+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Wwyd - gastro outbreak on the cruise we are about to go on

We are going on a 10 day cruise on the 16th February. It's on the sun princess, since November all cruises on this ship have been badly affected by norovirus ( bad gastro). They do a sanitation each time but it is still present. Just received an email from princess saying current cruise is affected 200 passengers and our boarding is delayed until 7.30pm for the ship to be disinfected.

We are going with our 15 month old DD and really worried about her getting sick, stuck at sea with a dehydrated baby not my idea of a vacation. If we did require medical help a doctor in on the ship but we are going to remote islands of Vanuatu and noumea, so going to a hospital might be hard.

Spoke with our doctor but that was no help. Obviously I'm packing hydralyte. But what would you do? Would you not go? Has anyone got norovirus before?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh no! I've had norovirus, it's horrendous and extremely contagious. All you can do is stay hydrated and wait it out - if it gets really bad the Dr can give you a shot of anti nausea medication. It's the reason I'm so hesitant about ever going on a cruise.
    Considering it's been persistent since November it's a big risk. Personally I would be freaking out and wouldn't be able to enjoy myself because I'd be constantly vigilant, waiting to get sick.
    I'm thinking the biggest risks for picking it up would be toilets in the public areas and buffets. You can't really avoid buffets in a cruise can you? People touch the utensils with their contagious (unwashed) hands, then you have to use them, then next thing you know you've picked it up they try to get people to use alcohol sanitizer beforehand, but it's ineffective against norovirus.
    Will you lose a lot of money if you don't go? You might just have to take the risk if you've prepaid and can't change it unfortunately.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (14-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Pretty much everything @rosey82 said
    Norovirus is extremely contagious. It will be hard to avoid. It's notorious for ripping through childcare centres, aged care facilities, and cruise ships.
    It doesn't last long (1-2 days) but is pretty violent. If you do catch it you probably won't all get sick the same day so you could potentially have the 3 of you sick across a whole week.
    If you can get out of going then I would.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been on a cruise which had a norovirus outbreak but none of us got sick in my family or my cousins family who were travelling with us. Luckily cousin had packed a can of glen20 and we had sanitiser on our lanyard. When there is virus outbreak the wait staff serve at he buffets so at least you won't be touching tongs. Lift buttons, stair hand rails may be a risk. Take as much medicine as you can with you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Not a chance in hell I would be getting on that boat. Can you imagine trying to look after a baby being sick yourself. Cancel and run far away. Edit. I'm a gastro phobe so very bias

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl  (15-02-2017),ICanDream  (14-02-2017),LaDiDah  (15-02-2017),PipersMummy  (14-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We would loose $750 in insurance excess and be stuck at home for 2 weeks. But i don't want Hannah to get sick she's never even had the sniffles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Wwyd - gastro outbreak on the cruise we are about to go on

I wouldn't risk it with a little one and I'd cancel. It's not just in surfaces but can go through the aircon vents etc

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bel2466 For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl  (15-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bezzy View Post
    I've been on a cruise which had a norovirus outbreak but none of us got sick in my family or my cousins family who were travelling with us. Luckily cousin had packed a can of glen20 and we had sanitiser on our lanyard. When there is virus outbreak the wait staff serve at he buffets so at least you won't be touching tongs. Lift buttons, stair hand rails may be a risk. Take as much medicine as you can with you.
    What medicine do you use? Just send hubby to the chemist and they told him nothing for gastro until 12 just keep hydrated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDE View Post
    What medicine do you use? Just send hubby to the chemist and they told him nothing for gastro until 12 just keep hydrated.
    That's correct. It's only if you have severe vomiting causing dehydration that a doctor will provide an injection to try and stop it.
    You shouldn't take loperamide (gastro-stop, Imodium etc) when you have diarrhea caused by gastroenteritis.
    It's a virus so there's no antibiotics or anything the main treatment is replacement fluids (electrolyte balanced) and paracetamol for headache/aches.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't go but I am also a gastrophobe. To the point where the thought of it makes me go into a panic.