ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bezzy View Post
    I've been on a cruise which had a norovirus outbreak but none of us got sick in my family or my cousins family who were travelling with us. Luckily cousin had packed a can of glen20 and we had sanitiser on our lanyard. When there is virus outbreak the wait staff serve at he buffets so at least you won't be touching tongs. Lift buttons, stair hand rails may be a risk. Take as much medicine as you can with you.
    Unfortunately glen 20 is alcohol based, so is hand sanitiser, which are not effective against norovirus. The only thing to kill it is vigorous hand washing with soap & water or bleach.
    Good to know the staff serve at buffets when there's an outbreak though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I wouldnt go... Not because I'd be worried for my kid, but because I'd be worried for me!!

My kids get out of a gastro within 24hrs. Whereas if we pick it up from them we're sick for close to a week.

I would cancel

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wouldn't go. No way in hell.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No way in hell- I just had norovirus 3 weeks ago as did DH and the 15mth old. It was honestly horrendous, the worst sickness I've ever felt. And I have irritable bowels so I quite often have upset guts. I cannot explain how much I would pay to not ever get that again. We were told there has been an outbreak due to a ship coming in to port here (we had stools tested and confirmed norovirus).

Pay the $750!! Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Wwyd - gastro outbreak on the cruise we are about to go on

How big is the ship? If it's affected 200 passengers, is that the minority?? We have family that take regular cruises, and from what they have said, there is always gastro on a ship. They've never caught it, but I don't think they've had a cruise without an outbreak!

I think for me it would depend on the percentage. If the ship holds 2000 people, then 200 being sick this trip is pretty low. If it only holds 500, then the odds aren't as good.

If you do decide to go, take as much hydrolite powder/tablets as you can carry! Plus panadol etc. you could also get some immunity boosters for yourself and Bub. I use the inner health plus kids immunity powder for my kids and it does help. DS was always getting colds, but now not so much. They also have a tablet for adults. I'm not sure how effective it would be against gastro, but it can't hurt!
    Last edited by Californication; 15-02-2017 at 16:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The four of us had norovirus just before Christmas (ds1 caught it from his nursery school, I followed a few hours later and ds2, 6 months at the time, caught it about an hour after me, then DH caught it two days later). Ds2 had the mildest case, I assume because he was breastfeeding, but the rest of us really got knocked around. It only lasted about 24 hours total for vomiting and fever but we were violently ill and then just felt weak for about a week. I would be tempted not to go but californication makes a good point above about the size of the ship.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldn't be going anywhere near that outbreak. It's not worth the risk to me.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

Ruby_Tuesday15  (16-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't go.

Even if you go and you don't end up catching it the thought of catching something will be on your mind the whole time.

Will you be able to relax and enjoy yourself?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldn't go either. Whenever we've had gastro the kids don't always make it to a bowl, or the toilet. I'm always putting a load of washing on every hour it seems. I can't think of anything worse than being stuck on a cruise ship with gastro, with kids who also have it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to just her chameleon For This Useful Post:

rosey82  (15-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We went on the one last year (royal Caribbean) that was on the news with all the sick people getting off the boat! It was our first time cruising and I'm not a cruise fan but I will say the ship was very clean , they always had cleaners out , the bathrooms and deck smelled like bleach and we never had a problem or heard of anyone being sick but honestly there is something like over 2000 people on the boat so less than a 10% chance of getting it, especially if you are being extra cautious - I avoid any kind of Buffett and spa on dry land so I would advise you to skip those if your worried but just be over the top with hand washing and start taking pro biotics and vitamin c now to build up everyones immune system