues to have major boundary issues with the in laws. If it had been me I would have been complaining!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sarahjane914 For This Useful Post:

mckel  (15-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default News: midwife shared confidential details about a patient.

A similar thing happened to me.

SIL's cousin was a midwife when I gave birth. (DHs side of family)

My MIL & co are very full on and we just wanted some time with bub to ourselves. So we waited a day to tell MIL. When DH called her she hung up on him and didn't come to the hospital to see the baby. She also didn't speak to us for two weeks or meet her grandchild. Yeah, she's a self absorbed, nasty drama queen.

When she started speaking to DH again she said we took too long to tell her about the baby. Wtf.

Pretty obvious it was sil's cousin (midwife) who told her I'd given birth
    Last edited by yadot; 15-02-2017 at 18:01.