+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Recommendations for a new washing machine pretty please!

Do you have top or front loader?
    What size?
    What brand?
    How long have you had it?
    What do you like / dislike about it?

Im so completely overwhelmed and confused and the choices on the market! TIA

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Winner 2016 BubHubs DIVA Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We have an 9kg AEG front loader that we've had since August last year. So far so good. I'm happy with performance and I find it has the options I use regularly.
    The only thing I'm unhappy with is the hanging out or folding that has to be done after the washing is finished!
    My last front loader was a Bosch and it was fine for about 5 years except the mould that grew around the front seals. Nothing would get it off. No amount of leaving the door open after a wash was finished would stop it coming back. Reviews of that model online ALL said the same thing.
    The choice is hard. Research is hard because I found more often than not, online reviews were written by unhappy people so it was hard to work out if everyone was unhappy or just the 10 people who took the time to leave a review.
    I've had too loaders in the past and I prefer front loaders. I can't even really remember why!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (14-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep the more i read the more confused i get. Our current machine is a 13 yr old 5.5kg Simpson top loader. Repaired once about 10 years ago and still going strong but starting to rust in spots lol and i want something a bit bigger for doonas etc.

I like the idea of the new HE top loaders but i just dont know. Will probably go instore tomorrow and get even more confused lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a 5kg Simpson front loader that was 12-13 years old that kept going but I got sick of it being too small and having to do so many loads!
    We upgraded to a LG 10kg front loader last year and wow. It is so quiet. Even spinning at 1400rpm you can barely hear it. It also has a silent wash option! It's so big I can do king size sheet set, king size quilt cover, set of towels AND a full load of clothes all at once. It's just a pain in the butt hanging so much out at once
    I have no complaints I'm really happy with the LG. I prefer front loaders they have a very gentle washing action, I don't have to lift clothes out I just pull them straight into the basket and they use hardly any water.
    If you use hot washes often it's probably best to get a washer with hot and cold tap hoses. Lots of new washing machines only have a cold tap hose which means the machine has to heat the water from cold. If you have a hot tap hose then it can draw hot water directly in which might be cheaper than having the machine heating from cold.
    Check the cycle lengths. Some new washing machines have ridiculously long cycle times. My mum has an Electrolux and it take 2.5hrs to do a wash my LG has 30 minute and 60 minute options and for the other cycles weighs the load to determine the length and tells you on the screen so you can change it if needed.
    Good luck I found it really hard to choose but very happy with my choice!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have an asko 8kg front loader. Purchased 18months ago for around $1600 i think plus extended warranty. Can't fault it at all. My mum has the newer model to mine and had an asko before that for about 15yrs until my older sister broke the door.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a 15 kg washer / dryer combo (I think it's LG?). It's awful. The dryer cycle takes ages and is sooo inefficient. The wash cycle also takes forever - a standard cold wash is 3.5 hr. The machine looks pretty though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ...I have had 2 fisher price 7kg and 8kg washing machines in last 10 years..for 2 different properties.

They are good but rougher on cloths. Also you have to change the middle turning thing...wings snap.

Now I have a new machine 7kg Samsung for our holiday home with nothing in middle have had it over a year and love it and recommend it.

Easy to clean pretty and easy to use and has nice ice cream tune when done.

Hope this helps.

I also have fisher and Pyle dryer also good 5kg.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We just replaced our fisher and pykel. It died after less tgan 3 years.
    I say stear clear of those.
    We got a 10kg samsung and absolutely love it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We bought a 7kg Electrolux front loader late last year. It's a good size for our family (2 adults, 2 kids) as I wash regularly and our doonas are only light, but we're pushing for size if there's a bit of washing to catch up on.

I find front loaders more gentle on clothes (even compared to a top loader without an agitator) and they clean better.

Ours is great. It has a good selection of wash cycles, including an 18 minute quick wash and 2 refresh cycles that I use for delicates, denim, suits, leather and things that are effort to iron (things come out crease free). It's like dry cleaning without the chemicals.
    The standard cycle that I use is 1h40m.

ETA before that, we had 2 Samsung front loaders and, after the issues we had with the machines and the drama with customer service, there is no way I would go near another Samsung machine again.
    Last edited by atomicmama; 15-02-2017 at 09:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a new Fisher and Paykel 8.5kg front loader, I can never hear it running even when I'm right next to it (since I use cochlear implants though that may not be a fair review) the results are always good and I never end up with lint all over everything.