ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wouldn't go!

The thought of gastro, at sea, with a toddler strikes fear into my heart. If I did go, I'd be constantly panicking about everything I touched, I wouldn't enjoy myself.

I'd let go of the money and book a last minute Coastal beach house close to home for a week (if that's an option).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I wouldn't go. It would be such a challenge to avoid contamination that I know I couldn't relax and enjoy it. What a bugger.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't go with a 15 month old. With a 3-4 year old I'd risk it but not a younger child. Aside from the medical risks, dealing with a sick baby or being sick and looking after a healthy baby or being sick and looking after a sick baby is hell. Been there done that and yeah it was horrid. And I was at home with my cupboard full of clean clothes, towels and sheets and a washing machine. And had friends to call to help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Elijahs Mum has made a very good point. It's a very small % of people that get sick and it can also come down to personal hygiene on the ships aswell. I'd stay away from the buffet, only use your own toilet and not the public ones. Take bleach wipes to clean down surfaces. My folks are going on that ship in April for 20nights with a cruise up to Papua New Guinea and it doesn't worry them about norovirus. They will pack medications as an incase though

But In the end it will be your choice with what you choose to do. Go risk and enjoy or pay the $750 excess if you choose to not go but make sure you read the fine print very closely to see if it allows you to cancel for no reason

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (15-02-2017),mummyrissa  (02-01-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is no way I'd be going, but I have alot of anxiety about gastro viruses. We've had it too many times in this household and managing sick kids while you're sick as well is just awful. Being away from home at the time would just make it so much worse!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Wwyd - gastro outbreak on the cruise we are about to go on

I'm going against the majority here.

$750 is a LOT of money to throw away, plus the opportunity to holiday with family, for something that might not even happen. It could be gastro free. Or only affect a small number of passengers.

You could pick up gastro going to the supermarket.

I'd be willing to take that gamble.

ETA: and as pp said I'd be checking the fine print if you choose to cancel- scared of getting gastro wouldn't be a valid reason in my books as there's a risk with all cruises in general
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 15-02-2017 at 13:25.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

babybeeno1  (15-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I'm going against the majority here.

$750 is a LOT of money to throw away, plus the opportunity to holiday with family, for something that might not even happen. It could be gastro free. Or only affect a small number of passengers.

You could pick up gastro going to the supermarket.

I'd be willing to take that gamble.

ETA: and as pp said I'd be checking the fine print if you choose to cancel- scared of getting gastro wouldn't be a valid reason in my books as there's a risk with all cruises in general
    I agree with this. I know it's a risk but $750 is a lot of money to give up because something might happen,

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My whole family dropped like flies with norovirus about 3 years ago.
    I would pay $750 not to have got that.
    Luckily my toddler at the time didn't get it. I think this is because he was breastfed.
    Wiping everything down and possibly contracting something that makes you feel as if you're dying doesn't sound like a holiday to me.
    Think bad flu plus the runs and vomiting severely.
    It can go through the aircon so if someone sneezes or spews it can travel. It's a bad bad thing

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have decided to go, I have never had gastro, never vomited only once when pregnant. So you guys saying how horrible it is does make me extremely concerned. l have become an expert in norovirus and have bought so much bleach products, bringing own pillows, and towels, using paper towels hafter washing our hands. No buffet damit! Hannah is still breastfed and has taken a probiotic since she started solds at 6 months so hoping that helps.

Oh well it will either be a great family holiday or a floating nightmare. I will let you know how we go thanks ladies

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CharlieDE For This Useful Post:

Californication  (15-02-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (15-02-2017),rosey82  (15-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Wwyd - gastro outbreak on the cruise we are about to go on

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDE View Post
    We have decided to go, I have never had gastro, never vomited only once when pregnant. So you guys saying how horrible it is does make me extremely concerned. l have become an expert in norovirus and have bought so much bleach products, bringing own pillows, and towels, using paper towels hafter washing our hands. No buffet damit! Hannah is still breastfed and has taken a probiotic since she started solds at 6 months so hoping that helps.

Oh well it will either be a great family holiday or a floating nightmare. I will let you know how we go thanks ladies
    That's good she's still breastfed.
    Touch wood we've had gastro here twice in 4 years, neither dd1 or dd2 got it as were breastfed

Hope you have a great time